ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 NADA Convention Show Challenge

Default 2012 NADA Convention Show Challenge

We now know that the 2012 convention and show are going to be in Atlanta and it will be sometime in mid to late June. That gives us 18 months from now to the show. We all know that it takes about 1 year to grow out a juvie to adulthood. So here is the challenge. You have a couple of months to plan what you want to work with and then it is time for action. Get as big a group of juvies as you can with the intent of finding 1 or 2 show fish among them. A good read to help you along with this is Dick Au's book Trophy Discus. Dick goes through great detail explaining how to end up with a show quality fish. I entered a fish in the first show and I can tell you it was exciting. This time since I know well in advance I plan to have a really nice fish or two to enter.

So I will start this off. I have a group of Dale Jordon's fish being delivered this coming Thursday. I originally decided to get some of Dales's fish because I really love the classic old school look he is going for but now I have another goal for this group of fish. They are going to be grown out with the intent of finding that show quality winner. How about you? Is there a special strain you have always wanted to work with? What stain do you think are to die for? Find them, get them and start working toward the goal of growing out the best in show for the 2012 NADA convention. There is absolutely no reason you can't have the winning fish.

Larry

Default Re: 2012 NADA Convention Show Challenge

Larry speaks the truth!

For the inaugural NADA show, I had about the same 18 month time frame and took a group of RSG fry from one of my spawns for sole purpose of growing out the best fish I could for the show. I knew I would enter more but I wanted one that I could put high hopes on for winning.

That fish won 2nd place in the spotted class, beating fish from some very well recognized commercial Asian breeders and/or exporters. The award looks great on the wall and is the pride of my fish room. The fish is spawning as I type this and my initial thought is "potential 2012 winners on that cone".

If I can do it anyone can, I promise.
    President NADA

SOS Crew - Texas

Registered Member John_Nicholson's Avatar

Quit your damned bragging.........

-john
    Please check out http://forum.discusnada.org/

SOS Crew Texas

Has anyone thought about doing some sort of regional submission contest? Maybe a planted aquarium (55 gal) submission with an alloted amount of fish (discus, tetra, cory), and using pre-designated landscaping materials. To be fair I originally just thought about groups submitting one discus but then this whole plant thing popped into my head. The I realized Hans did something similar at a convention recently for young children. So the idea is probably a combination of things I've read. anyway, it might spice up the convention a bit. Just a thought!
    Last edited by inmisawa; 12-15-2010 at 02:18 AM. Reason: add texr
    Anthony

YIKES!! i am behind already!!!
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Ya well I guess Ill put in my two cents in for heck of it. How about a breeders program? Anyone willing to pay top dollar for a show quaility imported fish can win. whole diff ball game when you have to breed it. Ed
    "There was no spoon"

Registered Member

What would the rules for the Fry? I have some small one's from Nicholson that are growing really good, also the one's from Yim11, I just need to know the rules, I'm raising the bigger one's in my planted tank, feeding whiteworms and blackworms.

Fill me in also..A friend and I are considering bringing some Heckel crosses..Born back in the spring..I'd love to actually see how they fair along side Dale's..Would they qualify?..Is this still a 'happening'?..if not, I'm at a toss-up on what category they would fair best in.....if at all...curious,I am......Gary
    The meek shall inherit the earth. The oceans are for the brave.

I have two groups of fish that I am raising out...we shall see how they turn out
    Evelyn
    Don't let the things you can't do stop you from doing the things you can!

Quote Originally Posted by TURQ64 View Post
    Fill me in also..A friend and I are considering bringing some Heckel crosses..Born back in the spring..I'd love to actually see how they fair along side Dale's..Would they qualify?..Is this still a 'happening'?..if not, I'm at a toss-up on what category they would fair best in.....if at all...curious,I am......Gary
    What I threw out wasn't for a separate category. It was meant as a challenge for those that don't breed or import to bring some of our discus to the show. They would be entered in the normal categories. Most of these categories are pretty cut and dry..........Solid, thick line striation, thin line striation, wild, ect. If you have one that isn't so clear then there is always the Open category.
    Larry Bugg

NADA - Vice President
    Atlanta Area Aquarium Association

Jeesh!..With these guys, there's one for every category!
    The meek shall inherit the earth. The oceans are for the brave.

Banned

Angry Re: 2012 NADA Convention Show Challenge

Ed,

Back in early June I suggested (like I have in past years for the ACA shows in which we, NADA, participated) for a home spawned division and I'd like to have serious discussion on getting it going. I got a couple of "great idea, Mat", the first day or so after it was posted. I haven't heard $hit about it since. It just died from lack of BOD/Officers action. To his credit, BOD Chad Adams was in for it.

I am watching all the buying going on in the sponsors section, so I'm thinking "buy a winner" is the name of the game.

Mat

I was against it, I beat imported fish with a homegrown and plan to do it again in Atlanta.

This sounds exciting.

And in the future it is my goal to do something like this, wouldn't be in Atlanta.

I think this is the ultimate in discus keeping, and why this or a thread dedicated to everyone's plans for this is not stickied is beyond me.

I would love to follow a thread about all you guys and gals preparation and plans for this event.

A detailed list of your stock, where you got them, how you chose the fry and why, everything

It would give people like me a huge education, and I think it would be the most interesting thread on this site, jmo.

It should be only for people who plan on entering a fish in the show to post in so it doesn't get sidetracked with questions and debates from non contestants.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Sean Buehrle; 12-24-2011 at 02:19 PM.

SimplyDiscus Sponsor Chicago Discus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ShinShin View Post
    Ed,

Back in early June I suggested (like I have in past years for the ACA shows in which we, NADA, participated) for a home spawned division and I'd like to have serious discussion on getting it going. I got a couple of "great idea, Mat", the first day or so after it was posted. I haven't heard $hit about it since. It just died from lack of BOD/Officers action. To his credit, BOD Chad Adams was in for it.

I am watching all the buying going on in the sponsors section, so I'm thinking "buy a winner" is the name of the game.

Mat
    I like this idea.....josie
    Chicago Discus

Website-- www.chicagodiscus.com
    Email---- chicagodiscus@att.net

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast