AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Discus always eat their fry. Why?

Default Discus always eat their fry. Why?

So about 3 months ago, my blue diamond and yellow lemon discus laid their first batch of eggs. Since then, they lay eggs just about every week but they eat them every single time after about 40 hours! There was only once when they didn't and the fry survived, only to be sucked up by my filter 2 days later I assume at least... Maybe the other fish in the tank were eating the eggs/fry? I have no clue. So I moved the couple into a bare bottom tank so they're by themselves and a week later (today), they decided to finally lay eggs after a quick water change. It's the biggest batch of eggs I've seen them lay and I'm super excited. I just don't know what's going to happen. I want the eggs to hatch soooo badly! I'd feel so successful :P Haha. Anyway, just wanted to get your guy's opinions on what may be the problem with them always eating their eggs. Do you think it's the parents being scared of the other fish. Or maybe my bottom feeders eat the eggs late at night when the discus are sleeping? I know not many of you have discus but just wanted your opinions/advice. :]
    - Josh

Default Re: Discus always eat their fry. Why?

Cover the Eggs leave the lights on.

Ed
    "There was no spoon"

Cover them with what? And I tried the lights on trick.
    - Josh

Real Name
    Ralph

I used zip ties to hold it together and a glass bowl to hold it down from floating and keeping the parents out.
    Wendy

Wendy could you post a picture of this setup. A glass bowl upside down like a hat?

Tito

Real Name
    Ralph

Hey Tito,

What works for me is I weave 4 lead plant ties around the base of mess which gives it enough weight to stay upright.

...Ralph

I had trouble with my parents eating the fry also. I discovered that the light on my aquarium was too bright. The second I turned the light on- bam- all gone. Try using just ambient room light- see if that works.

How old are the discus? Sometimes it takes them multiple try, before they get it right. You can definitely use a guard and leave the lights on...but I personally will let them be so they learn. Be patient. Goodluck!

Quote Originally Posted by Altum Nut View Post
    Hey Tito,

What works for me is I weave 4 lead plant ties around the base of mess which gives it enough weight to stay upright.

...Ralph
    Thanks Ralph....

Tito

Quote Originally Posted by Joker43 View Post
    Wendy could you post a picture of this setup. A glass bowl upside down like a hat?

Tito
    Hi Tito,
    No I dont put it on there like a hat. It sits normal on it. The funny part is that the mommy fish likes to play in it too. It gets to be very funny to watch. Sorry I havent been able to figuar out how to post pics yet. They keep saying my pics are to big and I dont know how to change it yet.
    Wendy

Quote Originally Posted by wendy9722 View Post
    Hi Tito,
    No I dont put it on there like a hat. It sits normal on it. The funny part is that the mommy fish likes to play in it too. It gets to be very funny to watch. Sorry I havent been able to figuar out how to post pics yet. They keep saying my pics are to big and I dont know how to change it yet.
    Wendy
    Wendy I just learned to post pictures myself. I used photobucket(created a free account), upload a pic- edit it however you choose there- save it and click the "Share" tab under your pic... select the get link code tab check mark the "IMG for bulletin boards & forums" and copy it. then come back here and click on the "insert image" icon and paste the code there...
    I hope this helps....lol

Tito

Hi Joker, sorry for the short answer. The point of covering the spawn is to train the parents. The farther the parents get with a spawn the more the maternal instincts in raising the eggs will be encouraged. I think I use chicken wire of some kind. Large enough to let the eggs breath but small enough that the parents cant pick off the eggs. Wish I could get you a picture but my camera is broken. Ed
    "There was no spoon"

Thank you Ed,
    We newbies need a lot info... short and sweet is for the seasoned....lol I looked at many pictures with different setups but the bowl thing caught my interest. I think when the time comes I'll do the gutter guard mess with weights if needed. I still have plenty of time unless I buy a proven pair.. (and I might...lol)

Tito

Wink Re: Discus always eat their fry. Why?

I got it to work for me finally.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast