Default Re: looking to upgrade heaters

that is funny....
    i would be happy with a 5 year heater.

Real Name
    Larry

Quote Originally Posted by utiliy View Post
    any imput on the Finnex HPS Heater Series
    have problems with jagers....imagine that.
    Have used the finnex heaters from Kens Fish and like them. That is what I had in all my tanks for almost a year with no problems, then all of a sudden I had 5 out of six burn out.(all with in the same week) The heating element part seems to burn out on them. So they seem to last about a year.

But have to say they kept the tank with in 1 or 2 degrees. If you go with them I`d keep a few spares around to have a back up.

I am thinking of trieing the deep blue stiks that Kens has next.

Larry

I think the SERA ones do not go up to a high degree temperature though..I think they max out at 86 degrees but do not go high into the 90's for some medication treatments require..I am in the market to buy more heaters now and really more confused than ever..Jagars are slowly losing thier rep. anymore ??

Ranco please elaborate some more on this brand/tpye of heater..
    Quote Originally Posted by phil47952 View Post
    I use a Ranco and never a problem.........

Phil

I have used Marineland Stealth heaters for about four years and then have used the new type with the light indicators . Have been very pleased with them .

Roberto.

I am glad you have success with them..I have had nothing but problems and they killed alot of discus for me and others..I have way too many heaters to change over at one time..I was switching over to Jagars recently and am starting to find out they are not that good either..I guess there is not a perfect heater out there anymore..
    Quote Originally Posted by alpine View Post
    I have used Marineland Stealth heaters for about four years and then have used the new type with the light indicators . Have been very pleased with them .

Roberto.

Registered Member

Before I started using Jagers in my 90g discus tank, I used the Via Aqua 300 watt heaters, and they have always been extremely reliable for me and very easy to use- no calibration needed. I have used them in my QT tank, my 20g long and 29g juvie grow-out tanks, and am currently using one in my old 55g tank, which is now a rainbowfish community tank once again. The glass in these heaters is thick like the Jagers- I hit one against a concrete floor by mistake and it did not crack. Do not forget to switch one off during a big w/c though as it might shatter, they are simple with no auto shut-off and get really hot very quickly. I melted the suction cup holders doing that once. I think that for 10-15 bucks, the Via Aquas have been great IMHO.

Colin

Registered Member

Ranco is a temperature controller. there are a variety of controllers on the market. A very good and inexpensive on e is the reef keeper lite.
    Quite frankly, I think it's almost crazy to not protect your investments with a temperature controller. Reef enthusiasts always use them as a couple of degree shift can lead to massive coral death.
    Believe me, i've been into this hobby since the early 60's and all heater brands have the potential to malfunction. Only security and protection is a good controller.

Real Name
    Discus Hans

"Funny" thing, I had some Won heaters, with controllers, those iron sticks. Because of the cold water coming in in winter time I've a few in our storage tanks. One was tripping the fuse last week and I thought, put it on high, it's just in storage tanks so what the heck, if they over heat, it will only help. They are 300W.
    Now I thought, hmmm is it still heating and than I made a little mistake, plugged it in and wanted to feel if the "stick" was getting warm. I've no idea how long I was out but I woke up later on the floor, it was "hot" but not in the meaning of warm. I remember me shaking but after that nothing. I was a few days...... let's call it off.

People, be careful with those iron sticks, if you don't trust them, trow them away, don't be an idiot like me, the few days headache and the experience of being an idiot is not worth the few $$ for a new heater,

the idiot.
    I've changed the Discus World.
    Visit our online store at: www.discusfishstore.com
    All advice I give, is because I've good results with it, you're free to copy it. It's not a rule, it's just my way. Ohhhh and don't take me serious, I'm most of the time kidding

Registered Member

Jagers have worked fine for me so far- no failures in nearly 2 years. I do plug them into finnex controllers from Kensfish. My big worry isn't failing off, but rather sticking on, having cooked a tank of discus many years ago with an inferior heater.

I'm with Hans- any suspect heater goes in the trash. None of my jagers, but rather some no name ones that came with used tanks. I fix a lot of electrical stuff, both at work & home, but not submersible heaters. You only need to get bit once to figure it out, either here or in the hereafter...

Quote Originally Posted by moik View Post
    I think the SERA ones do not go up to a high degree temperature though..I think they max out at 86 degrees but do not go high into the 90's for some medication treatments require..I am in the market to buy more heaters now and really more confused than ever..Jagars are slowly losing thier rep. anymore ??
    Actually, the 150W Sera that I have goes to 89. The funny thing is, if I lay it down horizontal like I do with my Jagers, it will go above 90F. I have no idea why but its odd.
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Quote Originally Posted by William Palumbo View Post
    Been using VIA-AQUA heaters with absolutely no problems. As of right now are the only ones I buy. and are cheap too!...Bill
    +++1- best heater ever used. Never a problem.

Registered Member Northwoods Discus's Avatar

I really like the JBJ heaters with the digital control. They are very expensive though. Near a $100.00 each. The JBJ lighting I have has lasted and lasted. The two heaters have been going for near 2 years now with no issues. If you have some very special stock you may want to consider these. I also have 2 Finnex heaters from Kens and I like those as well. They also have a nice red digital display.

For those of you who use via aqua... Do you use the glass ones or the titanium ones with the controller...

Adrian
    Phillipians 4:4-7

titanium with the controller

Kenny

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast