AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: beneficial bacteria

Real Name
    Ricardo

Default beneficial bacteria

I purchased a couple of eheim 2213's for my 10g shrimp tanks and i have a few questions. i bought them used so i had to look up the manual online. from the instructions i got that the filter needs to not have any water in it before it gets primed. being a current rena user, they always have water in the filter. So, these tanks i'm setting up will have these eheim's and i plan to transfer ceramic rings from my rena's to these 2. but my question is, doesn't the beneficial bacteria die off without being in tank water? if so, how long? i'm having one heck of a time trying to figure out how these filters work since, excuse me saying it to all you die-hard eheim fans, the rena's seem a lot more straight forward and simpler to set up.

So, in conclusion, do i put all the media in the main basket (there are no separate baskets so i'm assuming i just dump everything in there) without water, and then prime? or do i put water in the filter and then try to prime?

TIA

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Ricardo

Default Re: beneficial bacteria

anyone?

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Default Re: beneficial bacteria

I never leave bio materials out of water for more than 15 mins. It may take longer , but never had a problem in less than 15.
    There is no reason you cannot put water in the filter. Filter has to be full to work. The media goes in coarse first (from bottom up) to fine
    Last edited by jimg; 10-28-2010 at 12:48 PM.