AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FOUND THE PROBLEM!! MY WATER. I WON'T KILL ANYMORE

Registered Member discusmurderer's Avatar

Thumbs up FOUND THE PROBLEM!! MY WATER. I WON'T KILL ANYMORE

hI TO ALL, I HAVE FINALLY FOUND THE PROBLEM!. I got some new fish and i decided to do alot of wc's to get max growth and i realised my fish started darting allover again, so i did what Eddie said and i even asked Dan and i did no meds and the more water i changed they would not stop sinning and darting, so i stopped the wc's and i added salt and i left them alone, and to my surprise they kept getting better every day. No scratching,flashing,or spinning. THEY ARE PERFECT! Could anyone tell me whats in my water thats making my fish freak out even though i am using prime and aging with an air stone overnight.This means i am being killed slowly with the water in my pipe.
    If killing fish was an art , I WOULD BE THE PICASSO

Registered Member

Default Re: FOUND THE PROBLEM!! MY WATER. I WON'T KILL ANYMORE

Hey Picasso...You may want to pass your tapwater thru a GAC(Granular Activated Carbon) filter BEFORE it goes into your tank. At least until you know what the problem is. Prime, as good as it is...is not a miracle treatment...Bill

Registered Member

What's a good GAC filter I can get from Home Depot or Lowes?

You'll want one that takes at least two or three cartridges so that you have alot of choices for filter media. 10" cartridges are best, with at least one pre-filter cartridge and one or two Carbon block cartridges.
    Kacey

Hey bill , i did pass it through a filter but it was one of those that i hooked up to a pipe that i fill my barrels
    I have a carbon cartridge in it . Is one not enough? i could set up three in a row.You can see the rust and the dirt in the filter.

Quote Originally Posted by kaceyo View Post
    You'll want one that takes at least two or three cartridges so that you have alot of choices for filter media. 10" cartridges are best, with at least one pre-filter cartridge and one or two Carbon block cartridges.
    I will certainly use three because with this one only they were still being afected

Registered Member

That looks like a pleated micron(mechanical)filter. That's not a carbon one...Bill

Quote Originally Posted by William Palumbo View Post
    That looks like a pleated micron(mechanical)filter. That's not a carbon one...Bill
    I know. I took the carbon one out cause the water was comming brown and it messed it up, i washed it out but i dont feel like putting it back.

You need to run the water through a mechanical filters first to remove dirt, rust etc, then run it through one or two carbon block filters to remove chemicals etc.
    Kacey

Are you filtering your family drinking water as well?
    I never drink water because of the disgusting things that fish do in it.. - W. C. Fields
    Joan R

You need to run the water through a mechanical filters first to remove dirt, rust etc, then run it through one or two carbon block filters to remove chemicals etc.
    As Kacey mentions you need at least one sediment filter before the carbon blocks, otherwise the carbon will be rendered useless as it clogs up. I'd also recommend water treated for fish use, to employ 2 or more carbon blocks as one alone rarely removes everything, especially chlorine.
    When science and magic collide, the story begins.

Real Name
    Rick

sounds like he is aready aging in a barrel, why not recirculate the aged water through a carbon block during the process? However, that being said, go back and read his first post......I doubt a carbon block will do anything here........

Hi kaceyo, Good idea, i was trying to think of someway to do that like put some sponge to block the dirt and rust then pass it though the carbon filters but i just cant think of an easy way to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by joanr View Post
    Are you filtering your family drinking water as well?
    Hey joanr, iI am taking water to cook and drink from the very same tap. The reason i bought it is cause i told my wife it was for cooking until she caught on then she said ( "THAT WAS REALY FOR THE FISH " ) so she caught me. but its a good thing i did cause only when i did this i saw how dirty my water out of the tap is.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed13 View Post
    As Kacey mentions you need at least one sediment filter before the carbon blocks, otherwise the carbon will be rendered useless as it clogs up. I'd also recommend water treated for fish use, to employ 2 or more carbon blocks as one alone rarely removes everything, especially chlorine.
    I am thinking of doing that . that one in the pic cost 130 bucks which is 21 USD so three would be 63 bucks us ,all i have to do is hook them up in series and try to put some sort of sponge filter to take out the sediments.

Quote Originally Posted by nc0gnet0 View Post
    sounds like he is aready aging in a barrel, why not recirculate the aged water through a carbon block during the process? However, that being said, go back and read his first post......I doubt a carbon block will do anything here........
    Hi nc0gnet0,I am filtering the water over and over through a king 2 pond pump in the barrells but before i put the water into the barrells it filters through the carbon at the pipe in the photo. inside of the pond pump has a sponge and it is a very tight sponge, it does not have big holes in it. When i clean it it has a lot of dirt and rust in it . I am going to use the three in one filter and keep on circulating in the barrels cause the fish is not getting worse they are getting better as i clean the water more.So it wasnt wirling disease or a virus but my water company killing my fishes.

Quote Originally Posted by discusmurderer View Post
    Hi kaceyo, Good idea, i was trying to think of someway to do that like put some sponge to block the dirt and rust then pass it though the carbon filters but i just cant think of an easy way to do it.
    Just get one or two more filter housings like the one you have and run them consecutively. Put a 10 micron prefilter cartridge in the first, then carbon block cartidge in the next.
    Kacey

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast