AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

View Poll Results: Live Blackworms Worth The Effort?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes they rock! Give them a try. Staple food.

36 72.00%
  • Live BW are alright but not worth the effort.

6 12.00%
  • BW made my fish SICK!

6 12.00%
  • Live White worms are better than Black worms

2 4.00%
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: California Blackworms- Good or Bad?

Registered Member underwaterforest's Avatar

Default Re: California Blackworms- Good or Bad?

Correction what I thought was a pair is a female-female BD pair and both are laying at the same time. Hopefully I can find a male in my tank to make a complete pair though. Still I'm stoked!!!!

Alex
    Alex 92 Gallon Discus Corner Tank, 55 gallon Discus Grow Up Tank, 20 gallon Shrimp/Plant Tank, 36 Gallon Corner Planted/Fish Tank, 29 Gallon Breeding Tank

Well the BDs ate up all their eggs last night (I was half expecting this). I still can't figure out if I have two females, or a male and a female BD. It looks like both their breeding tubes look the same so I am assuming that it is still a female female pair. Here is the best pictures I could get of them.

Anybody have any idea how tell?

Or maybe how to find a suspect male in my tank so I can induce true breeding in my 39 gallon with one of the BD females?

Thanks

Alex
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by underwaterforest; 12-06-2010 at 04:39 PM.
    Alex 92 Gallon Discus Corner Tank, 55 gallon Discus Grow Up Tank, 20 gallon Shrimp/Plant Tank, 36 Gallon Corner Planted/Fish Tank, 29 Gallon Breeding Tank

Sorry for diluting this thread with my happiness on the start of my fish spawning. I moved my breeding posts to the breeding section if you wish to comment.

Quote Originally Posted by underwaterforest View Post
    So I'm really not tying to add fuel to the fire .

OK maybe I am

But what diseases/organisms have been indicated in being passed from BW to discus?
    speaking of which, how are you, or your fish rather, enjoying the black worms? Any negative effects that perhaps were covered previously in this thread?
    President NADA

SOS Crew - Texas

Kinda cruel yim11 did I do something to offend you? If so it was completely unintentional.

You are correct. My apologies.
    President NADA

SOS Crew - Texas

Registered Member

I used to feed live blackworms and my fish loved them, but I had too many successful breeders that I respect warn me not to feed them to ignore the advice. I have not fed them in a long time.

Registered Member

the real question is can you use lbw in a zero water change tank. how that for a loaded question? lol.

Actually, they do better than any other food you can feed. They'll live for quite some time in the tank and will eventually be eaten. No leftovers!

Quote Originally Posted by zimmjeff View Post
    the real question is can you use lbw in a zero water change tank. how that for a loaded question? lol.
    Chad Hughes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by zimmjeff View Post
    I use a worm feeder for my planted tank. I also scoop a spoonful of live worms and drop it into the tank and let them hide in the sands. They eventually get eaten between all the different fish, pleco and shrimps in the tank. I prefer that over excess flakes or BH being all over the tank. I do 40% WC every 7-10 days.

Van

I see this thread is a bit stale,but we've had terrible internet connections this month. In the late eighties- early nineties, while living in the SF Bay Area, I switched my entire Discus feeding regimen to Tubifex from a reliable source. After five years, things were going great guns. Then there was a switch for my supplier's supplier.Without a huge story at this point, all Discus tanks got sick After the fact, I started reading up on them..In a short time, I lost six breeding pairs, and sixteen tanks of sub-adults to fry. Really disheartening, to say the least. This also coincided with the 'Great Discus Plague', so the combo was a rough, expensive road with few survivors (including my at the time fat wallet)... The hurt lasted over a decade, and I'm only a leg up on starting over...No worms in the diet in my fishroom anymore.

Registered Member

Tubifex has always been a no-no. Blackworms and Tubifex, tho both worms, are not the same. Not even sure if you can buy live Tubifex. I stick with a good supplier, of good worms(Aquatic Foods). Most times dealing with 3rd party worms, like from a LFS, is not wise. I have had troubles in the past going that route. I'll ALWAYS get them direct from now on...The "Great Plague"...I remember it well!...Bill

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456