AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Nitrate filter

Change water, it's the best nitrate filter. A nitrate filter is useless in keeping discus.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Default Re: Nitrate filter

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Hughes View Post
    I've researched nitrate filters in the past, as I am a bit of a filtration nerd. Lol! Anyway, the biggest downfall of a nitrate filter is the maintenance + it only removes nitrates.

If you really want top notch water filtration I suggest implementing three systems. These apply to tanks 100 gallons +.

First, an oversized canister filter. This will house your biological media. The bigger the better. I'm in love with the Fluval FX5 and they're not expensive.

Second, a wet/dry system. This system serves two purposes. Degassing and ozone introduction.

Lastly, ozone. Ozone dosing in fresh water works, especially with fish like discus that demand CLEAN water. The O3 breaks organics down by oxidation. You'll see all of you parameters hit zero. Your water will be like glass.

IMHO this is THE most complete form of filtration you can employ. It's not expensive either. Shop around for components. Even if it does cost as much as a nitrate reactor, it will do far more than a nitrate reactor ever could!

Best wishes!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Like Chad, I'm also a filter nerd. I just put in a Fluval G6 where you can add your own chemical cartridge or combinations like Phosphorus and Nitrate. Nothing beats a water change though. I'd look into that option first.

Registered Member

I also decided to give this product a try. Ordered it today, I hope it will be here by Monday. I'll also post how it performs. My nitrates were showing about 30 ppm today.

Quote Originally Posted by RodneyL001 View Post
    I also decided to give this product a try. Ordered it today, I hope it will be here by Monday. I'll also post how it performs. My nitrates were showing about 30 ppm today.
    I did a lot of reading on this unit, and I am interested as well, but frankly my Nitrates are only 10 ppm which is what the ppm is coming out of the tap, so I will do it through media in my G6. I am interested though in how/what you feed this. my understanding is that vodka or sugar water is used.

Registered Member

Sugar water?!? Vodka?!? Sounds like trouble to me, can you explain please?

Registered Member

I guess the Vodka or Sugar is what feeds the bacteria. There are several people who have tried this product across several fish forums, seems like most people have had good things to say. When I get it, and if I can get it up and running I will post on this thread on how it works, Knircky has had some promising early results. It is an expensive unit, so if it would break the bank, it may not be worth the cost to you. It just so happens I was in a position to give it a try without causing a major crisis to my budget. I guess this is my contribution to the economy. I am usually conservative on trying new things, I was one of the last people to try a python, now I can't imagine fish keeping without one, I use to love my buckets. I am hoping this will also be one of those innovations.

Registered Member

Some time last week, the water coming out of the filter had 0 no3. A few days later my water in the tank has less than 20 no3.

I'm quite happy. It took a long time but I finally don't have to change water all the time.

Registered Member

Yes I feed water. I also have to add that the support is superb and I don't find the price high. My filter is like 3 feet tall and was only 350 bucks.

Registered Member

I meant to say I feed vodka :-)

Registered Member

Knircky, I am glad you are happy with the unit, mine has been up and running less than a week. The unit is very tall, that is one downfall that I see, I was unable to get the unit to fit under my tank cabinet. Are you going to use any other filtration? I know the directions say that it should be the main unit, and you should disconnect any biological filtration. I will have to see how my unit does for a while before I turn off some of my filtration. I am still showing about 30 ppm nitrates, but I have been only up and running for a few days. I am using Vodka also. The do have excellent customer service.

Registered Member

Any results to speak of as yet in terms of what your levels are now maintained at? Nitrates of course are not the only factor to take into consideration. Have you looked at the possibility of using an ozone with a reaction chamber as well to take care of any remaining nasties? And has anyone here just used denitrator filter medium instead? Having read about them, I'm not so keen on the idea of resins such as Purigen, but the Nitrate Filters nevertheless sounded brilliant.

Real Name
    Rick

Change water, it's the best nitrate filter. A nitrate filter is useless in keeping discus.
    While I tend to agree, I can see an exception if the user is on well water with his incoming water already high in nitrates, then its begins to make sense.

Real Name
    Rick

Chad,

I am curious have you ever looked into a turf algea filter for nitrate reduction?

Quote Originally Posted by nc0gnet0 View Post
    While I tend to agree, I can see an exception if the user is on well water with his incoming water already high in nitrates, then its begins to make sense.
    I guess you didn't read the first post from the OP, he did not mention anything about his source water having nitrates.

So in short:

1. Can we use nitrate filters to remove nitrate and thus reduce water changes, I.e. To once a week
    2. Which is the best nitrate filter to use
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Registered Member

Why be a luddite? What would anyone have against the use of as simple of a technology as a nitrate filter? And shouldn't everyone be using one for the optimal health of their discus regardless of whether they're doing water changes daily or weekly, budget permitting? Which would have its cost more than made up for in water bill savings and (particularly if having to RO filter), if it even slightly reduces the need for water changes.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast