ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 NADA Convention Show Challenge

Default Re: 2012 NADA Convention Show Challenge

Quote Originally Posted by snoopodus View Post
    I like this idea.....josie
    I would love it, but there are problems with the idea. For one, what's to stop someone from entering fish that they said were home bred but in fact were not? I know that it would be the lowest of the low things to do, but there are people who will do anything to win. That said, I'd still like to see it happen.
    Mama Bear

I would love to see a home bred and raised group. I know it would be on the honor system but I think with the digital age it could be verified. I really appreciate nice fish regardless of where they came from. But home raised is kind of like home brew it always is appreciated a little bit more.
    Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    I would love it, but there are problems with the idea. For one, what's to stop someone from entering fish that they said were home bred but in fact were not? I know that it would be the lowest of the low things to do, but there are people who will do anything to win. That said, I'd still like to see it happen.

I would call it " Bred By Exhibitor "

Roberto.

Quote Originally Posted by alpine View Post
    I would call it " Bred By Exhibitor "

Roberto.
    + 1, maybe there could be a North American Bred class too (for someone who bought the fish from a N. American breeder so the breeder would get some credit). Similar to dog shows. Maybe entries could be verified by pictures of the parents, juvie/pre-adult pictures.
    Steve T

chop meat, carry water

Ya'll are getting way ahead of youselves! Ofcourse there would be these classes if there were enough entries, AND if there were someone willing to slog through a ton of pictures and perhaps, while not wanting to question any questioned one, disallowed a potential exibitor. What if the evaluator were wrong and the guy really DID breed the fish? NADA would never live that down.

I want the class. The only way I can see it happening is if it's done on the honor system. If some ******* cheats and wins and gets away with it, which only the lowest of the low would do, oh well....The truth about the guy would come out eventually. This is quite a small tight knit community we have here. The truth always comes out.

I want this class, and I want it at NADA in Atlanta and at every NADA show thereafter. I promise to show home bred fish this year whether there is a class for home breds or not.

Let's see how much interest there REALLY is in this class...Those of you who have home breds that you promise to show at NADA regardless of a seperate class tell me now. The BOD will need to see a solid showing of home breds to even consider making it a class unto itself. That's the way it works. You can't just want something to happen and POOF! it happens. You have to work to make it happen.

I really want this. I will do everything I can. I think that it would make for a few more serious Discus breeders in this country.

Quote Originally Posted by magewynd View Post
    + 1, maybe there could be a North American Bred class too (for someone who bought the fish from a N. American breeder so the breeder would get some credit). Similar to dog shows. Maybe entries could be verified by pictures of the parents, juvie/pre-adult pictures.
    Mama Bear

Banned

Smile Re: 2012 NADA Convention Show Challenge

Well Liz, this ought to have been discussed 6 months ago on our own forum by the BOD's and officers. Being a BOD myself, I am disappointed that we never discussed it and that I have to read about things here on Simply instead of our own forum. I'm just funny that way. We have a forum and don't use it. I probably just made certain people mad with the comment, but I'd have to ask why they are mad.

Mat

It HAS been discussed on the NADA forum, Mat. You should know. You posted your comments to the thread. http://forum.discusnada.org/showthread.php?t=644
    Mama Bear

Banned

That wasn't a discussion. I mentioned it. Chad liked it. I suggested that it needed to be discussed. Chad agreed. That's about it, unless I missed something somewhere.

Well, you're on the damn BOD. Push for it if you believe in it. Do something other than sit there pissing and moaning about feeling left out.
    Mama Bear

Banned

LOL

Just disappointed, that's all. Suggestions have been made, nothing's been done. I was a bad guy because the new blood thought that I was picking on them. I wasn't. Just asking and suggesting. I am not going to get all worked up about it. Why?

Mat

And BTW Liz, talk about some restraint!

Homesteader Kingdom Come Discus's Avatar

I was part of the discussion. I am all for a bred by exhibitor class, section or whatever it is decided to be called. I liked the idea Mat had and I thought I made that clear. I believe this can be worked out. I know many don't feel as I do though. Maybe we can get the Board of Directors to work on this soon????
    Kraig

Well, it sounded interesting from the initial post, but first it was a challenge of fish raised in the last year..Now it's 'bred by', so that pretty much counts me out this time. I was considering bringing fish born in the USA, but not bred by me..And from what I read, the initial post contained fish from Dale,so last time I checked, Manitoba was in Canada..oh well
    The meek shall inherit the earth. The oceans are for the brave.

Quote Originally Posted by ShinShin View Post
    And BTW Liz, talk about some restraint!
    Mama Bear

I for one will bring a few fish I have raised. Most likely both F1 Tefe and F1 Heckel/Penang crosses both fine and thick striation. Gary I am sure we can figure out a way to enter some of your Crosses as well. I think this would be a great addition to the other categories and who knows maybe someone's home grown may win more than this category.

Merry Christmas Everyone,

Jim

Banned

Jim,

I understand your point on this thread and respect and admire your stance. I want to point out one thing, though. All discus entered into the main categories would be eligible for this separate category if the person entering the discus spawned and raised it. So, you could enter your spotted discus in the spotted category and the home spawned category as well. This is how I envisioned this to work. We never discussed it on our forum where it needs to be discussed instead of here, on a public forum. It is a BOD and officer's decision, not a public forum affair.

There appears to be some animosity among hobbyists about the importers entering fish. The NADA BOD/officer team know that we need them for a truly professional type show. This, I believe, would give a hobbyist a really good shot at a very deserved prize.

Mat

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast