AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Some Feedback Please and free Freeze Dried Blackworms.....

Real Name
    Fred

Default Re: Some Feedback Please and free Freeze Dried Blackworms.....

Hi Al.

I got back into discus after a 10 year break. I have to admitt that I never had real success feeding freeze dried worms in the past. Last December I pick a group of 10 small Blue Diamonds discus (2-3 inch) as a first batch to grow so that I could get the hang of it back.

I had read some of the feedback on the Freeze Dried Blackworms, and decided to give a go so I ordered a 50g loose bag. First time I used it I squeeze a little pinch against the glass. To my surprise right away they jump on it, no need to cut them as they just tear them to pieces.

Right now I`m feeding them with FDBW 2 times day, they still devour them like there no tomorow. a 50gr bag will last me about 2-3 months I would say... Yes I`m going to be due by the end of the month. this is a great product. I dunno about the rest of you, but I`ve been having trouble getting the quality products from my LFS, I'm glad that your offering these as they are now a basic component of my feeding program.

here some of the little guys having a meal.

Cheers,

Fred

This is the missing link in the food chain. I have purchased 2kilos so far and have been very pleased with this food. A must for breeders. Ed
    "There was no spoon"

I have not found that good of a results in my using FDBW's as they don't stay stuck to the glass wall of the tank or sink? I know it's because they're FREEZE-DRIED, I love'em and my discus do too, my only ***** is that they are unsinkable/? I mainly use them in my beef-heart mix or my seafood mix they really do the trick in the mix. Thanks Al, nice to have you around so we can get them anytime we need to. Jim in Ohio

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyjoe View Post
    I have not found that good of a results in my using FDBW's as they don't stay stuck to the glass wall of the tank or sink? I know it's because they're FREEZE-DRIED, I love'em and my discus do too, my only ***** is that they are unsinkable/? I mainly use them in my beef-heart mix or my seafood mix they really do the trick in the mix. Thanks Al, nice to have you around so we can get them anytime we need to. Jim in Ohio
    For me, I have never gotten them to actually sink, as in to the bottom of the tank. I can however, take the loose between my thumb and finger, stick them in the water, squeeze them tightly and they will suspend in the water column. Another method, if my fish happen to let them float for 5 minutes or so (doesn't usually happen) is to swirl them around with my hand. After sitting on top for 5 minutes or so they will suspend in the water column. But, as stated earlier my fish all eat them from the surface so this just isn't necessary.
    Larry Bugg

NADA - Vice President
    Atlanta Area Aquarium Association

Real Name
    Rick

Kenny

Sorry for the bad picture, they attack the FDBW and hard to get a good picture they are moving so fast, but this will give you an idea:

Easy to make and inexpensive. The cube of FDBW makes the feeder float and it gets bouned back and forth as they feed, when I want to take it out I just use one of those grabber devices you use to get screws and stuff out of registers, can pick them up at any hardware story for a couple of bucks.

I have been using the freeze dryed black worms for about a year now. I can't say enough good things about the quality of this food or how the fish accept them. They are by far their favorite food. I buy the 200 gram size cubes and feed twice a day. Most of my discus are 5 inches in size or larger and they look more like Piranha's when feeding these worms. I have to be careful that I don't lose a finger. The discus were purchased from Kenny and Hans and they never seem to get enough of these worms. Most are in a community tank with Angels, Blue Rams, Sterba Cories and BN albino plecos. They all enjoy the worms but none as much as the discus. Al of course has to be the fastest shipper I ever seen. Keep up the great work!

David

As I've said the fish love'm I do as you do also swirling them around so they get suspended in the water column I just wanted to state that all that is a hassle, and that's why I use them in my mix's .

Thanks everyone for the feedback, please do keep those comments and info coming !!

-al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Thanks everyone for the feedback, please do keep those comments and info coming !!

-al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Registered Member patrick richard's Avatar

I've been feeding these FDBW to my discus for the past 4 months. I have always fed frozen bloodworms, along with a wide variety of other foods. I always have to wear gloves when feeding the frozen bloodworms since I breakout in a rash from them. I always fed them because my discus went crazy over them. One day when I was visiting Al at his place, he told me to give these FDBW a try. I did just that. I put a pinch of these worms in my tank, and my fish attacked them like I've never seen before. I have since introduced them to my normal daily feeding schedule. I was cutting them up for my small fry and they loved them. The best thing about feeding them to my fry is that they are very clean, and they don't foul up my water. I also have been feeding them to my breeding pairs, they've never looked happier. I've also stopped purchasing the frozen bllodworms. The FDBW are just so much better for my discus.

If you're debating on whether to try them or not, just read all the responces to these worms, and trust in what everyone is saying.

Patrick

I ordered this a couple of weeks back. I have been feeding it to them 2 times a day and they attack it like its there last meal. The first day that I gave it to them they was at first curious and they really moved past that quickly. Once I get close to the tank any more you would think that they are going to take my fingers off. They love shredding the cubes apart and they really get everything flying around the tank and they go on attack mode. I love that it dont foul my water. There hasnt been any leftovers ever since I've been using it. For the amount you get and the price you pay is very reasonable. Shipping is quick even in bad weather. They get a lot of nutrition from these worms vs other worms that you may feed. I completly stopped with the bloodworms and staying with the blackworms. I just put the others in the trash. They didnt eat the bloodworms anymore since they started on the blackworms. I cant give enough praise for this product. I and my fish will be life time customers to this product. As soon as my wigglers are able to eat there first meal I will be trying it along with the brine shrimp. I cant wait to have this site!!!!
    Wendy

Thanks for the feedback Patrick and Wendy!!

-al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Registered Member

Hi

Freeze Dried Blackworms is great. I have the loose kind and just sprinkled them like I do for flake and my discus will eat them all (~ 48 Wilds (Hans/Hudson) and ~ 35 domesticated (Forrest/Wayne). I feed them several time during the evening along with other types of food. A 200g will last me about 1.5 months...recently I just got some more from Al (1kg). Great services from Al....Thanks

I have been using the loose FDBW on the juvies I picked up a month ago. They really gobble them up. They know that after each wc each day (twice a day) that they get these worms and they wait at the top right in the water flow waiting for worms. They really like them. I also feed flakes twice a day and frozen blood worms once per day and beef heart mix (from Al) once per day. I really like using these worms as they are clean and very nutritious for the fish! Looks like about 50 grams per month with the 32 youngsters at this point, but that amount is increasing as they grow. (its now a large pinch in each tank (16 youngsters in each of 2 75 gallon tanks).
    I will be looking at the 200 g bags next order.

Ardan

I agree with all the positive comments mentioned above regarding the FDBW so will not repeat them again. I would like to share how I feed them to my fish. I like the cubed as it gives me the option to break them up into smaller cubes.

For my juvies, I feed them 2x a day FDBW with the second time just before lights out and after my daily WCs. Its clean and no mess. I also place the cubes in front of the filter outflow area where they chase after it. I give approx 3 cubes to 14 juvies and it is all gone within 10 mins or less. Their other meals including Al's BH mix, flake and pellets for total of 5-6 meals a day.

For my adults, they get feed 2x a day. One feeding with FDBW and other with BH flake. The biggest advantage I see is that it is highly nutritious and very clean food for the fish and oh yet, they love this stuff.
    Pete
    MAGA

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast