ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: # of discus per tank

Registered Member

Default # of discus per tank

What would be considered a ok number of discus per tank as the discus grow.
    I have 10 discus that are getting close to 2 ". I know I should be moving them to a 55 soon but as they grow when will I have too many in my 55.

I would guess that there is a easy formula for this like 1 adult discus per --- gal of water.

Default Re: # of discus per tank

Usually it's 1 adult per 10 gallon...
    Pete
    MAGA

From what I have read its 1 discus per 10 gal so you dont stunt there growth. I'm not sure but I think thats how it goes...

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by wendy9722 View Post
    From what I have read its 1 discus per 10 gal so you dont stunt there growth. I'm not sure but I think thats how it goes...
    Dunno about stunting, but that's the general rule to maintain high water quality w/o extreme diligence. I think it's smart when growing out fish 3" or larger, too, because it really takes a lot of food for them to reach full potential, an amazing amount of food. I'm of the opinion that over feeding growing discus is impossible, but over feeding their tank is quite possible... water quality deteriorates a lot slower in larger volumes of water for the same amount of fish & food, making it a very good thing...

Registered Member

1 per 10 gallon

Based on what dick au said: 15, 2 or 3" discuses in a 20G tall.
    MFK member - Either way.....Wow, youre so overstocked and underfiltered. They need at least a 4000 gallon tank with a million times turnover rate for filtration along with 300% daily w/c's. Make sure to treat with prime and you'll be gold!.

i started with Quarter size fry, almost 40.. and i have grown some of them to good solid 3".. others not so fast.. but it didn't take me long before i split from the 29g to a 30g & 29g.. i am about to put them into a 55g or 75g (if/when i buy it) so its possible look at my pics in my profile and in my thread "JACK WATTLEY METHOD">. and you can see what i have done in 4 months
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

I can keep just as many or more juvenile Discus in a 40 gal breeder than I can in a 55 gal.
    The popular 55 gal gal tank is one of the worst things that ever became popular in the hobby. They have a terrible volume to surface area ratio and I strongly recommend using nothing smaller than a 75 gal for 10 Discus. I know that does not fit the 10 gal of water per fish rule but a 75 is a heck of a lot better to use than a 55 gal and the amount of floor space needed for either tank is about the same. If you keep up with the water changes and make them at least 70% every 4th day or so 10 adults can do well in a 75 gal.
    You will almost certainly get a couple of pairs and if you decide to try to breed them, just the removal of a pair brings you back down to close to 10 gal per fish.
    It is often helpful to begin with a smaller tank like a 40 breeder for the initial grow out when feeding is heavy and make a lot of water changes. Only move them to the final larger tank when they are getting over 3-1/2 to 4 inches.
    Surface area is more important than absolute volumes. 55 gal tanks are not really quite the bargain they first appear to be as a "large" Discus aquarium. The extra cost for the 75 gal tank is well worth it. The basic aquarium equipment used is about the same cost for either tank.
    Here is how the surface areas of 3 tanks compares.
    55 gal show 576 square inches almost the same room foot print where you can go with a 75 gal/864 sq in of surface area.
    40 gal brdr 648 square inches
    75 gal 864 square inches
    Few people have ever regretted buying a 75 gal instead of a 55 for their Discus.
    Larry Waybright

Quote Originally Posted by Apistomaster View Post
    I can keep just as many or more juvenile Discus in a 40 gal breeder than I can in a 55 gal.
    The popular 55 gal gal tank is one of the worst things that ever became popular in the hobby. They have a terrible volume to surface area ratio and I strongly recommend using nothing smaller than a 75 gal for 10 Discus. I know that does not fit the 10 gal of water per fish rule but a 75 is a heck of a lot better to use than a 55 gal and the amount of floor space needed for either tank is about the same. If you keep up with the water changes and make them at least 70% every 4th day or so 10 adults can do well in a 75 gal.
    You will almost certainly get a couple of pairs and if you decide to try to breed them, just the removal of a pair brings you back down to close to 10 gal per fish.
    It is often helpful to begin with a smaller tank like a 40 breeder for the initial grow out when feeding is heavy and make a lot of water changes. Only move them to the final larger tank when they are getting over 3-1/2 to 4 inches.
    Surface area is more important than absolute volumes. 55 gal tanks are not really quite the bargain they first appear to be as a "large" Discus aquarium. The extra cost for the 75 gal tank is well worth it. The basic aquarium equipment used is about the same cost for either tank.
    Here is how the surface areas of 3 tanks compares.
    55 gal show 576 square inches almost the same room foot print where you can go with a 75 gal/864 sq in of surface area.
    40 gal brdr 648 square inches
    75 gal 864 square inches
    Few people have ever regretted buying a 75 gal instead of a 55 for their Discus.
    I get 624 sq inches for the area of the tank bottom in my calculation for 55G (48x13). I'm a novice in discus keeping but it seems to me the 24 sq inch different would be overcome by the 15 extra gallons of water. I also read somewhere that height was more important to discus keeping that length...

I have a 75G but I regret not paying the extra $15 for a 90G (same footprint). The LFS had a sale on all their tanks for $1/gallon (glass).

At least those are the measurements of my 55G and what's listed at http://freshaquarium.about.com/od/aq...zesweights.htm

I currently have 18 in my 125, various sizes and running with AC 110, a second HOB rated for 70 and 2 sponge filters.. It works, it's clean and fish happy
    Jennie,

Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten

Way to go, discuslover, nothing wrong with that !
    I'm an adherant of the 'pros' who now say that the long-time, usually accepted rule of thumb one 1 adult discus for every 10 gals., and pro-rata ratios for smaller discus, is not only outdated, but far exceeds the level of reasonable caution, particularly with the knowledge today regarding the benefit/necessity of w/c's, and technology which has produced superior filtration methods and approaches. If your routine maintains clean tanks & good water quality, then your observation & instinct can tell you if you're seeing any stress from overcrowding - you'll likely know when your fish are unhappy with their circumstances. If you want to keep 12 - 4" discus in a 90 gallon tank, e.g., and you have some idea about water quality maintenance & general tank cleanliness, go for it !

Quote Originally Posted by discuspaul View Post
    you have some idea about water quality maintenance & general tank cleanliness, go for it !
    I agree with you......HOWEVER caution should be taken giving advise to new hobbist whom may not know how to maintain clean water or observe for signs of stress.....The 1adult per 10 gallon is just a "General Rule"....Outdated or not.....It is a fairly save rule to go by to give someone the best chance to not end up in the Disease section. JMO
    Pete
    MAGA

Hey Paul, they all seem to be doing really good...I do change out tank water up to 90-95 percent day+ though, and feed 2x only now too so as far as Packing them in like that, I wouldn't suggest that to anyone unless they are on top of WC, filter maintenance and daily wipe downs. This also hasn't been in play long term to suggest it is wise, still monitoring it. If you think about tanks like forrests or Hans tanks being filled to the max and still being able to maintain healthy fish, it must boil down to clean water, clean tanks and clean filters which = healthy fish. I will also add after being pleased with my AC110 I will be adding a second one to the tank.
    Last edited by Jennie; 11-30-2010 at 10:00 AM.
    Jennie,

Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten

This is great information as I have a 55g with 4 discus and 3 angles... I do keep up on my water changes 2-3/week at 40 gallons at a time and make sure the that my fishes are not stressed. The all eat like little monsters and I can see that they are very happy in their home.. I do plan on moving the discus into a 75 or 90 shortly after the new year and then fill the 55 with just angles.. I would try to ad hear to the 1/10 rule in the new tank but, its nice to know that with the right filtration and proper care you can stretch that limit without stressing the fish out.
    --Nick--

discuslover:
    I'm sure you'll find that adding another AC 110 to your tank will improve your conditions noteably.
    I run 2 AC 110's on my 75 gal. (foam pads, floss, & Purigen, mainly) & manage to keep crystal clear conditions at all times, even with 9 - 3.5" +, & growing, discus & some dither fish. I do min. 50% w/c's 3-4 X week, with full wipedowns & filter sand vac's every time. April Ross (April's Aquarium -sponsor) maintains her "own" 125 gal. tank in her store, with 16 fully adult discus (one or two over 7"), and has done so for a long time as far as I know. They're thriving, & getting along spendidly - they look great - & 2 pairs are constantly spawning, so I was told - not sure if that's correct - but I did note 3 cones in that tank.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast