ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Two failed Stealth Pro Heaters

Registered Member

Default Two failed Stealth Pro Heaters

I bought two 300 W Stealth Pro heaters for two 75 gal aquariums less than three months ago to replace some old glass heaters. The first one quit heating after two months and the temp in the tank got down to about 76 before I noticed. I have returned it but haven't yet received a replacement. Fortunately I had an old 300 W backup heater (still works great and is a couple of years old). The second one just quit heating (I was watching it like a hawk) and I will have to return it as well. I had a spare 150 W heater but had to borrow a second heater from my son. Fortunately I caught that failed heater before the temperature dropped below 79 degrees. Based on some recommendations from others on this forum, I have just purchased two 300 W Sera heaters. Hopefully these will be more reliable. Once I get the Stealth Pro heaters back, I will save them as backup heaters, since I really can't trust them to last for any significant length of time.

Default Re: Two failed Stealth Pro Heaters

Its the kind with the little light up switch? I had 2 blow up (big boom water splash like a mini bomb) on me after only being in the water for 8hr. So its not you these heaters should have a recall on them if they don't already.

I have had good luck with mine..... have them in reef tank, community fresh and Discus for many years.... Some like them some swear by them.....

Registered Member roundfishross's Avatar

the new exploding models have only been around for a year or so. they are not the originals that were pretty reliable , the new ones with the indicator light are JUNK!!!

I never have any problem with stealth pro heater as long as they inside the water when you do WC but if you forgot and the water less than the heater stealth pro will broken easy for me stealth pro is much better than jager
    Henry
    Back to Discus grin:

Hendri ,
    last year I bought 40 of these heaters when they hit the market close to a dozen went bad within the first month three of wich literally cracked open and exploded! the ones that cracked and exploded were in tanks completly submerged they just blew up! a few of the others simply wouldnt get hot any longer although the indicator light was working. after those went I sent them all back to foster and smith for a full refund. my 32 gal brute trash can for aging water also has a melted spoy in the bottom were one of the heaters stuck on and started to severly overheat this one did get exposed to air but its the only one. when the ones exploded bubbles and very foul smoke came out of the aquarium but it did not hurt the fish.

Wow that's hurt Leo, so what brand do you use now?
    Henry
    Back to Discus grin:

been using el cheapo via aqua from ken's. knock on wood havnt had one die yet, I have busted one or two doing water changes though.

if you are using a sump these are rock solid and cannot be killed

Been using the Stealth Marineland for a while . The new and the old ones been happy with them . Have had hard times with very expensive heaters with very expensive conrollers !!! Marineland =First Class with warranties !!! All brand heaters will have problems.

Roberto

Quote Originally Posted by alpine View Post
    Been using the Stealth Marineland for a while . The new and the old ones been happy with them . Have had hard times with very expensive heaters with very expensive conrollers !!! Marineland =First Class with warranties !!! All brand heaters will have problems.

Roberto
    hey Roberto, keep an eye on those old stealths as they are notorious for leaking voltage into your tank!! they were however pretty reliable. the new ones are a whole other story. it will fail prematurely and as far as warrantys go thats all great as long as you have a back up and dont mind waiting on the new one to come.... the checks in tha mail comes to mind here

just my .02 cents

this thread also comes to mind
    http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...lth-Pro-Heater
    Last edited by roundfishross; 01-10-2011 at 10:05 AM.

The Old Stealths ...the new Stealths ..All heaters ...fail prematurely at times .they all do , period. You will find that most of Simply members have the experience and do have one or two heaters stashed aside for emergencies. The warranty for the Stealths is Excellent , courteous and very prompt !
    That is my story and I am sticking to it .
    Roundfishross, thanks for your two cents .

Roberto.

Registered Member

Until my latest experience, I too had the opinion that all heater brands can have failures. So when the first one failed, I wasn't too worried and I did have a back-up. I only have two tanks with two new heaters, so I figured that one backup heater would have been sufficient. Unfortunately the second Stealth Pro quit working before I was able to get the first shipped in on warranty to Marineland and have them return a replacement. My original backup heater was an old Visi-therm (300W). It was so old that all the white scribbling on the glass had worn away. I don't know what that was for anyway. The one that I borrowed from my son to replace the second Stealth Pro that failed was also a Visi-therm. They aren't fancy, but at least they keep the fish warm.

my father is a mechanic and once I asked him why didnt he use craftsman tools... since the warranty is so good? his reply was, what good is the warranty if every time you reach for the tool it is broken and you have to return it to sears for the replacement!! the old visitherms (glass) were very reliable.

They were good heaters but the glass was too thin. They'd crack or blow up on you if you looked at them wrong (an exaggeration I know, but the glass was way too thin)
    Mama Bear

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast