ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: can discus go in a a 56 gallon column tank i think its called

Registered Member

Default can discus go in a a 56 gallon column tank i think its called

hi people just had a quick question. can i put discus in a 56 gallon column tank? i think its called a column tank, its like a cube but someone told me it was called a column tank. but i wanted to put 3 discus in there and some other fish so if anyone has put them in this size tell me so i know. thanks
    keeper of the fresh

Default Re: can discus go in a a 56 gallon column tank i think its called

Yeah column tanks are tall but not square..Yes, technically you can but I've seen those tanks and a trio would be the max when full grown..However a bonded pair would be perfect I think
    Jennie,

Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten

Are you talking about the Marineland tank Petsmart sells? I'd agree, 3 max or a breeding pair. I had a couple in a 47 column that was tall and my three discus were cramped. The 56 isn't really much wider.
    Anthony

Registered Member

I have a 56 column and I'm planning on starting with 5 Juvis, and hopefully end up with one mated pair. The tank is 30 inches wide (left to right) but 18 inches front to back and 24 inches tall, so basically a 90 gallon minus 18 inches left to right.

It's only a starter tank. Discus need room and in that tank, fights will erupt as they grow.. It's a better angel tank than a discus tank
    Jennie,

Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten

Registered Member

ok thanks for all the help everyone. right now i have a 75 gallon tank with 8 african cichlids in there and i think i am going to switch it around i think i am going to put the 8 africans in the 56 and the discus in the 75 gallon. and yes it is the one from petsmart. its 36 inches long i believe.
    keeper of the fresh

I think that's a good plan, although your Africans may become a little more aggresive with the more cramped quarters. You may want to keep an eye on them. I had 6 Africans in a 55 a long time ago and one day the alpha changed colors and started going around beating on the others. It even killed a couple of them.
    Anthony

Registered Member

well if i have enough africans and hiding spots it should keep the aggression down
    keeper of the fresh

Hello Matt. On contrary to what others have posted, I have a 56 column tank with 5 adult Albino San Merah's in it and no problems at all. They have been in it for a few weeks now and I believe two pairings are forming. This is not an opinion as I have the same equipment you are speaking of. They all get along fine as seen below.

Bob

Registered Member

wow those are really nice. but its not that i am worried about the discus i also want to put a bunch of peaceful fish in with the discus also and i dont wanna overcrowd. so thats what i am worried about. but by the way those are really nice
    keeper of the fresh

Registered Member

Just an FYI on overcrowding, in my 56 gallon I have 7 small angels (silver dollar body), 8 cockatoo apistos, 6 cherry barbs, 12 red eye tetras (coming out soon), 4 bala sharks, an ABN pleco, 6 Julii Corys, 2 C117 Corys, and who knows how many otos. If everthing stayed this way it'd be a problem, but I'm going to cut down the angels when they get bigger, and the red eyes are leaving. All this though without any nitrate problems (I'm running 2 XP3s full of seachem Matrix). Not all rules apply all the time is about all I can say.