ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wild Discus Tech Notes 2... Wild Greens...The basics and More....

Default Wild Discus Tech Notes 2... Wild Greens...The basics and More....

Given the Intense interest in Wild discus...I propose we start a discussion here about wild Discus and the traits that make them desirable apart from Domestics and compared to each other.... Some of this is subjective........ But I think if we do this is an intelligent general way alot can be learned by those new to the wild side of things or leaning there.

I think a good way to do this is for hobbyists here to post their fish, list the prices paid, and point out what they feel is the strong points and weak points of their fish....WE can do this for each major type of wild and build a database.. No need to discuss where the fish came from...do that by Pm if you want.,

I encourage others to comment on the fish if they can as to strengths and weaknesses... understand this will happen if you post to this thread.

Thanks...

This thread ....wild greens only....

-al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Default Re: Wild Discus Tech Notes 2... Wild Greens...The basics and More....

what, nobody? guess greens are the ugly ducklings of the wilds. 400.00 + shipping for 8. all close to 5" when bought. the flash gets them pi$$ed but I actually like when thier bars darken.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Registered Member

LOL...Ugly Ducklings?...Hardly!...Yours look great...and a helluva deal for 8!...Bill

Nice looking greens. Vibrent colors.
    Kacey

Quote Originally Posted by 3dees View Post
    what, nobody? guess greens are the ugly ducklings of the wilds. 400.00 + shipping for 8. all close to 5" when bought. the flash gets them pi$$ed but I actually like when thier bars darken.
    shipping is a killer , but these are beautiful Greens !
    Natalia

We're here for a good time...not a long time..

yes it is Vera, but it sure beats what you get from the lfs.

It's clear they are loving the care you are giving them, they look great.
    Really nice tank layout and pictures.
    Bill

Registered Member round flat fish's Avatar

Very nice colors. Not a big fan of the shape on the one in the second pic. Maybe it's just the angle? Never the less they look really healthy and the tank looks awesome! Do you have a FTS?

Al

Any update of those wild green you got from Hans last year? Any breeding activities.

fts are in the biotope section. just updated it last week. vlam, that was'nt me. I have never ordered fish from Hans.

He was asking Al as in Brewmaster.
    Larry Bugg

NADA - Vice President
    Atlanta Area Aquarium Association

Registered Member

You have like the best "Green" tank I've seen. Looks incredibly awesome...

fts are in the biotope section. just updated it last week. vlam, that was'nt me. I have never ordered fish from Hans.
    Sorry.. the question was meant for brewmaster (al)

Registered Member Discus Origins's Avatar

This is a group of Japura RSGs I purchased from John (snook) about 8 months ago. They were his AA quality greens and I believe they were $150/each. I hand selected these out of his tanks for the most spots. Its a little wierd but out of all the wild strains, the greens are usually the ones with the worst body shapes. Not sure why but just my experience with them.

I think quality-wise for most people its the more spots the better. Having a nice light base color brings out the red spots.

Mark
    Attached Images Attached Images

Registered Member

i have noticed that most of the greens i see have that shape.i think it is very acceptable shape for the greens. its not just 1or2 of them with the shape its usually the whole tank and maybe 1 or 2 that have a rounder shape. greens are by far my favorite wild.i would love to have a tank full of them. i had a cobalt with the longer face look in a tank full of high bodies and it stuck out like a sore thumb. was not that bad of a shape but in a tank full roundness it looked out of place. to me there is nothing better then a tank full of greens.one of these days i will jump into the wilds.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast