ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Edible Greens For Wilds

Default Re: Edible Greens For Wilds

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell Ward View Post
    A person could probably convince a healthy discus to eat many things if the fish were hungry enough.
    By the same token, couldn't a person love their pets to death by feeding them an unhealthy diet or one not ideally suited for them? If you offered a child ice cream or a salad, would the child go for the salad?

Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelsx2 View Post
    By the same token, couldn't a person love their pets to death by feeding them an unhealthy diet or one not ideally suited for them? If you offered a child ice cream or a salad, would the child go for the salad?
    It happens. People often keep plecos in the same tanks with discus. The pleco develops a taste for high protein discus food. Since some plecos cannot properly digest the discus food, in time, develops bloat and dies. The owner did not mean to kill the pleco by offering a diet not suited to the fish, but it happened anyway.
    Darrell

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell Ward View Post
    It happens. People often keep plecos in the same tanks with discus. The pleco develops a taste for high protein discus food. Since some plecos cannot properly digest the discus food, in time, develops bloat and dies. The owner did not mean to kill the pleco by offering a diet not suited to the fish, but it happened anyway.
    Yes, I was speaking from 1st hand experience, but not with a mixed discus/pleco tank. In my Panaque tank, I had numerous cases of bloat until I realized my Panaque were more interested live blackworm which I was trying to get to my cories, so now I only feed lbw after I've fed veggies they like so it limits their intake.

I was just making a case that just because the discus prefers a certain food does not mean it's best for them, nor natural.

Registered Member

about 50% of my homemade discus food mix is veg,lettuce ,oat,carrot,pumpkin,green beans,sweet corn and bananas,most are cooked,and churn to very fine paste.my discus love it.

edit:
    sorry,oat are grind then cooked.I don't know whether it's better to cook oat when making discus food.
    Last edited by wanderingfish; 03-05-2011 at 09:17 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123