AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: 2012 NADA Convention Show Challenge

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: 2012 NADA Convention Show Challenge

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Well, that will make two of us, Pat. I'd like so see some others commit.
    Liz, It's like when my daughter use to show horses. You go for the fun and if you win you have a nice little momento of the show.
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Thank you Chad. That was funny. BTW, I am my own favorite non-board member, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Sabres1 View Post
    I have left my comments on the NADA site.

Liz,
    Have I ever told you that you are my favorite non-NADA BOD member? LOL

Chad
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Rick

That's somewhat of an unfair question. It's like asking to be evaluated by experts before you take the risk of showing. Use your eye and risk it. What's the harm? If you don't win you won't be disgraced. Most all of the fish entered don't win. Think of it as I do; a tiny contribution to the betterment of the hobby and a huge learning experience.
    I would have to respectfully disagree. There are many that have never been to a discus show (me included) and using the university section was indeed supposed to be a learning tool was it not? Getting a rough idea of what is a show quality discus is would seem to serve to eliminate many discus that should have never been entered, or encouraging some others to enter. It's not just about serving those that have been raising discus for many years, but about growing the hobby and the popularity of the show.

Homesteader Kingdom Come Discus's Avatar

Just posted this on the NADA thread.

Anyone can import fish here in the US. Just takes a $100.00. I know first hand Asian breeders will sell fish to anyone who has the funds.

Also I only can think of one professional hatchery in the US where there is breeding on a large scale and I am not sure how large of a scale Peter is breeding now. Most of the others import, some just don't tell. There is no way one could survive breeding discus here in the states these days.

Sounds like it is too complex and I understand the reasoning behind it. I was hoping to breed some wilds and enter but why complicate matters. I would just like to see this thing happen and if small time importers (I brought in one shipment last year), like me can't compete well so be it.
    Kraig

I am sorry but I will say it anyways, I never cared for the university section. I had a beautiful discus that even discus hans said was show worthy and the people of the university shot it down. They did not like the angle of the picture I submitted. Oh, wait that is right the university goes by photos. I said it then and I still stand behind my words - looking at a live fish and then taking a still photo of it are two different things. Do not let someone judging a photo stop you from entering the contest, if you do you will never win
    I have 40 peafowl, 2 horses, 10 N. goats, 2 Emu, lots of chickens, ducks and geese, 6 dogs and a cat LOL! Discus coming again soon!

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom Come Discus View Post
    Also I only can think of one professional hatchery in the US where there is breeding on a large scale and I am not sure how large of a scale Peter is breeding now. Most of the others import, some just don't tell. There is no way one could survive breeding discus here in the states these days.
    Our next raffle is going to be from a professional breeder here in the US (9000 gallons). No it isn't Peter. Intrigued?? The raffle is just around the corner................
    Larry Bugg

NADA - Vice President
    Atlanta Area Aquarium Association

Banned

Sound a little bitter, hexed. It doesn't take a rocket scientist or a brain surgeon to know that looking at a real fish vs. a photo would be the way to go. That is why good pics are vital. Which fish was yours. I'd be happy to look at it. Remember, sometimes things are a bit rushed. We have jobs and a life to take care of as well as try and do you a favor and tell you about your fish. It is all in fun, remember.

Mat

Banned

hexed,

I just went through all 28 pages of discus in the U and I only saw one by you and it got good scores from the 3 judges that scored it. Did I miss one? That would be possible. It is late and I am tired. Or, did you delete it? You have me confused now.

Mat

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456