AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: New 55 diy build

Default Re: New 55 diy build

You know what they say; "if you want to have a drilled tank you have to drill it your self?" not sure if thats what they say but thats what i did Google to see if anyone else drilled that tank
    I do what I must do, to do what I wish to do!
    dominik

Man I just hate the thought of loosin hundreds of dollars!But really Id rather replace a side panel than a back panel(want the overflow in the back)cuz 3/8" glass isnt to cheap.Off to google I guess

The "shizzy" on the tank manufactures my 125gal says,"TopFin"and of course thats petsmarts label but they use a few makers,the small to mid size tanks are made by marienland,the big tanks by prefecto.I found my answer on google but had to be certain so I called,....and called........and called.And yes only bottoms are tempered.Man....I have so many projects goin on,my wifes gonna kill me!Hahaha!

Registered Member

I think you can tell the differance between tempered glass and regular glass with polarized sunglasses. If you have some lets me know if you see the differance.

Ya youre right,you can take the tank outside look at it in the sun with polorized shades and see the checkerboard or diamond pattern in the glass,like on some cars.Or you supposedly can put a bright LCD screen behind the glass and look at it at an angle with the sunglasses too.I never tried it cuz I have a hard time believing anything!lol.But Ive since talked to 2 of the main aquarium manufactures and they tell me almost ALL tanks are only tempered on the bottom piece of glass(and it seemed like I pulled their teeth just for that little bit of info,like they were breaking some patent laws or something!!)

Yeah,tempered glass is more expensive than plate glass. To hold down costs, you only find tempered glass on the bottoms of production tanks for impact resistance. Of course, you can get anything you want on custom tanks.
    Darrell

time for update.
    I stopped dosing ferts for about 3weeks and this started happening

so i trimmed it a little

but this was long time ago.

I had a 2days off this week and well, i got bored so I decided to redo my sump a little.

took this

put it there

ps. I didnt drill in acrylic, I heated up a copper pipe and melted me some holes

I wanted to add micron filters as I was getting small particles in the tank. Rocking 1x50 & 1x100 micron bags.

top view, Finnex digital heater, I've had it for about 2-3months I think, so far so good.

So I was getting some junk stuck under bioballs in corners so I decided to try a moving bed bio filtration(is the name I think). I cut out the outer ring of the bioballs(period of two beers) to make them smaller, I dont remember why, hmmm why did I do than? Make them smaller but for what? Anyways.
    Fusion700 with 4 Asian air stones is each corner.

It working I guess.
    Poor video, sorry

Thats all for now.
    dominik

Hey good people!!!
    Man I've been gone for long time! Many things have kept me busy, this is one of them, new in-wall build!

I dont have as many pictures as from the previous one, but I will post some soon.

No fish yet. Pool filter sand and some vals for now. Needs to settle, then I'll bring over some of my little fish and see how it goes.
    dominik

Your DIY project is most impressive.
    Since you seem to like tinkering with it so much there is one change I would recommend visa vi your moving bed biofilter which would triple it's efficiency.
    Instead of your altered bio-balls, check out the Kaldnes K1 Biofilm carriers. See here:http://www.aquaticeco.com/subcategor.../Kaldnes-Media
    Larry Waybright

wow your last tank is amazing!!! i wish i could see it with the lights on though!

Hiii
    My new in wall project is almost complete. Just waiting for my K1(thanks for hint Apistomaster). Will do a step by step soon
    dominik

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234