ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: My wilds and tank

Registered Member

Default My wilds and tank

I just wanted to share so pictures of my 55gal discus tank. Please rate my fish Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by neon; 04-05-2011 at 12:39 AM.

Registered Member

Default Re: My wilds and tank

start some water changes .... your fish look unhealthy !!

sorry to said but they look have big eyes
    Henry
    Back to Discus grin:

Registered Member

Greetings
    No disrespect directed to the OP
    As a person in the planning stages of setting up a tank
    What about the fish in the pictures looks unhealthy

Real Name
    Matt

Little bit of a cloudy eye, and they don't seem to be as....perky (right word?), the green seems a bit dark or discolored and ragged to me as well. All of which very well could be the picture playing tricks on eyes so only the OP could say for sure. Just calling it like I see it with my eyes. Sand looks like it is covered in algae, a sign a lot of nutrients is in the water or it hasn't been cleaned in forever. If you get back to a lighter substrate it might change their appearance. I'm not focusing on the eyes or body shape so much because I know wilds will differ from domestics, but like I said....calling it like I personally see it.
    -Matt

Registered Member

Hello Neon,

I think it's great that you want to share your photos and discus here to all. I want to say that I have
    to agree with the guys above me. I am not an expert but I have read a lot on simply and seen many
    pictures, and I don't think your fish are doing to well right now. I would look and read anything you can
    on the sickness and disease threads. And maybe you can pm eddie here on the sight, and ask for his
    help. But I think your fish need some TLC and some fixin up stuff and medication.

Registered Member Discus Origins's Avatar

Just to be fair to Neon, the green and heckel for wilds are not out of the ordinary. Greens adults usually come in with large eyes and bad body shapes, nothing you can do will change that once shipped in. The heckel is a med quality Rio Negro type with eyes just slightly under 7:1 ratio. I agree with the sand, not sure if its dark or if algae covered....but if dark sand will cause the fish to darken to match. If algae covered there is way too much light or nitrates in the water as my sand never gets algae and I have power compacts on my show tanks. I can see what looks like bubbles on the sand, if that is the case it is definitely algae and huge water changes need to be done.

The cloudy eye can sometimes be the flash of the camera, I see the little white spots in the Green's eyes and that is also common in that strain. Its a parasite that got into the lens of the eyes and leaves scar tissue. Nothing you can do about it and usually doesn't affect the fish as long as its healthy and in clean water.

Looking at that little pix of the Turq/Cobalt discus its eyes are too big for a domestic. So more water changes are definitely recommended to turn the tank around.

Mark

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by m3h3c3 View Post
    Just to be fair to Neon, the green and heckel for wilds are not out of the ordinary. Greens adults usually come in with large eyes and bad body shapes, nothing you can do will change that once shipped in. The heckel is a med quality Rio Negro type with eyes just slightly under 7:1 ratio. I agree with the sand, not sure if its dark or if algae covered....but if dark sand will cause the fish to darken to match. If algae covered there is way too much light or nitrates in the water as my sand never gets algae and I have power compacts on my show tanks. I can see what looks like bubbles on the sand, if that is the case it is definitely algae and huge water changes need to be done.

The cloudy eye can sometimes be the flash of the camera, I see the little white spots in the Green's eyes and that is also common in that strain. Its a parasite that got into the lens of the eyes and leaves scar tissue. Nothing you can do about it and usually doesn't affect the fish as long as its healthy and in clean water.

Looking at that little pix of the Turq/Cobalt discus its eyes are too big for a domestic. So more water changes are definitely recommended to turn the tank around.

Mark
    I bought the tefe green from john snookn21.

Registered Member Discus Origins's Avatar

Big difference between $200 Green and $75-100 one. I have purchased from John many times, you get what you pay for.