AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: # of discus per tank

Default Re: # of discus per tank

Really? That's good to know that it can be done.
    Jennie,

Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten

Yeah, & if you're talking specifically about my comments on April's tank - She knows what she's doing - 20 years' + experience & she is the premier importer/seller of Forrest discus this side of the border. Her fish are probably the healthiest stock you can get in Canada, and her store is no doubt Forrest's "home" outlet in this country - same as Kenny's of Daly City, Ca. is in the U.S. That's my take on it anyway.

??? Yes I was commenting...you did bring it up after all..Forrest is top notch..so I'm confused to your statement..Are you trying to convince me of something?
    Jennie,

Not trying to convince you of anything . You said: "really ?, that's good to know it can be done". I assumed you were talking about my little story regarding April's tank - & just in case you weren't aware of her background of experience & her reputation, I was simply trying to fill you in a little. Nothing else intended. Sorry if I was misunderstood, or my wording had you taking it the wrong way.

ah I do know of her good rep, and will never see he fishstore, but hear is nice.. Considering one of her sources is Forrest, no doubt, she has nice fish
    Jennie,

It is one fish per gallon, but I'm not putting one fish in a 10G tank............

Registered Member

Hmmm...I just hit the 1 year mark a couple months ago but I'm thinking...less is more. I'll be putting 8 adults in a 5ft 120g & hoping for the best, that seems like a lot of fish. Of couse, I'm used to stocking for "hiding bottom feeders" but discus are BIG fish & I'm hoping to get away from the daily(ish) water changes. For me it seems easier to manage, JME so far...

That's not allot of fish. They should do great!
    Jennie,

Quote Originally Posted by BODYDUB View Post
    It is one fish per 10 gallons, but I'm not putting one fish in a 10G tank............
    Fixed.............

Registered Member

I am new to discus and planted tanks in general. I have jumped in with both feet and hope I have a successful adventure with this hobby. I have a 45 day old 120G tank setup with 9 adult discus a few over 6 inches, 5 dozen cardinals, 10 sterbei corys (bad SP?), 4 bristle nose, 8 siemestus, 8 espi rasboras, many plants, CO2 and controller, 180 watts of led lights, 108 watts of t5's, 3 G6 filters, 57 watt UV and an empty wallet. Am I overloaded in this tank? Am I doing enough water changing? Since I started the tank, I have done two 5 gallon buckets of water change in the morning and again in the evening. I do this 7 days a week. I started with many mistakes and will correct/adjust as I continue in the hobby. I know slow and steady would have been a MUCH better start, but I am committed to keeping these fish healthy. Getting help from the 2 closest LFS and doing OK. I had to return one dominate male yesterday. I have had 2 spawning events with the same female and two different males (I think). The first spawn was after a 2 day fight for dominance for the girl. I my surprise the male I thought lost had spawned with the female and they guarded eggs for two days then ate/gone. Two more days of fighting ensued with the same 2 males and the one I thought won the first time spawned with her. He has not allowed the first male to come out or eat for 3 days. The dominant one was removed yesterday and the 2nd male ate like a pig that evening. Like I said, I know I did it all wrong, but really want to make my mistakes work. Am I in your view doing enough volume of water changing at 10g morning, 10g evening 7 days a week? Water is RO with adjustments to KH of 4.5 and GH to 5. PH is set at 6.7 to 6.9 putting CO2 in the recommended range. I am totally/instantly addicted. Thoughts??????

dan W.

OMG>. i my A.D.D. Kicked in reading everything! lol

you have 90 fish.. in a 120?

have you tested Ammonia.. ?
    Thats a lot of fish poo going on in the tank.. wow!!

Discus love LOTS OF CLEAN WATER! doing 8% water changes twice a day maynot be enough.. more is always better.. for someone who is new to discus/plants.. man.. you sure did eat the whole enchilada withouth chewing!! )

there will always be a dominant fish and a fish at the bottom.. they have a Fish CAST system.. LOL>. unless a fish dies.. there is not need to remove fish.. the fish have stronger hearts then their owners.. LOL i would be more worried about the bio load

ps..welcome to SD!
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Please do yourself a favor, Dan. As Warlock pointed up, I think you need to lighten the bio-load. 90 fish + 9 large discus in a 120 could, & likely will, give you some trouble down the road, especially with those small daily w/c's.

Even with 9 discus only you need to up those changes to 75% or better daily
    Jennie,

Registered Member

Warlock, I am just now realizing the size of that enchilada; I am starting to feel a bit of indigestion now... My RO can only do 100 GPD and the salts, equilibrium alone looks like it will be $60 bucks a month. Guess I will be kicking up the water change volume starting tonight. I will be more aggressively looking at a way to partially automate the water/brew preparation process. I wonder if I can mix my RO with my well water to get my KH/GH close with less chemical additives without adding lots of things i do not want in the tank? Thanks for the input guys, living on the internet trying to make sure I am doing the right things to keep these fish healthy. I will post pics in a more appropriate place here on SD.
    Quote Originally Posted by warlock4169 View Post
    dan W.

OMG>. i my A.D.D. Kicked in reading everything! lol

you have 90 fish.. in a 120?

have you tested Ammonia.. ?
    Thats a lot of fish poo going on in the tank.. wow!!

Discus love LOTS OF CLEAN WATER! doing 8% water changes twice a day maynot be enough.. more is always better.. for someone who is new to discus/plants.. man.. you sure did eat the whole enchilada withouth chewing!! )

there will always be a dominant fish and a fish at the bottom.. they have a Fish CAST system.. LOL>. unless a fish dies.. there is not need to remove fish.. the fish have stronger hearts then their owners.. LOL i would be more worried about the bio load

ps..welcome to SD!

Dan I would lighten the load up and just keep discus, 2 dz cards and the cory's, and still do large WC daily
    Jennie,

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast