ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Lighting Question, LEDs

Registered Member

Question Lighting Question, LEDs, 225 gal planted

Setting up a large tank, 60 x 30 x 30, approx. 225 gallons.
    I would really like to do LED lighting and have been looking at the GroBeam 1000 and GroBeam 500.

-The GroBeam1000 has a lighting area of 24 x 24 (shown in red) and the GroBeam 500 has a light spread of 24 x 11 (shown in blue)
    -The GroBeam 1000 is a tile setup of 10 LEDs: 10 x 6500K white LEDs
    -While the 500 is a strip setup of 5 LEDs: 5 x 6500K

*Important note, these light spread #'s where taken from here, and does note specify a tank depth, the spreads represent the mounting of "optimum 8-12 inches above tank".

Things that should be considered:

-It is sitting in a wall, thus having two fronts (shown in my picture).

-The planting consists of 3 "pockets" of plants along the center more or less because it has two fronts.
    -Plants consist of vals, swords, and anubias. Larger, easy care plants..

-I'm unsure of the amount of lights needed, as the wattage/gal rule is thrown off by LEDs. The GroBeam 1000 uses 30 watts, and the 500 is @ 15w.

-Once again, the spread shown is from numbers that do NOT specify a tank depth, something that would cause the numbers to deviate.

-And of course, that there will be discus in the tank, lots of beautiful discus...

From the top:

*everything is drawn to scale

I'd appreciate any input on the amount of lighting needed or any other types of LEDs currently out there.

I'm new here, but because of this community, a long held dream has been slowly been materializing. Thank you all!
    Last edited by stoneface; 01-11-2011 at 04:12 PM.