ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Wild Discus Tech Notes 2... Wild Greens...The basics and More....

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: Wild Discus Tech Notes 2... Wild Greens...The basics and More....

Quote Originally Posted by William Palumbo View Post
    RSG's were always sought after. In the early 80's they were a bit easier to get than now. I owned some from my LFS, that were what I judge all others by to this day. Big money $50-$60 each!...LOL...These were "true" red spotted. Where the spots were actually RED!...Not the rust colored background showing thru in a spotted pattern like you see today. Put them under a Gro-Lux light and stand back!... Buy as said, it's what you prefer, or what your tastes evolve into. I wish I had my Xingus back, as I really like them and appreciate them a whole lot more these days...Bill
    Bill, check out the Jupara RSG on Dale's inventory page. It appears to have the red spots like you describe.

Registered Member

Has the red spots for sure, but shape and proportions are very poor. Is usually the case. Seems you can't have both, which is why I stay away from the spots and enjoy the shape more...Bill

Real Name
    Pat

I hear ya on that but can not seem to resist the spots but I'm still early in the discus addiction. I'm sure I will refine my desires as I get more experience under my belt.

Registered Member

That's OK Pat...some prefer the spots no matter the shape. As said...to each his own...Bill

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by William Palumbo View Post
    That's OK Pat...some prefer the spots no matter the shape. As said...to each his own...Bill
    Felt like I just got a little pat on the head...LOL

Quote Originally Posted by m3h3c3 View Post
    Simple...red spotted greens are more rare than regular greens as evidenced by % collected and price difference. There's usually a large price diff between just a few spots and 'royal' spotted greens, so as with all strains it comes down to rarity and demand.
    Well yeah, they're not as common, but we're not collecting baseball cards here.

My question deals with the looks alone, independent of price. In your other examples it can easily be argued that those variants cost more because they look better. I don't see that as the case with the RSG. They just look strange to me.

Registered Member Discus Origins's Avatar

Well Dave I guess that's where personal preference would come in. I DO think the RSGs look better than plain greens, hence why I have them. Nothing wrong with your preference of solid green, but to me they look strange as if something is missing.

Mark

Is there a particular amount/ location of the spots that is better? Do some have not enough spots or spots in the wrong place that make them less desirable?

I'm not trying to be a pain here. It took me a while to figure out that heckels were cool too.

Registered Member

Mark,

Thanks for all the info on your set up. It sure sounds cramped to me but it also sounds it works for you.

I like to hear more from you guy's abouth water changing regime, water qualety, tank size, number of fish and so on. In other words,..what does it take to keep wild greens happy and healthy?

As for spots,....the Japura indeed have strong red dots centered in a turquoise larger dot. In general they have a red base color as well. As for shapes,....I think the somewhat oval shape is a normal shape for a wild green while blue/brown and heckels are much rounder. The shape of the head of greens is diferent as well. Bill,...you seem to dislike the natural shape of a wild green lol (-; Maybe we listen to much to all the "experts" that set "the rules" for a good looking discus. It can couse people to lose their minds and pay not only for a nice looking patterned healthy discus but also $4 extra for each dot. It is perfectly fine to love greens without dots and those often show a nice greenish shine on their body. To everyone their own preferences.

Registered Member

Dutch Dude...I don't mind the natural shape of the Green. As long as it's not over-exaggerated. You have poorly shaped specimens in ALL strains/breeds. Because I don't like a "football" shaped Discus, does not mean that I feel all Greens are that way. Some obviously rounder than others. You are very correct that the other strains are usually much more round than the Greens. Spots, again a preference, and a preference to where the spots are located...Bill

Registered Member Discus Origins's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dave B View Post
    Is there a particular amount/ location of the spots that is better? Do some have not enough spots or spots in the wrong place that make them less desirable?

I'm not trying to be a pain here. It took me a while to figure out that heckels were cool too.
    Dave, I agree with Bill here that it basically comes down to personal preference. Now we can discuss how collectors separate the fish they catch, and it would be the number of spots and body shape. Most greens are observed to come in with more elongated shape, it could have something to do with their natural environment where the rivers have higher current flow. But you can find greens with great body shape too, and those are a premium. There is really not a 'wrong place' for the spots, all green will have some spotting in the anal fin...but its the spots in the middle of the body that are sought after. My simple rule, anything less than 50 spots is a good RSG, anything with over 100 spots is a great RSG. Just my opinion.

Registered Member mountain_priest's Avatar

here's my two rsg's from snook, they were 3.5" when i got them for $45 each early last year
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm an old softy for greens...looking good, mate...Gary
    The meek shall inherit the earth. The oceans are for the brave.

Registered Member mountain_priest's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TURQ64 View Post
    I'm an old softy for greens...looking good, mate...Gary
    thanks Gary, that makes two of us. i feel very lucky these greens landed on my hand.

ej

You gotta be happy with the way they turned out. Nice.
    Kacey

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast