ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

View Poll Results: Live Blackworms Worth The Effort?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes they rock! Give them a try. Staple food.

36 72.00%
  • Live BW are alright but not worth the effort.

6 12.00%
  • BW made my fish SICK!

6 12.00%
  • Live White worms are better than Black worms

2 4.00%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: California Blackworms- Good or Bad?

Default Re: California Blackworms- Good or Bad?

Quote Originally Posted by underwaterforest View Post
    Thanks Bill. I just think it's funny to make a blanket statement that black worms ALWAYS cause problems. And I agree that Jen is just one person and her views can't represent all of NADA and who know maybe she even changed her mind since she wrote the article.

I plan to try them and if I have problem I am prepared to hopefully fix them, that's why I'm experimenting with new food. I figured this would be a hot button topic that why I added the poll and wanted to see what good and bad things people felt about them. But in the end its my decision and I'm going to have to live with it and I will.
    Well, I'm jumping into this conversation late, but I'll say this. I've bought CBW and my fish absolutely loved them! I had some reluctant eaters after a serious bought of hexamita, and after treating them with metro, they were very reluctant. The worms turned their heads like a beautiful . . . hmmm, maybe I shouldn't go there! lol. Anyway, now that you've bought them, ENJOY THEM! Your fish sure will!

Registered Member underwaterforest's Avatar

So I'm really not tying to add fuel to the fire .

OK maybe I am

But what diseases/organisms have been indicated in being passed from BW to discus?
    Alex 92 Gallon Discus Corner Tank, 55 gallon Discus Grow Up Tank, 20 gallon Shrimp/Plant Tank, 36 Gallon Corner Planted/Fish Tank, 29 Gallon Breeding Tank

Just as an example of how often and how far this debate goes back - here are a few random old threads that read very similiar to this one:

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...ering-opinions
    http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...-are-you-crazy!!!
    http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...ive+blackworms
    President NADA

SOS Crew - Texas

Registered Member

This is probably THE hot button topic of Discus culture. Like Liz said...I only feed the worms to my breeders, my wilds, and other personal stock. What I have for sale NEVER sees a live worm, and no FBW's either. Too expensive to feed these foods. When my fish see me coming with my container and my Turkey baster, they get crazy as well!...Bill

I'll Limit my comments here....

Personally, If I were to ever feed Live Blackworms again, I would buy them from Dan at Aquaticfoods....and NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER from a LFS....or other middle man..Its a live food and perishable food!!!!.... storage and handling matter and affect its quality and can lead to issues.

As for parasites and diseases associated with Blackworms, Live, or Freeze dried....facts there are hard to come by. I've always been a skeptic that they existed though all wild critters interact with parasites and pathogens in some form....... I do believe blackworm cultures and husbandry that fail can cause major issues...which is one reason I don't use the Live ones any longer.

Just to be 100 % clear.... I am Biased on Blackworms...I personally use and sell Freeze Dried Ones and am extremely happy with them as they meet and exceed all my needs and goals as a hobbyist breeder of many fish species......Additionally I own this forum and am extremely pleased to have had Dan at Aquatic Foods as a sponsor here for years to service those Live worm Afficionados on the Forum. Live or Freeze dried...I believe these are a nutritionally sound food that fish love with minimal risk.

Please don't quote me or question me further....I've made this position clear for years on the forum and just summed it up again....take it for what its worth or file it in the circular filing basket known as the trash pail.

If I had a dollar for every post each time the great blackworm debate came up..I could fund this site 100% and go on vacation somewhere nice!!!!!!

have fun,
    al
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 12-01-2010 at 08:09 PM. Reason: clarification
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    I'll Limit my comments here....

Personally, If I were to ever feed Live Blackworms again, I would buy them from Dan at Aquaticfoods....and NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER from a LFS....or other middle man..Its a live food and perishable food!!!!.... storage and handling matter and affect its quality and can lead to issues.

As for parasites and diseases associated with Blackworms, Live, or Freeze dried....facts there are hard to come by. I've always been a skeptic that they existed though all wild critters interact with parasites and pathogens in some form....... I do believe blackworm cultures and husbandry that fail can cause major issues...which is one reason I don't use the Live ones any longer.

Just to be 100 % clear.... I am Biased on Blackworms...I personally use and sell Freeze Dried Ones and am extremely happy with them as they meet and exceed all my needs and goals as a hobbyist breeder of many fish species......Additionally I own this forum and am extremely pleased to have had Dan at Aquatic Foods as a sponsor here for years to service those Live worm Afficionados on the Forum. Live or Freeze dried...I believe these are a nutritionally sound food that fish love with minimal risk.

Please don't quote me or question me further....I've made this position clear for years on the forum and just summed it up again....take it for what its worth or file it in the circular filing basket known as the trash pail.

If I had a dollar for every post each time the great blackworm debate came up..I could fund this site 100% and go on vacation somewhere nice!!!!!!

have fun,
    al
    Don't you know Brew that nothing can beat the wiggle factor of something live? And do you really believe that nothing is lost during processing? Something is always lost. That's why fresh veggies and herbs taste best. Something is lost during the freezing or drying. We may not know what it is, but we can taste it so what ever it is isn't nothing
    Mama Bear

Here I can make some 100% accurate statements based on my experience!!!

I have never had any issues with disease caused by feeding my fish live California Blackworms from Dan! I am yet to see another food that, when maintained properly, causes such a feeding response, adds so much bulk, and gets the fish to breed as live blackworms.
    The second benefit is that they are a "clean" food, since the worms are alive, they don't mess up your water since the uneaten worms will survive untill they are eaten!

I have used Dan as a supplier for over 10 years now and have not found a single source of anything in this Hobby as reliable and as willing to please his customers, great people!

Rodrigo
    Rod Clement - SOS CREW NJ

What about eastern aquatics, ever use their worms?

Don't you know Brew that nothing can beat the wiggle factor of something live? And do you really believe that nothing is lost during processing? Something is always lost. That's why fresh veggies and herbs taste best. Something is lost during the freezing or drying. We may not know what it is, but we can taste it so what ever it is isn't nothing
    Liz,
    Mal has had his live and Freeze dried tested... they are nutritionally comparable...which is what Freezing drying is known for.....and quite frankly my discus seem to feel the same about them.

Can't tell you more than that...I know you are a big proponent of live foods....My fish Do just fine on a diet of Freeze dried worms, home made frzn BH and quality pellets with the occassional red wiggler for variety..... and many others fish do fine on an even less varied diet.

At the end of the day we all feed the fish what we feel comfortable with and get the best results from...and I am very comfortable feeding my fish FREEZE DRIED BLACKWORMS and have gotten excellent results with them.

-al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

What about eastern aquatics, ever use their worms?
    Tried them last year...no problems, but Dan is a sponsor.

-al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Eastern Aquatics is more expensive, at least the only time I checked...

I have a pair that is eating 100% only freeze dried blackworms from Al, and is producing every week, like clockwork but I still don't have enough info to post any conclusions as to size of spawn, etc. They love it!

Rodrigo
    Rod Clement - SOS CREW NJ

Registered Member

Any time you use live food there is always the chance to pass something on. Thats just how it works.

Debate over lol

Registered Member

No doubt. I like the FDBW's as well. For sure a GREAT food. Since trying, I'm sold on them and will always include them into my feeding program. But as mentioned, there is something to be said for live, moving food. That will be the only comparison I will make between the two. It's an awesome food, live or dried...Bill

I looked at Eastern Aquatic's web site. All they showed was a shopping cart for ordering the worms. Dan tells you all about how he produces them. I wonder if Eastern Aquatics is a re-seller?
    Mama Bear

Hi all,
    I've read everyones comments about the blkworms. I've been thinking of trying in on both sets of my breeding pairs to see what will happen. Can you freeze you blkworms? what do you feed them anyway? I was told at the store that they can order them in for me and that you need to rinse everyday. What more is to them?
    Thanks and God bless,
    Wendy

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast