AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: # of discus per tank

Registered Member

Default Re: # of discus per tank

While I am a newbie, I am learning a lot in a short period. I am doing 20 gallon/day WC split morning and night so it only takes a few minutes. I am watching and learning the fish and water characteristics as I go. So in my 120 I am changing 140 gallons a week on the 120G tank. If I understand the suggestions correctly, most are suggesting this is not enough for a planted 120 with plenty of dither fish in the tank? I have a female that has laid eggs in the tank for the 3rd time since the fish were introduced into the tank (less than a month). I understand that water testers only tell some of the story, the story I am getting is zero nitrates, ammonia and KH/GH is 4 and 5 respectively. I feel the fish look like things could be better for them (behavior, etc...) but I must say they LOOK healthier every day. The colors are getting better, they look less labored in breathing and I am guessing that this egg laying mite turn out different than the last 2. They are stuck like glue on the eggs and constant breathing on them, none have turned white; time will tell all. In a few more posts, i will have met the minimum requirement to post a picture so I can ask for more evaluative input. In the meantime, any other input you can give me on my 120G with 9 large/medium discus and mates living in. With the water and fish looking good, is it still the general consis that I need to step up the WC volume? Thanks for all the great input. -Dan

Registered Member

I meant general consensus that I need to step up the WC volume?

correct Dan.. can't wait to see the pics!
    Jennie,

Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten

Registered Member

Forgive me, I misspoke in my previous post; NITRITES are 0, nitrates are <10 PPM

Registered Member

Sorry to post without info, but this will allow me to post a picture now. LOL...

Registered Member

The tank (plants) look a bit rough now, since it just came out of a 10 day 88 degree window. It is now set at 85 degrees and these videos are a couple days old;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlOPiTRBrxs
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VZelqUtuF0

Let me know what you think, i have thick skin so feel free to be brutal...

Well, seem to look healthy as of now, breathing is normal..looks great Dan!
    Jennie,

Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten

Registered Member

Dan, your tank looks amazing! Keep the good work, just hope i can get mine looking as good. What lighting is that? DiscusLover65 and Dan, sorry if i seem to of dragged my research across to this thread, just seems very hard to get a good thread going, but i guess that comes with time?
    Great reading on this thread though has helped alot.

Registered Member

Lighting is 30 watt Aqua Beam Ultra 1000 Reef White fixtures, I have 4 of these in the lid and two 54 watt T5 HO bulbs for color enhancement. The Cardinal tetras look just like they each swallowed a AA battery and are lit from the inside under these lights. the video does not even come close to the brilliance of those little fishes while viewing live. Almost takes your eyes away from the majestic discus (just almost).

Registered Member

IMO- It would be better to do one or two large water changes of 50% to 90% per week rather than many small water changes every day. For one, I would quickly tire of doing two wc/day without an automated system. Second, one large water change will be more effective. When you change small amounts of water at a time, you are actually removing some of the new water with each wc. One large wc will leave the fish with cleaner water and you with less work.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan W View Post
    While I am a newbie, I am learning a lot in a short period. I am doing 20 gallon/day WC split morning and night so it only takes a few minutes. I am watching and learning the fish and water characteristics as I go. So in my 120 I am changing 140 gallons a week on the 120G tank. If I understand the suggestions correctly, most are suggesting this is not enough for a planted 120 with plenty of dither fish in the tank? I have a female that has laid eggs in the tank for the 3rd time since the fish were introduced into the tank (less than a month). I understand that water testers only tell some of the story, the story I am getting is zero nitrates, ammonia and KH/GH is 4 and 5 respectively. I feel the fish look like things could be better for them (behavior, etc...) but I must say they LOOK healthier every day. The colors are getting better, they look less labored in breathing and I am guessing that this egg laying mite turn out different than the last 2. They are stuck like glue on the eggs and constant breathing on them, none have turned white; time will tell all. In a few more posts, i will have met the minimum requirement to post a picture so I can ask for more evaluative input. In the meantime, any other input you can give me on my 120G with 9 large/medium discus and mates living in. With the water and fish looking good, is it still the general consis that I need to step up the WC volume? Thanks for all the great input. -Dan
    Scott

Registered Member

Smile Re: # of discus per tank

Quote Originally Posted by scottthomas View Post
    IMO- It would be better to do one or two large water changes of 50% to 90% per week rather than many small water changes every day. For one, I would quickly tire of doing two wc/day without an automated system. Second, one large water change will be more effective. When you change small amounts of water at a time, you are actually removing some of the new water with each wc. One large wc will leave the fish with cleaner water and you with less work.
    Scottthomas, you have brought up a point that I am evaluating now. I am keeping smaller WC in the short run so I do not expose the eggs in the tank that have been cared for over the past 3 days. They are only 4 inches under the surface. I am also getting ready to contact a plumber to come out and plumb a laundry tub in a closet that is behind the wall directly behind the tank. this will give me water and drain 10 inches from the tank through the wall. Being new at this, I am still trying to develop the best strategy for me in water management for the fish and other tank contents. Still looking at the option of tap (well) water vs. RO mix. I really want to thank all the great input from everyone allowing me to sift through the great options I haven't thought of and decide what might work for me.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234