ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Some Feedback Please and free Freeze Dried Blackworms.....

Exclamation Some Feedback Please and free Freeze Dried Blackworms.....

Hi all,
    Well, I can't believe it how fast time has gone by, But its been almost a year now since I started selling these Freeze Dried Blackworms.. I must say I have been really happy with the way things have been developing. I have been very fortunate to build a great relationship with my supplier, Mal Davidson, and with many very good customers as well. My thanks to all! I'm looking forward to working with everyone this upcoming year.

What I could use is more feedback as to how the product is working for you and how you are using it. It would be great if any of you could post pics, videos, info, etc. I'd like to hear from you in this thread. It would be great to see how you are using Freeze Dried Blackworms, how much you feed per numbers of fish, how often, etc, types of fish you feed them to.... Pretty much all the info you can give me here.

My Purpose is of course to get out the word more, so I'll use this info as I can to that goal... Its also to educate others and finally to deepen my understanding of the product and its use as the excellent fish food that I believe it is.

As a Thank you for your Help, I'll Pick two of you that posts here in this thread to receive 50 Grams of either loose or cubed for Free, shipping included. I'll award those March 1, 2011.

Thanks in advance everyone!

Al
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 01-26-2011 at 08:35 AM.
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Default Re: Some Feedback Please and free Freeze Dried Blackworms.....

I have tried the FDB after reading how people whose opinion I respect were raving about them. I always look to use the best food with the least mess and waste, the blackworms fulfill that challange and more. I am currently feeding them to my discus and angelfish, they attack them like no other food I use including FBW and Tetra Pellets and Angel one flakes. The food is very clean and does not foul the tanks. Most important of all is, the fish are growing so well on it and color up and try to spawn like crazy. I use the cubes because its easier and cleaner for me to just throw in 6 to 8 cubes per 55 gallon tank. Thats about 8 to 10 discus per tank and they all have full bellies with some left over for the Pleco's.

Summing up, easy to feed, a little goes a long way, fish love it, great growth, health and color.
    Mark

Registered Member

Hi Al
    When I had discus[lost 5 rt 2 weeks ago] attacked it. My bettas go absolutely insane over it. One question. I have had mine for about a year and keep it in a fish food can. Is it still good, nutritionally speaking?
    Thanks Jay Walsh

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Al was kind enough to send me some of his FDBW in exchange for some Opuntia I sent him last fall. Four weeks ago today I received my first discus which was a wild group of Nhamanda red wild discus. Feeding the FDBW to this group opened the door to them accepting other foods but the FDBW is by far their favorite. Other foods offered are BH mix, mysis shrimp, ON formula one and flake.

The picture below shows the left most red about to catch one of the FWBW in the water column.

I'm feeding the worms once a day to this group of six discus. I take a teaspoon the loose worms and soak them in RO water for a few minutes. I use the back side of a spoon to push any air out of the worms and pour the worms into the filter (AC 110) return water to the tank. This puts the worms into the water column allowing the discus to use natural feeding methods.

There is a small power head at the opposible side of the tank from the filter which pushes the worms back to the waterfall from the filter. When the worms hit the waterfall the worms are pushed back into the water column for the discus. All the discus sit under the waterfall waiting for the worms. All the worms are eaten in about an hour.

Registered Member

I love them for all the reasons listed in the above posts. The first time I tried them, I KNEW these were going to be BIG! I stated that much. Just surprised they are not BIGGER. I grew up fry fast and fat with them...juvies and breeders ate them. No "issues" at all. ZERO waste, clean and easy...Bill
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Pat

Bill, do you have to chop the worms into smaller pieces for small fry (quarter sized)?

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Bill, do you have to chop the worms into smaller pieces for small fry (quarter sized)?
    No Pat...they tear them up!...I do put some in a coffee grinder and grind them QUICK for smaller fry, like Lime bean sized. At thumbnail size, they are eating them whole...Bill

Real Name
    Pat

Thanks Bill, I can use them "as is" for Dale's fry.

FDBW's are a staple for me. Along with Discus I currently have GBR, Angels, Apistos, Tetras and Cories and they all get them. I use both cubbed and loose but the cubed don't go in the tank cubed. Like Bill, I use a coffee grinder with a VERY quick grind to get a couple different sizes for my smaller fish. I grind the cubed because it is easier to handle in the grinder. I will grind a bag of fairly fine and a bag of what I would call a medium grind. I don't soak any before feeding them. I just sprinkle them like I would a flake food. All my fish very happily come to the surface to feed on them. I have to agree with MSD that one of the best benefits is that they don't foul the water. Of course the primary benefit is the nutritional value and that all fish love them so much.
    Larry Bugg

NADA - Vice President
    Atlanta Area Aquarium Association

Real Name
    Rick

My Purpose is of course to get out the word more, so I'll use this info as I can to that goal... Its also to educate others and finally to deepen my understanding of the product and its use as the excellent fish food that I believe it is.
    You left out dog treat

Registered Member

do you have a link on were to buy the FDBW?
    I have my first ordedr of Kennys discus coming in and would like to try some.

Real Name
    Rick

On a more serious note, I feed the cubed FDBW everyday (morning) as a staple from everything starting with 1 1/2 inch fry up to my breeding pairs. All the fish love them and growth is great. It's a clean food so I dont have to worry about uneaten flakes or pellets laying on the bottom of my tanks fouling the water during the day while I am away at work.

Also, as they are freeze dried I have found them to be an excellent medium of transport for water soluble supplements such as pro-more and pro-growth. I dissolve the supplements in water, add the cubes and they suck them up like a dry sponge. Place them in the tank and they are eaten almost instantly. While I have yet to try, I would expect the same could be done with certain ingestable medications.

My personal favorite method of feeding the cubes is via homemade blackworm feeders that are nothing more than plastic mesh (needle point) fashioned in a cube with a small hunk of fishing line and a small weight on the end. Place the cube of blackworms inside and drop it in the tank. It suspends itself off the bottom a few inches (depending on how much fishing line you used).

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Randy-S View Post
    do you have a link on were to buy the FDBW?
    I have my first ordedr of Kennys discus coming in and would like to try some.
    Yeah! I get to help someone. Try here: http://www.aquaticsuppliers.com/

Quote Originally Posted by nc0gnet0 View Post
    On a more serious note, I feed the cubed FDBW everyday (morning) as a staple from everything starting with 1 1/2 inch fry up to my breeding pairs. All the fish love them and growth is great. It's a clean food so I dont have to worry about uneaten flakes or pellets laying on the bottom of my tanks fouling the water during the day while I am away at work.

Also, as they are freeze dried I have found them to be an excellent medium of transport for water soluble supplements such as pro-more and pro-growth. I dissolve the supplements in water, add the cubes and they suck them up like a dry sponge. Place them in the tank and they are eaten almost instantly. While I have yet to try, I would expect the same could be done with certain ingestable medications.

My personal favorite method of feeding the cubes is via homemade blackworm feeders that are nothing more than plastic mesh (needle point) fashioned in a cube with a small hunk of fishing line and a small weight on the end. Place the cube of blackworms inside and drop it in the tank. It suspends itself off the bottom a few inches (depending on how much fishing line you used).
    cool idea, snap a few pictures of your feeder if you do not mind.

Registered Member

Al,
    In Chicago, Squiggy [Joe], Polar Bear [Larry F] and I have been bulk ordering since they came out but here is more feedback for the product: Same as above, a clean, nutrient and protein rich food that the Discus all eat readily, always. Similarly to Pat's method, I put them in to the tank in front of either an aquaclear or a spray bar in the loose form and they blow around. The fish go into a frenzy and make short work of them. I start giving them at the same ages and in the same ways Bill Palumbo mentioned [frequently to his baby fish, LOL!]. I have a couple small planted tanks with fancy Tiger Endlers Live Bearers in them. Very small fish--so I put them in the coffee grinder and pretty well pulverize them. The Endlers cruise the surface water and nip them away quickly--the fry have no trouble picking them up and grow quickly on them.
    An excellent food, and a real bonus to the hobby.
    best regards,
    Harriett
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 01-26-2011 at 04:27 PM.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast