AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: White pimples

Registered Member

Default Re: White pimples

They are still very irritated from the parasites but maybe that would be best, that way I can get all the clout out and start with QC. I still am afraid to use it cause of what happened to the discus that died. I know it could have been something else that killed it but it did happen the morning following dose of QC, and it appeared healthy prior. As for good water changes is what Im already doing classified as good? Daily is not possible.

Registered Member

oh and would it be best to leave the temp at 82 while they rest so I dont have to lower it again to start treatment of QC? I dont think this will go away without meds.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeful View Post
    oh and would it be best to leave the temp at 82 while they rest so I dont have to lower it again to start treatment of QC? I dont think this will go away without meds.
    Keep the temp at 82, get some pictures of the spots for better diagnosis. Also, anytime you use a chemotherapeutic agent, such as formalin, it is best to observe the fish throughout the entire treatment. Dosing a tank and going to bed is the worst thing you can do, as you cannot see if the fish are reacting poorly to the chemicals.
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Registered Member

I used QC on them when I first got them with no ill effect so again I asumed(big mistake) I will try to get pictures, it would make it easier.

Registered Member

Ok I have some pictures that I will try to post. They are not very good as they were quickly take by someones cell phone. The spots that you can see on the orange discus with all the peppering look like that now, you can only see it on the fins but it's on the body as well and he has new ones on his side fins today too. The others have them also but it is only seen at certain angles and haven't kind of pussed out like they have on the orange guy. http://s1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee437/Hopeful5/

From the pictures, those spots on the fins come and go. When did you last do a full cleaning of the filter?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    Visit Eddie's Place

Registered Member

well I dont think I did that right It dosen't look the way you guys post. Please let me know how to post it right.

well I dont think I did that right It dosen't look the way you guys post. Please let me know how to post it right.
    No worries, I just went through your album.

You want to copy the IMG code for the picture and paste that into the thread.

Visit Eddie's Place

Registered Member

nope never had spots before and they dont really go just kinda flaten out. I clean the filter atleast once a month. I was also thinking that some of them if not all are stunted they have looked like this since I have had them. The rose red is in a seperate tank she is the one that lost her mate, I have had her since she was little very little. When you say full cleaning what do you mean? rinse or tear down and steralize it?
    Last edited by Hopeful; 02-07-2011 at 04:20 AM.

Registered Member

OH!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    No worries, I just went through your album.

You want to copy the IMG code for the picture and paste that into the thread.

Registered Member

could you tell me what you think of these guys, all though I guess it doesn't matter I love them no matter that they are far from perfect but I am wondering if there is anything I can do to improve the way they look.

could you tell me what you think of these guys, all though I guess it doesn't matter I love them no matter that they are far from perfect but I am wondering if there is anything I can do to improve the way they look.
    Are these your very first discus?

Visit Eddie's Place

Problem with treating in planted tanks is there are a lot of organics in the water column from the plants and substrate etc. The likes of formalin and I suspect trichlorofon will be used up on all organics (plants, wood etc) as well as the target organisms, so it's effects in a planted are reduced. UV with meds is always a no-no too should be switched off whilst treating. Don't know if you run carbon or not but this should be removed as well.

The pimples are what I though and usually a change in maintenance resolves, as to what they are, tbh I'm not 100% sure. I like the theory of them being encapsulated bacteria/pathogens. I do know that they occur from time to time and all I do is get back on top of my maintenance.

To post pics from photobucket just go to the pic you want and you will see a list of addresses, click the one that says IMG code, ten just paste it into your post.

As for the fish, they generally look quite healthy but are not what would be called high quality. All you can do with any discus is give them lots of clean water and a good diet, feed two or three times a day.
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    Are these your very first discus?

Sort of, the only discus that survied from the first batch is the red rose in the picture by it's self, I was able to keep 6 alive for a year. I was using our wellwater with them and found that a challenge as they were all very small babies so she is all I have left from that batch. I set up barrel and r/o water and reconstruct it and My dad bought these ones for me. they are what they were when bought except healthier. I have been learning now for 1.5 yr's I guess.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by pcsb23 View Post
    Problem with treating in planted tanks is there are a lot of organics in the water column from the plants and substrate etc. The likes of formalin and I suspect trichlorofon will be used up on all organics (plants, wood etc) as well as the target organisms, so it's effects in a planted are reduced. UV with meds is always a no-no too should be switched off whilst treating. Don't know if you run carbon or not but this should be removed as well.

The pimples are what I though and usually a change in maintenance resolves, as to what they are, tbh I'm not 100% sure. I like the theory of them being encapsulated bacteria/pathogens. I do know that they occur from time to time and all I do is get back on top of my maintenance.

To post pics from photobucket just go to the pic you want and you will see a list of addresses, click the one that says IMG code, ten just paste it into your post.

As for the fish, they generally look quite healthy but are not what would be called high quality. All you can do with any discus is give them lots of clean water and a good diet, feed two or three times a day.
    I know about planted tanks, it has been sugested to me alot to go BB I just haven't given up on trying to get what I want. I guess I had better figure out what is best for the fish and do it. I did shut off the UV actually it is still off. I dont run carbon but I think I will after waterchange tonight to get all the clout out so I can atleast try the Quick cure if you guys think it wouldn't hurt. What is tbh? I change 60-70% water every couple days, it takes that long to make the r/o water, heat, add formula and age it. I guess this is not enough? I have now gotten them on better food, seafood mix, frozen bloodworms and once in awhile colorbits and feed them 2x a day if they eat. They have been slowing down alot lately. I soo hope I can do this, I like the interaction discus give when they are happy that is.

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast