ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upgrading to Low Light Planted Discus Tank help

Real Name
    Tony

Default Upgrading to Low Light Planted Discus Tank help

Hi,

I need some helps to switching/upgrading from 100G bare bottom to 150G low light planted discus tank? I don't want to do it and later found out later. From what i've read here, it recommended to use swiming pool filter sand (SILICA SAND) at Leslie which i will get some later day when they open. Fill it up between 1-3 inches with slope from back to front. I already have some 48" Jebo regular lights, driftwood and aubius, but still looking for some more low light plants.

I am going to take out all my discus to a temporary tank, then setting up new tank with (old tank) plants, driftwood, filter and put the discus back. Please let me know if i'm missing anything or any suggestion would be appreciated.

thank you,

Tony

Registered Member

Default Re: Upgrading to Low Light Planted Discus Tank help

The most important thing is getting the amount of light right. A safe bet would be about 225 watts of CF light. Second, sand may not be your best choice because it shows the slightest bit of algae.

Real Name
    Tony

So what is the best choice for Substrate/ sand?
    Last edited by MKD; 12-20-2010 at 02:42 PM.

Registered Member

anything that's not light in color. quartz gravel, laterite, flourite, eco-complete.

Registered Member

Make sure to have a air pump in the temporary tank. I did that mistake because I was upgarding from 72gal planted to a 125gal planted and did not have any pump in my 72gal.

For substrate there lot to pick from. Ecocomplete, ADA Aqua soil, Flurite and few more.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Careful with black substrate like eco-complete. It's great for plants but some discus will darken and PB based with pepper.

Real Name
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Careful with black substrate like eco-complete. It's great for plants but some discus will darken and PB based with pepper.
    so what do you suggest for discus?

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Most folks here would suggest pool filter sand because all the junk stays on top of the sand and it's easy to vacuum out. I had a tank with the eco-complete and the plants love it. But it amazed me on how much junk was still in the gravel after vacuuming. I have a little light layer of sand (no plants) and it is so much easier to clean. Plant will grow nicely in the sand BTW. I would suggest looking at some tank pictures to get a feel for what you might like.

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Most folks here would suggest pool filter sand because all the junk stays on top of the sand and it's easy to vacuum out. I had a tank with the eco-complete and the plants love it. But it amazed me on how much junk was still in the gravel after vacuuming. I have a little light layer of sand (no plants) and it is so much easier to clean. Plant will grow nicely in the sand BTW. I would suggest looking at some tank pictures to get a feel for what you might like.
    + 1
    Here's my 75 gal.planted tank with white silica pool filter sand for you to have a look at.
    I have not had any problem with algae showing up on the sand surface, as I run 2 - 39W T5 HO for only 8-9 hrs/day - Plants are growing well as you will see.
    http://s1105.photobucket.com/albums/...spaul/redrubys

Real Name
    Tony

Great looking tank discuspaul.

Thank you for sharing,

I just started with discus a few week ago, and i have had sand in 2 of my tanks for a few years now and i have never seen any algae growing on the sand.
    I also have about 4 marbled crayfish (self cloning) in my 240g tank, so when i feed all my discus they clean all the left over along with the 8 clown loaches

Real Name
    Tony

do you run any uv light and what kind of light system??

Real Name
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by lee1 View Post
    The most important thing is getting the amount of light right. A safe bet would be about 225 watts of CF light. Second, sand may not be your best choice because it shows the slightest bit of algae.
    Do you think 48" 4 bulbs x 54 watts each bulb = 216. is it good enough for low light plants or i have to get 72" or 2 of 36" ones???

Registered Member

Low light plants don't even need that much light. If you keep the light fixture well above the water surface, the light will spread out and should give you enough light coverage. Good reflectors are very, very important. The ends of the tank will be less well lit but not by much. You should be able to grow some medium light plants in the center of the tank. I think a sand substrate would be fine. I would use CO2 injection if I were you. With CO2 you will be able to grow a very wide variety of plants if that is what you are interested in. CO2 is the best thing you can do for plants regardless of lighting or substrate or other types of fertilization.
    Wayne

http://planted.mnsi.net/Index.htm

Real Name
    Tony

I have co2 but affraid to use it. because I read 1 of the sticky thread, I may have a big problem due to I'm not good at discus or plant. So what you said, my plants will be ok with my jebo lights? I'm so confuse with lighting regard to 1 wpg.
    Last edited by MKD; 12-22-2010 at 05:27 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast