AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: looking to upgrade heaters

Registered Member

Default Re: looking to upgrade heaters

im leaning towards the via-aqua heaters...

Quote Originally Posted by Discus-Hans View Post
    Go to bed and hope the next day everything will be okay

No just kidding, I've 2 big oil heaters one in each part of the building, fans blowing to both sides to transport the air/heat. If one gives up, the other keeps it up for a while.

But....... just before Christmas one worked and shut off, if you restarted it, it worked fine, till it shut off and had to restart again.......

Had 3 or 4 companies in, nobody could solve the problem, from before Christmas till in the New Year, every 2 ~ 3 hours (24/7) to the fish house to check, now if you get there at 3am and it's off, you didn't come for nothing. Most frustrating was if you come out of your bed, drive to the fish house and it's working #$#@#$%&^% could have stayed in my bed lol lol

Problem is solved now, it was was I said from the beginning, the tank was to far from the heater, they moved the tank and from that moment it haven't shut off on me anymore.

We also have now 11 big dehumidifiers running, they give a nice heat and if the oil gets empty (never will because they refill every week) I've 12 electric space heaters.

If power goes out, see top first line,

Hans

Hans
    Hans,

Why not add a relatively cheap and easy to install unit such as a Sensaphone to the fish house? It can be set up to call you under certain conditions. I have one in my computer server room at work to detect for water on floor or when the AC fails causing high temps.

Van

Quote Originally Posted by Discus-Hans View Post
    Go to bed and hope the next day everything will be okay

No just kidding, I've 2 big oil heaters one in each part of the building, fans blowing to both sides to transport the air/heat. If one gives up, the other keeps it up for a while.

But....... just before Christmas one worked and shut off, if you restarted it, it worked fine, till it shut off and had to restart again.......

Had 3 or 4 companies in, nobody could solve the problem, from before Christmas till in the New Year, every 2 ~ 3 hours (24/7) to the fish house to check, now if you get there at 3am and it's off, you didn't come for nothing. Most frustrating was if you come out of your bed, drive to the fish house and it's working #$#@#$%&^% could have stayed in my bed lol lol

Problem is solved now, it was was I said from the beginning, the tank was to far from the heater, they moved the tank and from that moment it haven't shut off on me anymore.

We also have now 11 big dehumidifiers running, they give a nice heat and if the oil gets empty (never will because they refill every week) I've 12 electric space heaters.

If power goes out, see top first line,

Hans

Hans
    Hey Hans,

How much heating oil do you use a week / month during the winter season?

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by utiliy View Post
    im leaning towards the via-aqua heaters...
    I'd trust Bill's judgement, although I have to say that my Eheim Jagers work great, and that I don't buy anything anywhere until I've checked with Kensfish...

Registered Member

Had a visitherm stealth blow up in my tank. Tried two new sera heaters, 250 watt and 300 watt. They both allowed a 50 gallon tank set at 85 degrees drop to 79 before heating. Tried each one for a day each and had same results with them. Not good. Also tried a Finnex after that which I am impressed with. It is keeping tank right at temperature. I check it many times each day since now I am paranoid. Very accurate but only 5 day track record so far. Seras had very inaccurate thermostats right out of box

As mentioned, pet mountain has the via aqua heaters on blow out. I also found a few coupons. For free shipping for orders over $60, type in "free" at check-out. Typing in "ten" will get you a 10% discount on your purchase. I just purchased 6 of the 300 w glass heaters for 69.42 shipped!

PS.. I have no affiliation with pet mountain. It just seemed to be too good of a deal not to pass along to fellow bargin shopper/discus keepers.

Kens fish has those via aquas too..his normal prices are pet mountains sale prices..i always buy from Ken first.HTH

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by moik View Post
    Kens fish has those via aquas too..his normal prices are pet mountains sale prices..i always buy from Ken first.HTH
    +1...Bill

Registered Member Keith Perkins's Avatar
    Real Name
    CozyKeith

Eight months ago I had a nearly new 29 gallon fish stand I no longer had any use for that I returned to the LFS for full credit. I needed a couple of heaters and wanted Jagers but of course they didn't have any. I ended up with a couple Aqueon Pro 150s one of which I immediately dropped into a storage barrel and it's been working fine ever since. The second one I put in a 55 gallon tank about 6 weeks ago and Thursday night I stuck my hand into the tank to feed the fish and brrrr. Now these units come with a lifetime guarantee if you call and return them to Aqueon with a receipt but of course since they were part of a swap I had no receipt. I called Aqueon Friday morning and started my story with I put this new Aqueon Pro 150 in a tank about 6 weeks ago and it's no longer working. They asked about the heating/at heat indicator light and I said it wasn't working either. That was the end of the conversation, they're sending me another one.

Now even though Aqueon is a Wisconsin company I've always been a little leery of them. I primarily wondered about the quality of their products, especially given how much stuff they crank out. I have to say though that my couple of experiences with their customer service department lately is making me reexamine that position. I was looking for o-rings lately for a coralife RO unit and couldn't find them anywhere on-line. Aqueon recently purchased coralife, and for whatever reason the replacement parts supply chain hasn't caught up. Same story there, they sent me what I needed at no charge.

Heaters guaranteed for life, awesome customer service, I can't believe I'm putting this in writing but consider Aqueon Pros.
    President - North American Discus Association

The new black Aqueon heaters are basically the old stealths,,which were good in my opinion..they made in italy and have a twist knob dial..I have heard good things about them so far ,but nothing long term though..I do not know what to think any bodies heaters anymore..I always buy aqueon fish tanks over any other manufactuer..

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234