AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Using Carbon in canister filter

Default Re: Using Carbon in canister filter

Again, I don't see how any of this really matters

Here's my take on this, and yes, this is my opinion, (the people paying me to do their research may not be happy about me wasting time on ending the AC debate - and even if I did, people will still probably fight about it):

This -SPECIFIC- (i.e this thread) discussion is more an exercise in logic than quoting studies, experts, or conducting your own experiments.

Lets present the knowns (or at least the accepted facts):
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Everyone agrees carbon takes in bad toxins right?
    Everyone agrees that at a certain point carbon can not take any additional toxin in right?
    If the toxins were -NOT- removed by the carbon they would still be there.

So if carbon released toxins they already absorbed, the tank is no better off than it would have been if the carbon was not there to begin with? If carbon is not releasing toxins then there's no problems.

I hope I was clear in my presentation?

So it comes down to: Do you need to change your carbon? If so, how often.

The answer to the first question is yes, why keep an ineffective product around? The answer to the second problem - have at it, debate that and quote whatever journals you want.

Also, I'll probably look up research just because I appear to be doing everything but studying for my finals... but if the carbon does release toxins back into the water, at what rate and to waht extent? If the rate is low and if there is a point where it stops releasing it then the negative outcome may be negligible.
    Eric

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Eddie

Default Re: Using Carbon in canister filter

Quote Originally Posted by Jennie View Post
    Chad is right, you won't get a straight answer, if one at all. I change mine 1x a week..Recommended for the average tank is every 2 weeks, but with the diet discus are fed, the water mucky's up quickly, even with 90% water changes daily! At least that is my experience. Depending on stocking levels in the tank as well... The carbon is to aid in removing impurities and such from the water, and works well as long as maintained properly.
    I know this post is 5 years old, but. IMO I don't think you need to do 90% water changes daily. That's a bit insane, who has the time for that.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123