AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: looking to upgrade heaters

Registered Member

Default looking to upgrade heaters

any imput on the Finnex HPS Heater Series
    have problems with jagers....imagine that.

Default Re: looking to upgrade heaters

David Rose has sera heaters. which a lot of people are switching to

Registered Member

i read some about them....but whats the deal with them working on/off with a small lamp?
    i may of misunderstood it-but im taking it u need a small lamp? or it works when the lamp is on in the heater?
    im done with jagers...had one in the breeding tank with fry attached-and temp got down to 69! all is well-but i put a trusty aqua clear in for now...
    reading about the finnex-i think ill like those.
    just want imput before i buy 3-4...thx

I don't know anything about needing a lamp. I have had a few jagers go bad but I also have some for a long time too. I don't know about finnex, but I like the sera so far.

Registered Member

the website has writing about on/off by using a lamp?
    i used aqua clear heaters for years-1 went bad went to jagers...have 2 jagers that went bad....going to something else.

Registered Member

I use a Ranco and never a problem.........

Phil

Registered Member

SERA 200W Aquarium Heater.

A high quality heater with a 2 mm glass tube and precision protection circuit.
    Sera aquarium heaters are very short and are easy to install in small aquariums. The function control (on/off) is achieved by means of a small lamp.

200W Heater Specifications:

* Length: 11.8"
    * Recommended Aquarium Size: 26-66 gal.
    * Fully Submersible
    * Includes Protective Grid Guard
    * 2 Years Manufacturer's Warranty

ok...whats the on/off small lamp actually mean? like a regular heater-light on-its on?

it is just an indicator to show if the heater is on/off, just like regular heater nothing fancy.

I'm going to give a finnex or two a try, but Jager's have always been my mainstay..A bad one now and then, but I figure that's the nature of the beast. Just as a reference, I have three tanks with Jager's so old that you can service them!(take apart and re-solder connections, etc) I bought them at a San Francisco Aquarium Society auction in 1981 and they were well used already. If they didn't fail once in a while, their wouldn't be so many manufacturers!
    The meek shall inherit the earth. The oceans are for the brave.

Registered Member

Been using VIA-AQUA heaters with absolutely no problems. As of right now are the only ones I buy. and are cheap too!...Bill

Registered Member roundfishross's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by William Palumbo View Post
    Been using VIA-AQUA heaters with absolutely no problems. As of right now are the only ones I buy. and are cheap too!...Bill
    me too over a year running 25+ of these in various wattages and have had no failures!

Registered Member

i see pet mountain has a blow out on these via aqua heaters...

Registered Member

I have used visi-therms for a long time and they were really very reliable. Lately some of them have started to leak and just recently I was away for 2 days I lost a tank of 5 red turqs because of failure. I need to mention the ambient temp. in my fish room now is 58-62F .I have taken these apart as far as you can, let them dry out for a week,and then siliconed them and sealed them back up. Will be testing them shortly.
    Has anyone had the same problem? I need some new heaters and I don't know where to go. It seems to me that there is no real consensus out there as to what is the best.
    Any thoughts?
    Jay

Registered Member

thats what im kind of steering to here in this thread...just what kind to get.
    i drive a truck, and the feerful call on the road is what a temperature is at a tank 400 miles away from home.
    those via aquas are cheap-but if they work-and have good luck with them, thats what ill purchase....only 10 bucks....jagers are 3 times that for what i call in my circumstances-JUNK.<<<my opionion.
    im going to pack up the jagers and send them back-maybe they will throw them away for me.

wonder what kind eddie uses?

Quote Originally Posted by utiliy View Post
    thats what im kind of steering to here in this thread...just what kind to get.
    i drive a truck, and the feerful call on the road is what a temperature is at a tank 400 miles away from home.
    those via aquas are cheap-but if they work-and have good luck with them, thats what ill purchase....only 10 bucks....jagers are 3 times that for what i call in my circumstances-JUNK.<<<my opionion.
    im going to pack up the jagers and send them back-maybe they will throw them away for me.

wonder what kind eddie uses?

LOL, I use jagers. Had one stop working a long time ago but it was already 5-6 years old. I tested a SERA and I don't like it, it is collecting way too much condensation inside and I need to toss it. Its not worth the risk at all. I'll have to try out one of the VIA-AQUAs and see how they fair.
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast