ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: another failer jager heater!!!!

Default another failer jager heater!!!!

I don't know what happened to jagers but this is the 3rd heater in last few months that stays lit and does not get hot.
    I wondered why one of my breeding pairs didn't eat. I check water and it was 71 deg. 200w less than 8 months old.
    NOT HAPPY WITH JAGER ANYMORE!!!!

Default Re: another failer jager heater!!!!

Move to SERA heaters, phenomenal! I have Jager in four breeders and they do OK, I have a 150watt SERA in a 30 long, in a cold part of my house and it's always perfect.

Rodrigo
    Rod Clement - SOS CREW NJ

Thanks Rod I will try them. I have some Eheim things still working for 15+ years. I guess the quality is gone there too. The one that went bad is the one they just sent me a couple weeks ago. I just noticed to that on the receipt that I got with this replacement they dated it 17/11/2005 maybe trick they play.
    Last edited by jimg; 12-16-2010 at 09:09 PM.

Registered Member

My second defective Jager did that...light on/no heat. The replacement (under warranty) has been working well...knock on wood...for the past two months. Keep calling Eheim until you get a hold of Ernesto. He's in charge of repairs/warranty stuff. It'll take forever, but sooner or later you'll get your replacement.

Registered Member roundfishross's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by roclement View Post
    Move to SERA heaters, phenomenal! I have Jager in four breeders and they do OK, I have a 150watt SERA in a 30 long, in a cold part of my house and it's always perfect.

Rodrigo
    plus +1

via aqua are really cheap and seem to work well also

Quote Originally Posted by roundfishross View Post
    plus +1

via aqua are really cheap and seem to work well also
    i used them before, I found they keep consistent temp but the glass breaks too easy. I'm going to try some sera heaters, thanks

How about Finnex Deluxe Titanium Heaters and Temperature Controller?

My hypothesis regarding the growing reliability problems in auqarium heaters is the outsourcing of the circuit boards to developing countries. That is based on my 30+ years as a motorcycle dealer.

During the 1970's through late 1990's motorcycle electronics were designed and made in Japan or Germany (even for Harleys). Electronic circuit board problems and failures were nearly unheard of. Then begining in 2002-2003 many OEM's began outsourcing the electronic component manufacturing to Mexico and China. The most glaring example - in my experience - was with Honda ATV's. 2001 and prior models had a good reputation as bulletproof. Begining in 2003 we began to see electrical problems right and left. Come to find many components were made in Mexico! Service bulletins finally acknowledged such in subsequent years, but by then the decades long reputation was severley damaged and their market-share had plummeted from 45%+ to barely 20%.

I suspect a similar sad dynamic is occuring at Marineland and Eheim

Quote Originally Posted by jpdevol View Post
    My hypothesis regarding the growing reliability problems in auqarium heaters is the outsourcing of the circuit boards to developing countries. That is based on my 30+ years as a motorcycle dealer.

During the 1970's through late 1990's motorcycle electronics were designed and made in Japan or Germany (even for Harleys). Electronic circuit board problems and failures were nearly unheard of. Then begining in 2002-2003 many OEM's began outsourcing the electronic component manufacturing to Mexico and China. The most glaring example - in my experience - was with Honda ATV's. 2001 and prior models had a good reputation as bulletproof. Begining in 2003 we began to see electrical problems right and left. Come to find many components were made in Mexico! Service bulletins finally acknowledged such in subsequent years, but by then the decades long reputation was severley damaged and their market-share had plummeted from 45%+ to barely 20%.

I suspect a similar sad dynamic is occuring at Marineland and Eheim
    I hear the same thing from techs with controllers and meters that go bad.

Quote Originally Posted by KEWX View Post
    How about Finnex Deluxe Titanium Heaters and Temperature Controller?
    I tried titanium before and didnt get more than a couple months out of them. I never tried finnex though. I have ranco controllers on the larger tanks. Doesn't matter if you have a controller when the light lights but the heater does not not heat.

I had two tanks boil because of them and now I have a heater that is unconsistant with the temp. It was set at 29 and stayed there for months then I noticed it went up to 32 (my paranoia has me checking all my tanks twice a day now) I turned it down two notches then the heater doesn't go on at all. The temp over night went down to 27. To the garbage it went. I believe that Jager doesn't have the same quality that it once had.....I don't trust them at all anymore.
    Evelyn
    Don't let the things you can't do stop you from doing the things you can!

Quote Originally Posted by 2075turner View Post
    I had two tanks boil because of them and now I have a heater that is unconsistant with the temp. It was set at 29 and stayed there for months then I noticed it went up to 32 (my paranoia has me checking all my tanks twice a day now) I turned it down two notches then the heater doesn't go on at all. The temp over night went down to 27. To the garbage it went. I believe that Jager doesn't have the same quality that it once had.....I don't trust them at all anymore.
    Most of the tanks with Jagers never seem to stay at the same temp. i just disregarded it figuring their gonna last and not quit so I lived with not liking the changes. When I have the fry I like to keep temp the same as aged water, but it always changes a deg or 2 with the jagers I have so I add hot/cold tap as needed.
    Last edited by jimg; 12-19-2010 at 05:28 PM.

as far as I know, SERA are still made in Germany, no?

Rodrigo
    Rod Clement - SOS CREW NJ

Quote Originally Posted by roclement View Post
    as far as I know, SERA are still made in Germany, no?

Rodrigo
    everything made by Germans are the best!!! Don't know what happened to Eheim....

Registered Member roundfishross's Avatar

hey Rod ,
    the only con I have noticed for the sera is that I couldnt find a ul rating on them. buyt I do believe they are still made in germany.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast