ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wild growouts...

Default Re: Wild growouts...

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell Ward View Post

Thanks, without the background, there are a couple of reflections on the back glass caused by the wall behind the tank, but I can live with it.
    me too lol
    prefer the painted wall unless i'll find an interesting background
    Natalia

We're here for a good time...not a long time..

Registered Member

Wow, those are some beauties you have there how many did you buy, and were they expensive to ship to you, I know you already answered this question but how many did you buy at one time. I'm pondering wilds to start out with are they hard to keep what are you feeding them, and how big will they get. Oh one last question is that green foliage in your tank real or fake, and where did you get it. PattieS

Quote Originally Posted by pattiesouls View Post
    Wow, those are some beauties you have there how many did you buy, and were they expensive to ship to you, I know you already answered this question but how many did you buy at one time. I'm pondering wilds to start out with are they hard to keep what are you feeding them, and how big will they get. Oh one last question is that green foliage in your tank real or fake, and where did you get it. PattieS
    There are 12 discus in the tank. I ordered them in groups of 6. Shipping was around $50 overnight from South Florida to North Carolina. I mostly feed them live black worms, homemade seafood mix, and some freeze dried. Not hard to keep at all really. Temp. at 82F to 84F, PH 6, and I change about 50% of the water every 2 or 3 days, and that's about it. There is both live and fake plants in the tank. There is some live Amazon Frogbit floating on the surface, and the vine is plastic. It came from Foster's and Smith.
    Darrell

Just goofing around over the weekend, I added some more wood on the bottom, a splash of Blackwater Extract, some floating plants, and hornwort from the local greenhouse nursery. Gives it a different look I think. Lousy pictures, but you get the idea....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Darrell

looks nice!

Registered Member

Nice Tank!!
    Could you told me how to fix up the wood on the top of the tank?

Quote Originally Posted by litlit View Post
    Nice Tank!!
    Could you told me how to fix up the wood on the top of the tank?
    Sure. Pieces of 1/4" thick hardwood were cut to fit on the rails of the tank's bracing (where the tops fit), and the driftwood was screwed to the hardwood strips. The strips are then simply hung on the tank braces. It's very easy.

Maybe these pics are a little better....
    Last edited by Darrell Ward; 04-26-2011 at 04:20 PM.
    Darrell

Very nice Darrell, looking sweet like the new setup, looks like they're in the river basin. I really like your heckels also but the greens aren't looking to bad either. I have greens growing out also hope they grow out well too. Keep up the good work and keep us updated on their progress................Jim in Ohio

Wow! I just threw a few green floating pond plants in the tank to contrast with the wood. Check it out, the plants are growing like crazy! Keep in mind the tank is 30" deep to give you an idea how big they are getting. They seem to thrive on sheer neglect with decent lighting, and you can easily move them around when doing tank maintenance, so no poop traps. Ain't exactly river correct, but still kinda fun...
    Last edited by Darrell Ward; 05-01-2011 at 02:51 PM.
    Darrell

couple more...
    Darrell

Very nice layout you have going there, I love the way you,ve laid it all out. Looks like they'll be very happy in their new home, are all the plants real and where did you get the floaters? Jim In Ohio

They all came from a lady who lives about 25 miles from me that runs a pond plant greenhouse/koi farm. She does sell online at www.bonniesplants.com Her name is Bonnie Hale. Very nice lady. I got frogbit, water lettuce, and hornwort from her. All are real.
    Last edited by Darrell Ward; 05-01-2011 at 03:31 PM.
    Darrell

Registered Member Northwoods Discus's Avatar

Very nice looking scape. One word of caution. If you use wood across the aquarium bracing make sure it is not tight fitting. Years ago I had wood across a tank and I do not remember what I was holding up but is swelled and pushed the front glass out that let go all of a sudden sending us scurrying for pots and pans to catch the water. We were in college living on a second floor. Oops.

Quote Originally Posted by Northwoods Discus View Post
    Very nice looking scape. One word of caution. If you use wood across the aquarium bracing make sure it is not tight fitting. Years ago I had wood across a tank and I do not remember what I was holding up but is swelled and pushed the front glass out that let go all of a sudden sending us scurrying for pots and pans to catch the water. We were in college living on a second floor. Oops.
    Wow! Not good. Thanks for the tip, that's definitely something to consider when doing such a project. Mine are just lying across the braces, so they can easily be removed if needed.
    Darrell

Your fish look really good. where did you get your wood at for the tank, those are some nice pieces.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast