AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

View Poll Results: Live Blackworms Worth The Effort?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes they rock! Give them a try. Staple food.

36 72.00%
  • Live BW are alright but not worth the effort.

6 12.00%
  • BW made my fish SICK!

6 12.00%
  • Live White worms are better than Black worms

2 4.00%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: California Blackworms- Good or Bad?

Registered Member underwaterforest's Avatar

Default LIVE California Blackworms- Good or Bad?

So I'm thinking of trying some live California black worms out to help induce breeding responses. So far I have given my discus a wide variety of foods from BH mixes to plain pellet and flake foods. And I find that my fishes standards are prime reef flakes, tetra colors bits and of course bloodworms (their favorite) along with some BH mix. Locally I can't find the hikari brand FBW and have to deal with San Francisco bay brand.

I would feed more of my BH heart mix but they like it sometimes and other times not. They have been the same way with the mal's FDBW, they really liked it for the first month but after that they got tired of it. I find that I have to keep changing up their food to keep them interested.

So that leads me to give live black worms a try. I know the fish will love live wiggling food, doesn't all fish. But I still am a little leary due to the info about possible disease transmission. What do you think should I give live BW a try? Or maybe should I get a culture of white worms going (where do I get starter cultures), or maybe both?

Alex (Trying to do the best for his few discus fish)
    Last edited by underwaterforest; 11-30-2010 at 07:40 PM. Reason: Better title
    Alex 92 Gallon Discus Corner Tank, 55 gallon Discus Grow Up Tank, 20 gallon Shrimp/Plant Tank, 36 Gallon Corner Planted/Fish Tank, 29 Gallon Breeding Tank

Default Re: LIVE California Blackworms- Good or Bad?

I believe firmly that anything live is beter that something processed. I love CBWs. You should also give red wiggers a try, and in the warmer months mosquito larvae.
    Mama Bear

Default Re: California Blackworms- Good or Bad?

I've been using live black worms daily from Dan at Aquatic Foods for going on 2 years. I've fed them to discus, geos, catfish, trout, juvie cichla, even feeders. Great food. From my experience, I think the disease transmission thing is BS. There may be some truth to it if you had filthy, dying worms, but Dan sends a clean product, and I've not seen it.
    Darrell

I have used BW in the past with negative results and problems..As of a couple of monthes ago i restarted using them with great results..Knock on wood and hope it keeps going good..By the way ,I have just ordered a LB. of them today..I had whiteworm cultures,but they were a constant pain to keep going ecspecially in the warm monthes..I personally did not see the benefit outside of the cost of blackworms compared to whiteworms..IMO.
    Last edited by moik; 11-30-2010 at 09:20 PM.

Thanks guys I think its worth the possible risk and will order some from Dan as soon as he decides to pick up his phone (I tried earlier but either it was busy or went to VM).

I wonder if a lb if too much for 7 adult discus?

I also picked up some cultures of white worms and other small micro worms /nematodes to try if I ever do get theses discus to breed. Plus some red wrigglers when I get my compost box back online, I did like raising red worms but it was hard for me to get my girlfriend to let me feed them to the fish (she didn't like seeing our hard working worms get eaten alive).

Alex
    Last edited by underwaterforest; 11-30-2010 at 10:31 PM.
    Alex 92 Gallon Discus Corner Tank, 55 gallon Discus Grow Up Tank, 20 gallon Shrimp/Plant Tank, 36 Gallon Corner Planted/Fish Tank, 29 Gallon Breeding Tank

Registered Member

They work great. you just have to make sure you take care of them.

Quote Originally Posted by underwaterforest View Post
    Thanks guys I think its worth the possible risk and will order some from Dan as soon as he decides to pick up his phone (I tried earlier but either it was busy or went to VM).

I wonder if a lb if too much for 7 adult discus?

I also picked up some cultures of white worms and other small micro worms /nematodes to try if I ever do get theses discus to breed. Plus some red wrigglers when I get my compost box back online, I did like raising red worms but it was hard for me to get my girlfriend to let me feed them to the fish (she didn't like seeing our hard working worms get eaten alive).

Alex
    The best way to get hold of Dan is by email. It seems most of his business is done by email rather than by phone. In fact, I think I've only talked to him 3 times on the phone in 2 years, and 2 of those 3 times he called me. When I send him an email order, I almost always get a confirmation within a couple hours, and the FEDEX dude brings them to my door the next morning. It's far cheaper shipping wise to order 2 lbs. at a time rather than 1. They will keep about 3 weeks if you keep them rinsed, don't crowd them too much, and don't add too much water to the container. Seven adults should be able to handle 2 lbs. by that time.
    Last edited by Darrell Ward; 12-01-2010 at 12:48 AM.
    Darrell

umm is the live cal blackworm the same as the freeze dried black worms from Australia?

OK, I sent Dan a email thanks for the heads up Darrell. I'll try the 2lb out and see how my fish like them.

Anybody have a good suggestion for a good DIY low cost worm keeper? I find it very hard to pay 50 dollars for 5 little plastic containers that's more than the cost of the worms. But if Dan's worm keepers are that good maybe I will revise my order. Also I have a few empty aquariums and lots of gear around my house is there a good way to keep them long term in one so I can order larger and less?

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by uberdave View Post
    umm is the live cal blackworm the same as the freeze dried black worms from Australia?
    Yep, from my research they are are the one and the same.

Quote Originally Posted by underwaterforest View Post
    Anybody have a good suggestion for a good DIY low cost worm keeper? I find it very hard to pay 50 dollars for 5 little plastic containers that's more than the cost of the worms. But if Dan's worm keepers are that good maybe I will revise my order. Also I have a few empty aquariums and lots of gear around my house is there a good way to keep them long term in one so I can order larger and less?

Alex
    I use shallow plastic containers that I picked up at the dollar store. For the first week or so I rinse them twice a day at the rate 1/2 gallon water per 1lb. of worms. I keep 3 half gallon milk jugs of dechorinated water in the fridge for them. The rinsing is a bit of a pain, but the quality of the food makes it well worth it IMO.
    Mama Bear

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    I use shallow plastic containers that I picked up at the dollar store. For the first week or so I rinse them twice a day at the rate 1/2 gallon water per 1lb. of worms. I keep 3 half gallon milk jugs of dechorinated water in the fridge for them. The rinsing is a bit of a pain, but the quality of the food makes it well worth it IMO.
    Thanks Liz. Your advice just saved me 50 bucks (and I need it right now), SWEEEETT. I check the dollars store out for some appropriate containers.

Registered Member

Talking Re: California Blackworms- Good or Bad?

I’ve noticed that some of my fish don’t care for the FDBW’s after a few weeks. I wonder if they eventually become stale and taste bad? They definitely don’t smell as strong as they do during the first week.

Anyway, I also feed live blackworms.

Pros:
    - all my discus love them
    - easy to target feed with a mini turkey baster (not sure what the proper name is)
    - no excess food floating around the tank – IMPROVED WATER QUALITY
    - makes your discus vibrant and constantly begging for food at the front of the tank glass
    - discus grow quickly

Cons:
    - expensive
    - need to rinse daily
    - your discus will get seriously addicted to them (only some of my discus will eat flakes and I blame the blackworms)

For me, the best part of feeding blackworms is how easy it is target feed shy or smaller discus. Once your shy discus figure out how much they love these, they will race to the front of the tank whenever they see you coming. It’s easy to get those discus filled up and their growth back on track by feeding this food. I’ve had zero problems with disease since I made the switch. However, when I get a new batch of worms, I probably rinse them 5-7 times on the first day or two. Eventually, the water in the worm container will remain clear and you won’t need to rinse as much. I figure that I could spend time rinsing blackworms or additional time siphoning out uneaten beefheart, flakes and pellets in my tank. I choose rising blackworms . It seems like those other foods always produce a mess of some sort. With blackworms, every worm gets eaten.

I just noticed that the negative experience column went up to two.

Those who had problems with California blackworms want to share their experiences?

The only topic at the NADA Show that all speakers agreed on was - and I quote - "it's not a matter of if but when you will have problems from feeding live blackworms".

It's not often that many professionals agree on a subject.
    President NADA

SOS Crew - Texas

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast