AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: another failer jager heater!!!!

Default Re: another failer jager heater!!!!

Companies want to have their products made in China or Mexico, it's due to have the production cost low/lowered.
    China is renown to produce fake goods, low level workmanship etc. because there's a market for them and western companies want these countries workers work for cheap.
    MFK member - Either way.....Wow, youre so overstocked and underfiltered. They need at least a 4000 gallon tank with a million times turnover rate for filtration along with 300% daily w/c's. Make sure to treat with prime and you'll be gold!.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by leeishom View Post
    Companies want to have their products made in China or Mexico, it's due to have the production cost low/lowered.
    China is renown to produce fake goods, low level workmanship etc. because there's a market for them and western companies want these countries workers work for cheap.
    I think it's a mistake to discount the quality of Chinese goods. It all depends on the headset of the people running the operation & their emphasis on quality control. I am occasionally amazed at the quality & price of Chinese goods.

When I was a boy, in the 1950's, Japanese goods were mostly cheap crap, something that changed tremendously over the following 20 years. Chinese goods are following a similar pattern, except they've become better faster. Much of the reason they're as inexpensive as they are is because of currency imbalance, an intentional undervaluing of the Yuan to promote growth and employment in China.

Japanese workers suffer from the same offshoring efforts to China as American workers, btw....

I had two 250W in one of my tanks that went into service in June 2009 just go bad around the holidays. Now I have two new 300W jagers to replace them. Fingers crossed! I haven't tried the SERA, but I haven't seen them sold locally or by my supplier. I played phone tag for awhile the the SERA rep, but never actually connected. A little disappointing. I'll give it another try though this week.

I also use Finnex with and without integrated controllers. I liked them pretty well, but do tend to be forgetful in turning it off in my aging barrel and have fried a couple. I recently became a re-seller of Finnex products; however, shortly after getting my account set up received a memo stating pricing was going to escalate in 2011, so I'm waiting to see what happens before offering them on my website. I like them, but I think the titanium are pricing enough already. I've used a couple of models of for 300W, 500W and 800W with separate controller.

I do like the Via Aqua brand, but have only used one titanium with integrated controller. It performs well and the price isn't bad. I also use a Rena Smart Heater 300W, which has performed very well connected to my Rena XP3 intake tube.

When it comes down to it, I have to wonder if there are really any good heaters... at least from the models and brands that I've tried. For now, I'm sticking with Eheim, ViaAqua, Rena Smart, and Finnex depending on the size of the tank and it's location. I mention location because, I have a 125 G tank in my four season room that isn't heated at night time. The Finnex titaniums have done a great job keeping the temp consistent with temps in the room dropping into the 30s during the night.

That's my 2cents

PS: I hear Hydor inline heaters are great....I have two, but haven't tried them.
    Last edited by David Rose; 01-09-2011 at 10:54 AM.

As far as I know, SERA no longer has USA representation since late 2009. WHat is available here is moslty "old" new stock so grab them while you can! I am sure someone may be importing SERA products but not by SERA itself.

As a sidenote, Aquacave is great to deal with!

Rodrigo
    Rod Clement - SOS CREW NJ

Registered Member roundfishross's Avatar

process technologies its made in the usa and will absolutly be the last heator you ever have to buy!!

Last edited by roundfishross; 01-09-2011 at 01:04 PM.

Registered Member

I recently returned 2 visitherm stealth heaters which were inaccurate. The company replaced them with no problem. Now the 2 replacements are 2 months old and the 300 watt started sizzling and hissing in the tank. The 250 watt was adjusted to 84 degrees and allowed one of my 55 gallon tanks to drop to 78 degrees. I now sent both warranty replacements back and I guess they will be replaced again but I definitely feel they can no longer be trusted.

Ross, That's a dandy sump heater. How many yankee frogskins do they run???..Thanks ahead of time. Gary

Registered Member roundfishross's Avatar

honestly turq64 this was a freebie from a repair job so I have no idea? I do know that they are sold at aquatic eco systems ryan can hook that up for you! its the moat amazing heater I've ever seen the heat just keeps pouring out of this thing looooooong after the thermo cuts it off,, very efficient!

Registered Member

I have tossed more the 12 Ebo 250's into the crapper over the last few years. Their smaller ones, 50's, 100's and 150's seem to work better.

I still use a few of the older green ebos, built like tanks.

I would not get overly enthusiastic with Sera either, after say 2 years they died. When I first secured them I was impressed with the construction, but I always had a feeling they were made by someone else, ....... who also had thick glass.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by roclement View Post
    as far as I know, SERA are still made in Germany, no?

Rodrigo
    Yes, and they have a USA distributor actually located in Pennsylvania. I've contacted the National sales rep rather than the regional. We'll see if IGO PRO can offer Sera sometime in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by jimg View Post
    I tried titanium before and didnt get more than a couple months out of them. I never tried finnex though. I have ranco controllers on the larger tanks. Doesn't matter if you have a controller when the light lights but the heater does not not heat.
    I have 2 of the finnex 200 watt with digital controller in my 55gal and 2 300 watts with digital controller in my 90gal both seem to be ok, not super though, worried about the Discus hurting them selfs on them because they have no cover and when they turn on to heat they get really hot. work well and i like to be able to set the temp and know exactly what its set for (I have two thermometers in both the tanks just to be safe) they are always pretty close to spot on.

its interesting to see that a lot of Jager's have failed I've had a 100 watt in my 28gal for about 3 years now no problem, guess I got lucky :P
    High school, Zoo School, and Discus! Who said life was boring?

Quote Originally Posted by SeaDragon View Post
    I have 2 of the finnex 200 watt with digital controller in my 55gal and 2 300 watts with digital controller in my 90gal both seem to be ok, not super though, worried about the Discus hurting them selfs on them because they have no cover and when they turn on to heat they get really hot. work well and i like to be able to set the temp and know exactly what its set for (I have two thermometers in both the tanks just to be safe) they are always pretty close to spot on.

its interesting to see that a lot of Jager's have failed I've had a 100 watt in my 28gal for about 3 years now no problem, guess I got lucky :P
    I wouldn't condemn jagers too much. I had 3 fail but I also use about 15 or so some that are very old. now that I said that another will fail!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123