ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wild Discus Tech Notes 3... Solid Browns and Blues...The basics and More....

Default Wild Discus Tech Notes 3... Solid Browns and Blues...The basics and More....

Given the Intense interest in Wild discus...I propose we start a discussion here about wild Discus and the traits that make them desirable apart from Domestics and compared to each other.... Some of this is subjective........ But I think if we do this is an intelligent general way alot can be learned by those new to the wild side of things or leaning there.

I think a good way to do this is for hobbyists here to post their fish, list the prices paid, and point out what they feel is the strong points and weak points of their fish....WE can do this for each major type of wild and build a database.. No need to discuss where the fish came from...do that by Pm if you want.,

I encourage others to comment on the fish if they can as to strengths and weaknesses... understand this will happen if you post to this thread.

Thanks...

This thread Please discus only wild Browns and Blues..solid body, including Red based wilds....

-al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member

Default Re: Wild Discus Tech Notes 3... Solid Browns and Blues...The basics and More..

Here are my only two Wild Blues for now. Besides the nice shape and fin balance, I like that they have minimal striping, and that it's only on the perimeter of the fish. For whatever reason I am much, much more picky about the quality of my wilds vs. domestics. It's hard to describe, but when I see it, I know it. These fish were $75 each. The seller sent me a few pics via e-mail for me to choose from, and for that I am thankful. That is the ONLY way I buy my wilds...Bill
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Wild Discus Tech Notes 3... Solid Browns and Blues...The basics and More..

Quote Originally Posted by William Palumbo View Post
    Besides the nice shape and fin balance, I like that they have minimal striping, and that it's only on the perimeter of the fish. ll
    +1 I like them a lot for those reasons as well. Very nice blues!
    Melissa

Just be yourself. The people who matter, won't mind.
    And the people who mind, won't matter.

Real Name
    Ralph

Ok, let's see what I have.
    These are some wild Curipera Discus I got back in 2006. These were given to me as replacement for the loss of my 10 Adult Altums during shipping. Shipping bags came in with water temp at 69 degrees. Anyhow, I fell in love with this group but didn't last long as the following year...I lost all 5 due too both heaters stuck open during a weekend camping trip and fried my prize fish. I am hoping to get the exact fish in my search for wild's once again.
    At that time, the red eye were $120 ea and yellow eye were $80 ea.
    A tragic loss looking at my babies.

...Ralph
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice fish, Ralph..It's always some freak thing that wipes out the best ones, or so it seems to me.Up north here, it's the dreaded power failures that last too long in really cold weather.....Gary
    The meek shall inherit the earth. The oceans are for the brave.

I bought these Maderia Reds at the end of the season, nobody wanted them. $40ea
    Rough and didn't look like much.

They matured into a deep mahogany red without using color enhancers.

The shape turned out ok, and would probably look good in a simple tank layout with light natural colored sand and manzanita. I like the rich colors and the red trimmed black halo on these wilds.

I wake up in the morning with wild discus.

Registered Member

Bill, you have a way with turning these "ugly ducklings" into Wilds to be proud of! I LOVE that type of halo and wish it was on ALL my Discus...wilds and domestics. What does you diet and feeding schedule consist of?...Bill

Bill, you have a way with turning these "ugly ducklings" into Wilds to be proud of! I LOVE that type of halo and wish it was on ALL my Discus...wilds and domestics. What does you diet and feeding schedule consist of?...Bill
    Hey Bill
    I don't do anything different then you probably do. Treat them just like domestics until they are ready to spawn. Daily water change ~50%, flake, pellets and homemade mix, two - three times per day. As long as they are eating and look good they will grow like domestics. If they slow or look thin I'll treat for that otherwise I leave them alone and enjoy them.
    And why? Your discus always look in awesome top shape!
    Bill

Registered Member

Thanks Bill...it just seems yours grow very well. Maybe it's just your documentation of them before/after pics. Is your mix BH based? I have not fed my wilds any BH this time around. Maybe I should. You got me beat on the wc's too!...Bill

Registered Member round flat fish's Avatar

those reds are really nice. I like the color. Makes me want a group of reds!

Let me bring the oddballs on then. These guys are about as pattern-free as it gets, so they definately fall under the Solid Brown category even though they never show any shade of the brown range that would truly resemble a Brown Discus as we know it.

With a little help and favour from a friend I purchased them directly from an importer and wholesaler in Germany in 2008. I read some of the recently closed threads here and although my source has no direct (or maybe even indirect) connection to this place, I only disclose the original list price of 107€/piece which roughly works out to 145USD. Since cost was not a concern when I got them, so I didn't think much about whether they were worth it or not. Of all the Xingú discus I have seen in real life before I got them ( nil ), they were the absolute nicest ones. Joke aside, now, after more than two years of having them I would say that they were the best ever shopping I've done discus-wise.

Their strengths are numerous. 5 out of the 7 have quite nice and round shapes, the finnages are quite well-proportioned, only the last two in the pecking order give the sort of impression that the last two would normally give. They are slimmer, not as round-shaped and their colours are never as vibrant as all of the others'. There are some minor remains of obvious fin-damages, but nothing beyond that.
    They all came with amber eyes and I can't remember seeing any red-eyed specimen in the group of about 50 fish in the seller's tank. I was under the impression that Xingús only come with amber eyes until I saw the very obviously red-eyed F1's. Although now it looks like the eyes of biggest and oldest ones are losing their red. We shall see. No colour-enhancing of any sort here, so the progress should reflect the natural way.

The three pics come with 1-1 years' intervals, with the first taken some minutes after their arrival, the second in the 300liter "freaky" cube and the last one three weeks ago. They look like they are in their prime now and if I can find owners for the remaining F1's I have, I would possibly give breeding them another try. Better results can be achived, but I must only focus on one pair at a time. The big ones look ready for it...

Nandi
    QT_tank 001.jpgDSCF7479.jpgDSCF9082.jpg
    --=== LIQUID TENSION EXPERIMENT ===--

Registered Member

Beautiful browns. Pure and natural. Makes me want to setup another tank

I need to read all Bill's posts on how to care for discus. That is a stunning transformation. I have so much to learn.

Yun-

- 265G Wild Discus Community
    - 90G African Cichlids
    - 56G Reef
    - 20G, 20G, 29G Community
    - 20G, 26G, 36G empty

Thanks Bill...it just seems yours grow very well. Maybe it's just your documentation of them before/after pics. Is your mix BH based? I have not fed my wilds any BH this time around. Maybe I should. You got me beat on the wc's too!...Bill
    I always take the before pictures for reference, my memory is getting bad.
    Ya, BH, shrimp, sometimes a little spinach and sprinkle of vitamins same for all mine.
    While they are growing my best intention is 50% WC, you know how that goes. They are cut back now to 50% twice a week and 25% the rest of the week.

Quote Originally Posted by NanDiscus View Post
    Let me bring the oddballs on then. These guys are about as pattern-free as it gets, so they definately fall under the Solid Brown category even though they never show any shade of the brown range that would truly resemble a Brown Discus as we know it. They look like they are in their prime now and if I can find owners for the remaining F1's I have, I would possibly give breeding them another try.
    Nandi
    Hey Nandi
    Nothing odd ball about your Xingus, I fell in love with them from your first post. Those colors, the yellow brown, is so appealing I would love to have a high definition picture of them hanging on my wall to look at. If I lived closer I'd get your F1's for sure and try to help myself to one of your pairs when you went down to the horse barn. Absolutely beautiful group of wilds and awesome job you have done with them.
    Thanks for the life cycle pictures.
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by YSS View Post
    I need to read all Bill's posts on how to care for discus. That is a stunning transformation. I have so much to learn.
    Far to much credit. They were small and looked rough but healthy. Never had to treat them for anything and just keep them as simple as possible. That's all I capable of anyway so got lucky.

Registered Member

Nandi, those Xingus are still some of my favorite wilds. A good purchase I agree...Bill

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast