ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pleco Experts Needed Which Of These Plecos Would Work For Me List Included?

Default Re: Pleco Experts Needed Which Of These Plecos Would Work For Me List Included?

Well I vote for the L134 plecos, I keep a couple with my discus and have found them to be good little workers.

In the past (ten years ago or so) I have had a couple of the royal's and the golden nugets all died.

I did not now about the beefheart bloat problem, as I fed ALOT of it at the time!

Allways learning in this hobby.

Daveo
    Last edited by daveo; 02-13-2011 at 02:37 PM.

Default Re: Pleco Experts Needed Which Of These Plecos Would Work For Me List Included?

Royals would definitely be a problem with discus. Their diet is composed of of grazing on wood. Feeding any amount of proteins to panaque is asking for trouble, unless it's veggie proteins like peas.

Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelsx2 View Post
    Eating immediately is good. Sometimes the wild caught ones don't eat and starve themselves to death. Looks like you got a solid group. Let's see some pics!
    It is hard to see in the pics but they have light blue spots
    L128 Blue Phantom
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Bristlenose Pleco
    [IMG][/IMG]
    My other Bristlenose pleco died on me today. He wasn't in that good of shape when I got him in so no surprise there.
    My wife names my fish

It's looking good. Nice and chubby.

It's looking good. Nice and chubby.
    I have been feeding them algae wafers, bloodworms, and zucchini. I was shocked the other day not sure who ate it all but I put in a big chunk of zucchini I am talking 3" long piece and it was gone in two days. What should I be feeding that Bristlenose?
    Last edited by ZX10R; 02-17-2011 at 08:36 PM.
    My wife names my fish

Just watch the bloodworm feeding. I only give it to my plecos once a month or so. The bnp will eat the same stuff as the L128. Don't leave the zuch in there 2 days as it breaks up and makes a mess. I never leave mine in there more than 24 hours, 36 hours on the outside.

Just watch the bloodworm feeding. I only give it to my plecos once a month or so. The bnp will eat the same stuff as the L128. Don't leave the zuch in there 2 days as it breaks up and makes a mess. I never leave mine in there more than 24 hours, 36 hours on the outside.
    K thanks for the help. I can't wait until this L128 gets larger he is going to look really good. He is black with those light blue spots super nice coloring. The other one I have is more of a light black or dark grey not as good looking as the black one.
    My wife names my fish

They change colours as they age, in my experience. I have 2 now which are greenish, while one is indigo blue and another is smokey grey.

They change colours as they age, in my experience. I have 2 now which are greenish, while one is indigo blue and another is smokey grey.
    Have any pics and how big are yours?
    My wife names my fish

Quote Originally Posted by ZX10R View Post
    Have any pics and how big are yours?
    Biggest one is 5" standard length (no tail)

Super nice I love the colors thanks for sharing
    My wife names my fish

Thanks, as you can see, they love yams.

Real Name
    Rick

Another pleco killer due to bloat is the infamous tetra bit.

Quote Originally Posted by nc0gnet0 View Post
    Another pleco killer due to bloat is the infamous tetra bit.
    As a breeder of L260, L134 and L333 and have other groups I am trying to breed, I feed Tetra Color granules as part of their diet but I have never lost any.
    I produce at least 500 plecos a year and have been involved with breeding them for 7 years. If there was problem I would think I would have seen it by now. I feed the Tetra color granules to the plecos living with Discus the most but all get some each week.
    Bloating usually is an indication of poor water quality. The only food I find that has a relationship to bloating and death is too much beef heart blend. I don't think plecos of the types I raise are physiologically able to digest beef heart well and they tend to eat a lot when given the chance. The uneaten heart can contribute to the problem by fouling the water.
    Larry Waybright

Real Name
    Rick

Apistomaster,

I can conclusevly say I have lost 3 albino longins to bloat due to colorbits. And trust me water quality was not the issue. They existed in my juvenile growout tank which gets an 80% water change everyday. Also has a 36 watt UV with a 180 gph flow rate and a tank capacity of 45 gallons. Tank only has 5 mid size discus (and when this happened they were much smaller). In hindsight, if I had pre-soaked the pellets it probaby never would have happened, and I think the biggest issue was they developed quite a taste for them and gorged themselves on them as soon as they hit the tank floor.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast