ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Nitrate filter

Default Re: Nitrate filter

FYI:

Luddite: one who is opposed to especially technological change

I had to look it up. Never heard that term used before.

+1 for the personal vernacular.

Chad Hughes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Hughes View Post
    FYI:

Luddite: one who is opposed to especially technological change

I had to look it up. Never heard that term used before.

+1 for the personal vernacular.

And another +1 on the mark with his observations.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mxx View Post
    Why be a luddite? What would anyone have against the use of as simple of a technology as a nitrate filter? And shouldn't everyone be using one for the optimal health of their discus regardless of whether they're doing water changes daily or weekly, budget permitting? Which would have its cost more than made up for in water bill savings and (particularly if having to RO filter), if it even slightly reduces the need for water changes.
    That was my frame of mind when I bought the unit Mxx. My unit has been up and running for a little over a week now, setup was easy. After my unit has cycled, I'll post my results, the instructions say it could take as little as two weeks and as much as 8 weeks. And yes I have tried a nitrate removing resin, I tried Nitra-Zorb a product made by API, I was not overly thrilled by the results, and the cost for me was prohibitive. I have a 125 gal tank for my discus, that would require two pouches at almost $20.00 a pop, API says to replace them every two months.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by RodneyL001 View Post
    That was my frame of mind when I bought the unit Mxx. My unit has been up and running for a little over a week now, setup was easy. After my unit has cycled, I'll post my results, the instructions say it could take as little as two weeks and as much as 8 weeks. And yes I have tried a nitrate removing resin, I tried Nitra-Zorb a product made by API, I was not overly thrilled by the results, and the cost for me was prohibitive. I have a 125 gal tank for my discus, that would require two pouches at almost $20.00 a pop, API says to replace them every two months.
    I believe I heard that that nitrate absorbing resin have some side-effects on the water as well with how they work. And personally I'd rather avoid chemical treatment if bacteria can by natural means (albeit in a filtration system enhanced for their benefit) accomplish the same thing and for free.

I'm reviewing all these matters in anticipation of setting up a large planted discus display tank, but I've also had people reporting now that their heavily planted tanks had zero nitrates even without any denitrifying filters. So maybe I'd be better off avoiding a nitrate filter actually, unless I was also going to make a habit of peeing in my tank in order to continue to keep the plants sufficiently fed...

Some real entrepreneurs, LOL. Good luck
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    Some real entrepreneurs, LOL. Good luck
    I have no clue what this comment means, so we will treat it for what it is. LOL

Now on to the good news...

The good Lord provided the bacteria that eat nitrates, and a company has made it possible for fish keepers with the means to do so to take advantage of it.

I will look forward to updates on this product. For those of you who do not have a dog in this fight, do the rest of us a favor and get out of these kinds of threads. We don't need your negativity and backwards thinking to help us decide how to spend our money. Thanks!

edit...

Should have noted..for those of us who have the money we will greatly appreciate if you STFU... Thanks!
    Last edited by Frankr409; 01-10-2011 at 08:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frankr409 View Post
    I have no clue what this comment means, so we will treat it for what it is. LOL

Now on to the good news...

The good Lord provided the bacteria that eat nitrates, and a company has made it possible for fish keepers with the means to do so to take advantage of it.

I will look forward to updates on this product. For those of you who do not have a dog in this fight, do the rest of us a favor and get out of these kinds of threads. We don't need your negativity and backwards thinking to help us decide how to spend our money. Thanks!

Yeah, what he said!
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Registered Member

The filter is working wonders, my no3 levers have been constantly below 20 even though I can't eliminate it entirely.

The fish seem extremely happy. I'm changing the water every two weeks. The fish don't like new water, but I'm guessing I have to change water sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Knircky View Post
    The filter is working wonders, my no3 levers have been constantly below 20 even though I can't eliminate it entirely.

The fish seem extremely happy. I'm changing the water every two weeks. The fish don't like new water, but I'm guessing I have to change water sometimes.
    WOW!!!

You almost made me drop my WC hose from laughter when i read this, So now you have me wondering........ what differences do your Discus display when they go from normal happy to "extremely happy"?

Sorry to have to ask, But I honestly can not tell the difference with my Discus!

I better stop posting and finish my WC before my Discus start looking sad!
    "Don't count your Discus before they hatch" ............Joe

Registered Member

My nitrate levels are also dropping. I am doing once a week water changes now. I also want to get to water changes once every other week. The directions on my nitrate filter says it may get your nitrate levels down to zero. I hope that is not the case, because I have live plants.

Registered Member

I still have nitrates in my water, I'm feeding 4 times a day with auto feeder and trow in blood worms brine shrimp and beef heart as well. But the nitrates remain below lowest scale on my test kit. I also have plants.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Knircky View Post
    I still have nitrates in my water, I'm feeding 4 times a day with auto feeder and trow in blood worms brine shrimp and beef heart as well. But the nitrates remain below lowest scale on my test kit. I also have plants.
    Well your system seems to be doing well. I am doing twice a day feedings, including live black worms and flake foods. I did add 4 new discus to my tank, so that added some additional challenges to my system. Thus far, I am pleased with my filter.

Still following this Knircky, and long term it's effectiveness and it's affect on the health of the fish..By long term, I mean over a course of several months to a year. I hope you keep this thread updated to that point, with any news, whether good or bad
    Jennie,

Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten

Registered Member

I will :-)

Registered Member

Are there any other metabolic byproducts which you are monitoring or treating, such as phosphates? For reasons of algal growth I was concerned with phosphates, and the only ways I know to deal with phosphates are live plants or chemical filtration. I'm using both on my current tank, at least until I finish updating my lighting and CO2 at which point I'll drop the use of the Seachem Phosguard and should be able to rely exclusively on the plants.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast