AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Edible Greens For Wilds

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Edible Greens For Wilds

So what edible greens do you guys feed your wilds? Would just old plain green algae work?

Default Re: Edible Greens For Wilds

I doubt they would eat it. I've had a least a few wilds for over 10 years, growing out most of them. I know others may do it differently, but about the only plant matter mine have ever gotten was ingredients contained in prepared foods, like Hikari Discus Bio Gold. I've heard some people use squashed peas. Honestly, I tend to feed them mostly live foods. Perhaps live foods may kill the sterile, neon colored, man made "bubble fish", but live food seems totally natural to wilds, and they thrive on it. If you use a clean source, and keep their immune system up with clean water, there's nothing to fear.
    Darrell

Registered Member

I'm not feeeding any greens to my wilds and have no plans to. I don't think they have much, if any, plant matter to graze on in the wild. Mine go nuts for FDBW's and cardinal tetras .

Real Name
    Matt

I have no plans to feed any either, except whatever is in flakes.
    -Matt

[QUOTE=ExReefer;734763]I'm not feeeding any greens to my wilds and have no plans to. I don't think they have much, if any, plant matter to graze on in the wild. Mine go nuts for FDBW's and cardinal tetras .

... cardinal tetras...
    Darrell

Registered Member

I've tried using mushy peas, and spirilina flakes. Mine are not interested in either. I would like to introduce some veggie into their diet, just to promote regularity
    Darrell Ward have you noticed any issues at all with just feeding live foods? I would like to avoid constipation and/or bloating as much as possible.
    "An ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure"
    My fish.....I like to keep 'em in water

I don't only feed live, but a big part of the diet is live. No, never had any problems with either. My feeling is bloat and constipation come primarily from feeding too much dry food, which expands with water in the gut. I think probably the best way to feed them plant matter is in a dry food mix, but in moderation. I had success with Hikari Discus Bio Gold, and also Sera Discus Granules.
    Last edited by Darrell Ward; 02-28-2011 at 06:10 PM.
    Darrell

Real Name
    Pat

All my wilds are eating spirilina flakes. Seem to prefer it over the SBHF. Reason for me asking this I recall reading an technical article where a good percentage of the foods wild discus eat are vegetable based. Hence my question. My BH mix is 50% vegetable but am just curious what other folks do.

I put spinich in my beefheart mix. My wilds eat the same as my domestics.
    Larry Bugg

NADA - Vice President
    Atlanta Area Aquarium Association

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell Ward View Post
    I don't only feed live, but a big part of the diet is live. No, never had any problems with either. My feeling is bloat and constipation come primarily from feeding too much dry food, which expands with water in the gut. I think probably the best way to feed them plant matter is in a dry food mix, but in moderation. I had success with Hikari Discus Bio Gold, and also Sera Discus Granules.
    Thanks! I'll have to try a couple of these brands to see if they'll take any. Thus far only market shrimp, bloodworms, and cod.
    Second hand Pat, did you have to wait for the discus to be pretty hungry before they would take the Spirilina flake, or did they take to it immediately? I've read that wilds eat primarily different algae in the wild, mixed with bugs and such that fall into the water. Lack of veggies in my discus diets are becoming a bit of a concern for me. So any inside scoops on this would be great!

Real Name
    Pat

Cuchulainn, it took a while for them to accept the spirilina flake, same with the rest of the foods except FDBW. I found when I stopped worrying about them accepting other foods they start to accept them, go figure. I would suggest not feeding the bloodworms. Reason is the bloodworms are not great nutritionally and sets the discus up to refuse better foods. You also might consider making up one of the seafood mixes found here on the forum since they are eating cod and shrimp. You could add some spinich or collard greens. I have collard greens, carrots, peas, pears and apples in my BH mix.

...and do not forget the garlic.

Registered Member

I think I will be making a seafood mix with veggies and garlic
    Since I only have a blender, and will need to add a bit of liquid. Is using a 1/4 cup of water ok? Or is there something better one should use for liquid?
    Yah noticed they get kinda savage when I bring out the bloodworms, only feed them this maybe once a week usually. Thanks for the reply's.

Real Name
    Pat

With my BH mix I found no need to add additional liquid. I think you may find that the vegs will add the liquid either through cooking or washing. I did cook the carrots to soften them up. Eddie has a seafood mix posted here on the board if interested.

Registered Member

I don't want to turn this into a debate, but what's not nutritional about bloodworms? I agree they can become addicting, but they are still nutritional.

Registered Member

I noticed Eddies seafood mix, think its the one I'll try first. Carrots too hey...why not!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast