AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Wild Discus Tech Notes 3... Solid Browns and Blues...The basics and More....

Default Re: Wild Discus Tech Notes 3... Solid Browns and Blues...The basics and More..

Len,
    Those are some lovely wilds there and they should look like magic with proper care in no time.
    One note on the sand: these guy need it, because they eat it too, along with a lot of stuff they pick up off the ground. My wilds spend a lot of time shifting through the sand and the young ones I keep in a tank with sand in it eat more off the ground and are less agressive after feeding than the ones with no sand on the bottom.

Fine white sand can be messy, but if you leave only 1/4"-1/3" of it on the bottom and keep another bucketful washed out and put away, you can sometimes remove some of the sand from the tank with the w/c's and replace it with some from the bucket. I've been rotating a total of about 15 kilos of sand in the big tank for nearly a year now and it works well. And the fish love it.

Congrats on the fish again, I could live with a lot like that too.

Nandi
    --=== LIQUID TENSION EXPERIMENT ===--

Default Re: Wild Discus Tech Notes 3... Solid Browns and Blues...The basics and More..

Maybe I just have too much of it in the tank. There is about 2 to 3 inches (tank was planted) so maybe I'll try leaving about 1/4" inch or so like you suggest and see if that is easier to keep clean. So far the only thing they will eat though is the FD Blackworms. They seem to ignore the bottom of the tank completely.

If the tank was planted, then you may still have quite some lights above it. Cut down on the lights too. I only use a 3'-long fluorescent over my 8' tank and it's enough. You can use more later on, but they need quite some rest until they get used to their new homes. Don't try to force them into the environment you have at the moment, but try to comfort them as much as you can and change the environment gradually to what both the fish and you are happy with. It means water quality, lights, substrate, current and all the rest. As for the food.: "The suited man smiled and said: It's just a matter of time... you can deviate from the commonplace only to fall back in line." Dream Theater applied to discus. Not bad...

Nandi
    Last edited by NanDiscus; 02-09-2011 at 07:31 PM. Reason: train of thought
    --=== LIQUID TENSION EXPERIMENT ===--

Great, thanks for the tips

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Len, use layers of window screen to shade the light. I have my tank shaded in the back and middle. I have six Nhamunda reds and the shaded areas allow the fish to adapt to the light as they please. Love your browns BTW.

Last edited by jimg; 03-10-2011 at 07:54 PM.

Nice, Jim....Gary
    The meek shall inherit the earth. The oceans are for the brave.

Real Name
    Pat

They are all very nice. What type of blue are they?

Thanks Gary and Pat. they are reds from Hans's $85.00 ones

Real Name
    Pat

Very nice for the money. How big are they?

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Very nice for the money. How big are they?
    about 5 1/2+"

I also picked up a nice red for $85 from Hans two Saturdays ago. He is huge 6"+ and very red. But he is not that red in my tank. Not sure what's wrong with my setup. But it must be something with water. Could it be bright light?

When did you get yours Jim? They look awesome!

Yun-

- 265G Wild Discus Community
    - 90G African Cichlids
    - 56G Reef
    - 20G, 20G, 29G Community
    - 20G, 26G, 36G empty

Quote Originally Posted by YSS View Post
    I also picked up a nice red for $85 from Hans two Saturdays ago. He is huge 6"+ and very red. But he is not that red in my tank. Not sure what's wrong with my setup. But it must be something with water. Could it be bright light?

I got them about a month ago, they are in a qt tank with no light. Took them a while to get their color, a little more each week. Yours should color up more once settled. If you think too much light on yours try covering some of the top with a screen or something to shade an area and see if they hang out there more.

I'm waiting on a few of his Mar-Mari Heckles right now (can't wait, usually not too excited on new deliveries)..Tank's been cycling for a month or two..Hope to have as good of luck out of the shoot as you have...
    The meek shall inherit the earth. The oceans are for the brave.

Quote Originally Posted by YSS View Post

Not necessarily the setup, water or light. Wilds get stressed and can end up looking pretty drab. Give them some time before trying to make any adjustments to your set up. I would agree though with finding a way to filter the light. Wilds in particular don't like bright lights and it will take time longer to settle in and acclimate with bright lights. My tanks are in my fish room and I not that worried with looks so I have a strip of cardboard under the light to deflect it and cast some shadows. It can be that simple.
    Larry Bugg

NADA - Vice President
    Atlanta Area Aquarium Association

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast