AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If bloodworms harbor parasites then why do most sponsors feed them to there fish?

Default If bloodworms harbor parasites then why do most sponsors feed them to there fish?

I have seen lots of people claim bloodworms are bad to feed discus because no matter what form they are in they still might be carriers of parasites. If this is true then why do most of our sponsors feed them to there fish?

Here is a thread talking about bloodworms and parasites

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...ght=bloodworms

Here is a thread of what most sponsors feed there fish

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...ed-Discus-What
    My wife names my fish

Default Re: If bloodworms harbor parasites then why do most sponsors feed them to there fish?

I can't say that I have ever had any issues with parasites in blood worms. I used them regularly as a dietary staple for years and had no problems. Typically you run in to problems if the worms, or any food for that matter, is not kept at minimum temperatures over time. To kill parasites in foods a sub zero temperatur must be ahieved for 30 to 48 hours. Never feed a frozen food that has been thawed for any extended peiod of time. Keep stuff frozen!

Best wishes!
    Chad Hughes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Registered Member

Default Re: If bloodworms harbor parasites then why do most sponsors feed them to there fish?

I thought it was tubifex worms were more prone to parasites since they're raised in a dirty environment?

Registered Member

I have had "off" brands of FBW's get my fish sick. Which is why I only use Hikari, tho I have used Omega-1 with no problems. Tubifex=problems, tho most live worms for hobbyist are Blackworms...which is ANOTHER hot topic...Bill

Great points Bill!

Things like this always come back to a reputable source. Just like discus, if you buy something that has a price that is to good to be true or a brand you've never heard of you're bond for trouble. CBW are great and I use them all the time! YOu have to get a good source and keep them cold and in clean water. Bottom line, do your homework and buy quality. That has always worked for me.
    Chad Hughes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Registered Member Elite Aquaria's Avatar

I have never had problems when feeding Hikari
    frozen bloodworms.

I am not knocking any sponsor here I think they all have great fish and I have bought from them several times. I also feed my fish FBW I was just wondering why some say they are parasite carriers and are bad when most sponsors feed them to there fish. Makes it kind of confusing for the newbie people on what is good to feed discus and what is not. I know after reading both sides of the issue and if I did believe that BW were harmful to my fish because of parasites then seeing sponsors feeding there fish this might make me think other wise from buying from them. I mean who would want to buy fish that they thought might have internal parasites already and be sick. That is how it can be confusing to someone new to discus.
    My wife names my fish

I wont use my San Francisco Bay FBW they cause my fish to get sick every time I feed them. I have isolated three times where my fish had treatments and got better and the day after I feed them the FBW they are not right and they go down hill from there.

They love them though. Of course if I kept feeding them they would ultimately love them to death!!

David

I think the question that begs being asked is... Do you really know where your Bloodworms are farmed? and how they are processed?

I also think you need to re-phrase the question.. from "If bloodworms harbor parasites ...." to "can Bloodworms harbor parasites" and the answer to that question is a yes... so choose your sources wisely.

Heres a generalized description of the "bloodworms lifecycle...

http://www.ehow.com/about_5316164_bl...ife-cycle.html

Bloodworms are one stage in the life cycle of the non-biting Midge fly. The non-biting Midge, also known as chironomid, looks like a mosquito, but doesn't bite. Midges live near water and are found in streams, rivers, ditches, lakes and ponds. Midges are considered desirable insects in many settings and are a food source for fish and other aquatic life. They also help to keep waterways clean by consuming organic debris. The midge develops in a life cycle that includes four stages: egg, larvae (bloodworm), pupae and adult.

1. Egg
    2. The Midge lays her eggs on the surface of the water. The eggs are in a gelatinous egg mass that may contain up to 3,000 eggs. The egg mass sinks to the bottom of the water where it will hatch in up to one week.Larvae
    3. After the larvae leave the egg mass, they burrow into the mud or build small tube-like structures in which to live. They will enlarge the tubes as they grow. They consume organic matter in the water and mud as they grow and also dispose of human waste in sewage plants.Bloodworm
    4. During the larval stage, the larvae will become pink and eventually dark red. This comes from hemoglobin in the Midge fly's blood. This iron-containing compound allows the larvae to respire in the low oxygen conditions in the muddy bottoms of the waterway.

During the bloodworm phase, the larvae will be in a C-shape. Most of the Midge fly's life is spent in this phase of its development, during which it will move itself with a swimming-like motion that includes wriggling in a figure of eight loops.Pupae
    5. Two to seven weeks after entering the larval stage, the bloodworm will cease to exist as the maturing Midge fly enters pupae while still living in its tube. Three days after entering pupae, it will swim to the surface of the water and the adult will emerge a few hours later.Adult
    6. The mature Midge fly, which will appear to look like a mosquito, will mate in a swarm soon after emerging. The adult fly will lay her eggs by skimming the water's surface in flight. The adult fly will never eat and will live only three to five days in this final stage of development.

Read more: Bloodworm Life Cycle | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/about_5316164_bl...#ixzz15m67v2xE

After reading the life cycle of the midge....I can see how a bloodworm could pick up something that may be parasitic...many parasites use inverts as an intermediary host in complex relationships we don't fully understand yet.

hth,
    al
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 11-19-2010 at 07:48 PM.
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Great post Al!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    After reading the life cycle of the midge....I can see how a bloodworm could pick up something that may be parasitic...many parasites use inverts as an intermediary host in complex relationships we don't fully understand yet.
    I've seen first hand the whole cycle plenty of times, no Blood worms on casa de Ed, certainly not on my fridge!!! Unless someone comes up with a certified sterile lab quality aquaculture facility just for BW.
    BTW, they really seem to love stagnant or low current water full of detritus, often detritus made of broken-up tree leaves.
    When science and magic collide, the story begins.

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post

hth,
    al
    I only buy Hikari so I hope that is the best FBW for my fish. Thanks for the info Al I hope I didn't upset anyone here. I just didn't understand why if they are or can be carriers of parasites and people are telling us not to feed them to our fish then why do so many people including sponsors use them. Sounds to me like we are playing with a loaded gun using them.
    My wife names my fish

I think when we feed our fish it comes down to our own personal comfort zone as to whatwe feel comfortable with as a Risk... Some feel very comfortable feeding foods that others do not...I think we all have some of these.

I think it'd be wrong to say all Blood worms are carriers of disease.But I also think it fair to say that given their lifecycle and the types of water they are collected/farmed in..that theres a fair chance that SOME may be a problem in any population... Ironically...I don't use them any longer....Not so much because the above reason....but because I am very very allergic to blood worms now...... and I have found a much better alternative,IMO.

hth,
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

I've never had a problem with Hikari frozen bloodworms. They are the only type I feed. Like Al, I'm allergic to them. I tend to use mysis shrimp, beef heart, or a good staple pellet now and only feed bloodworms a couple times a week at most. Fry do love them and so do discus, but they are impractical for most large cichlids because of the amount you'd need to really fill them up and match the nutritional value of a good pellet.

I have never fed live food to any of my current stock unless they're culled fry, which I know are clean since they were bred and raised in my home.

Registered Member

I use them. I have a on again...off again relationship with them. I too, am HIGHLY allergic to the frozen form. Hikari claims they "sterilize" their worms. Maybe that makes the difference. All in all...I don't feel they are all that nutritious compared to other foods. Convenient yes...and the fish love them, which is why I like them...but soon the price of them will be more than I am willing to pay, as the Hikari brand seems to keep going up...and that's when I drop them all together. For good...Bill

I like Hikari frozen bloodworm's and have used them without having any issues, BUT Mal's Freeze dried Black worms are a much better food to feed IMHO as they are much cleaner, The fish go nuts for them, and I think grow faster.

Thats just My 2 Penny's worth.
    "Don't count your Discus before they hatch" ............Joe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast