ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: 2012 NADA Convention Show Challenge

Banned

Default Re: 2012 NADA Convention Show Challenge

Or you could edit it yourself. I am the only one that would know that it is not true.

Mat

Alas, you are not the olny one who knows...Perhaps it can stay in this small group of THOSE WHO KNOW THE TRUTH.

Mods and admins have all the power. What they say is law. Surely Brew will vouch for the fact that I am perfect. Any mod or admin should. I'm sure that they have never thought of me as anything other than a delightful addition to our happy little community.
    Mama Bear

Quote Originally Posted by ShinShin View Post
    Ed,

Back in early June I suggested (like I have in past years for the ACA shows in which we, NADA, participated) for a home spawned division and I'd like to have serious discussion on getting it going. I got a couple of "great idea, Mat", the first day or so after it was posted. I haven't heard $hit about it since. It just died from lack of BOD/Officers action. To his credit, BOD Chad Adams was in for it.

I am watching all the buying going on in the sponsors section, so I'm thinking "buy a winner" is the name of the game.

Mat
    Mat,

Couple of things here that are worth bringing up. In the early 90s we did have a breeders division. The problem then was that we didnt have that many folks here in the US(at least that went to the show) put discus into the show. Now though it seems that alot more folks have breed and raised decent discus and would be able to compete. Hey Liz ;]
    Just my thinking here but my feelings are that most would be honest about having breed and raised their discus. A picture of the parents would be something to consider as well for the show. Seem to be alot of crosses these days. some good and some not so good. I would personally be looking more at how the potential was brought out vs quality of strain. Some folks can spend 1k per fish and lets face it, when you start with a better pair you get better offspring. JMHO

Ed
    Last edited by MostlyDiscus; 12-27-2011 at 10:17 AM. Reason: NO
    "There was no spoon"

Gold Member

Sorry Mat just can't agree on this one buddy.Fish are put in classes and need to stay there.Any breeder can say they are home raised.No matter if in a house or a warehouse in there backyard it's a fine line.And just making judges work harder with the same score card and standards.They will judge the fish no different .So why start different classes?

Banned

Cool Re: 2012 NADA Convention Show Challenge

That's it, Randy. Your off my speed dial. LOL

Where's my fish?

Mat

Randy has a strong point.

Does any other show do this? Is there some example or reference to learn from?

Registered Member John_Nicholson's Avatar

LOL....Mat and I have discussed this before and I have always been against doing this...Why you ask? Because though the years I have seen hobbyist bring their fish to the shows. It has not happened a lot but when it has happened they have done VERY well. Most have at least placed. The problem is that people feel intimidated by the big names...folks there is no reason to feel that way. If you feel that your fish are nice then by all means bring them to the show. They will probably do much better than you think they would.

-john

P.S. Hell if Jim can win something at the show then anyone can........LOL.
    Please check out http://forum.discusnada.org/

SOS Crew Texas

My point is that if we do this it would encourage people to become serious about the quality of the fish they raise. I'm tired of seeing pics of ugly fry and juvies being offered for sale by hobbyist breeders. And people buy them!!!! It's a disservice to the hobby.

I will show mine whether there is a special class or not. It won't be more work for the judges. They go around and score the fish. If the fish is entered, as Mat suggested, in the regular classes as well as in the hobbyist breeder class it only has to be scored once.

As I said earlier, anyone who cheats in this class will be found out. We are a very small community here and we will know if someone shows up with a ringer.
    Besides, I don't think that anyone would be so needy of recognition to stoop so low.

I know that it has been tried before, but I think that it is time to try it again and promote it well. What's the harm? It means more entries in the show. Is that not a good thing?
    Mama Bear

My point is that if we do this it would encourage people to become serious about the quality of the fish they raise. I'm tired of seeing pics of ugly fry and juvies being offered for sale by hobbyist breeders. And people buy them!!!! It's a disservice to the hobby.

I will show mine whether there is a special class or not. It won't be more work for the judges. They go around and score the fish. If the fish is entered, as Mat suggested, in the regular classes as well as in the hobbyist breeder class it only has to be scored once.

As I said earlier, anyone who cheats in this class will be found out. We are a very small community here and we will know if someone shows up with a ringer.
    Besides, I don't think that anyone would be so needy of recognition to stoop so low.

I know that it has been tried before, but I think that it is time to try it again and promote it well. What's the harm? It means more entries in the show. Is that not a good thing?

It's all about quality.
    Well said Liz. Randy, think about it again, it is really a Good Idea.

Roberto.

Gold Member

Roberto it is just my opinion.And is it not part of the reasons there are shows.To educate people on what good fish should look like?As far as cheating I would not be to concerned.But then again I think Hans,Mike and Kraig are all guilty of having ringers.Joking of course

Thank you for making my point, Randy. An importer gets show quality fish from his supplier to enter. He doesn't enter the ones normally offered for resale. If we did this it would give the little guy with small facilities and good taste a shot at some recgnition as well as a chance to compete against the big guns. How can this hurt? It can only help.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdiscusman View Post
    Roberto it is just my opinion.And is it not part of the reasons there are shows.To educate people on what good fish should look like?As far as cheating I would not be to concerned.But then again I think Hans,Mike and Kraig are all guilty of having ringers.Joking of course
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Francis

What about bought a 3.5 to 4 ins discus......grew it to 6.5 plus in certain months.....does it consider home grown,bringing it to show.?......or requirement to have it at least 12 months at home .......imo grooming a discus for a show may take 15-18 months from the start.
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Banned

Smile Re: 2012 NADA Convention Show Challenge

Okay, things are getting stretched beyond the scope that I had in mind.

1. Egg laid in your tank.
    2. Fry raised in your tank.
    3. Juvie to adult in your tank.
    4. Bagged in your tank to bring to show.

In other words, egg to show, meaning, the discus lived it's entire life in the exhibitors tank. Pro breeder and importers are not eligible. Period.

That was my suggestion for the show.

This is a home spawned category for hobbyists only. It is not meant to be a rookie/amateur division because people feel they cannot compete. I have always been opposed to this type thinking. A home spawned category would allow hobbyist/breeders to show their accomplishments. It is not a category of diminished quality.

Mat

I totally get it. I think that the way you set it out it can do only good.

Where is the discussion about this on the NADA forum? The BODs remain silent. This is an importent thing to be talked over. Why do we have a BODs who have no opinion in a matter that could help the hobby? Why did these people want to be elected if they have nothing to say?

The discussion should not be here on Simply. It should be on the NADA forum where the decisions are made.

Quote Originally Posted by ShinShin View Post
    Okay, things are getting stretched beyond the scope that I had in mind.

1. Egg laid in your tank.
    2. Fry raised in your tank.
    3. Juvie to adult in your tank.
    4. Bagged in your tank to bring to show.

In other words, egg to show, meaning, the discus lived it's entire life in the exhibitors tank. Pro breeder and importers are not eligible. Period.

That was my suggestion for the show.

This a a home spawned category for hobbyists only. It is not meant to be a rookie/amateur division because people feel they cannot compete. I have always been apposed to this type thinking. A home spawned category would allow hobbyist/breeders to show their accomplishments. It is not a category of diminished quality.

Mat
    Mama Bear

Quote Originally Posted by snoopodus View Post
    I'm just happy to be attending you guys can hash out the details...LOL.......Josie
    Thanks for that 2 cents Josie :-)

Me too, I'm new to Discus anyway. By the time of the convention, I'll have a nice tank set up and hopefully come home with at least a few prime quality Discus (full grown of course).
    Chris Baez, Jr.

"The problem with Christianity is not that it has been tried and found wanting, but that it has been found difficult and left untried" GK Chesterton

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast