AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: co2 tank. How long should it last?

Registered Member

Default co2 tank. How long should it last?

I have a 20 lb cylinder hooked up to a co2 regulator solenoid valve. It runs into a 180 gallon aquarium that is currently moderately planted with the plants growing at a nice rate and close to becoming heavily planted.

I've had the cylinder hooked up for 4-5 weeks. I am fairly certain that there is no leaks. I think I run around 1-1.5 bubbles per second. Not totally sure but just casually counting and looking at it in the past I think that is close.

The cylinder is showing signs of being empty or getting really close to it. I have to open up my regulator valve more and more. Currently I have it wide open and nothing has came out yet. I did this same thing yesterday morning and then the co2 started coming about 5-10 minutes after I fully opened it.

How long should a 20 lb cylinder last running into a 180 gal? Am I pumping too much co2 in or do I maybe have a bigger issue?

Thank you in advance.

Registered Member

Default Re: co2 tank. How long should it last?

Is it a dual stage regulator? If it is then one of the gauge should tell you the capacity of the tank. What make is the regulator? I have a 10 lb on a 125 gal with 2-3 bubbles/sec and it comes to a year. I think size of the fishtank doesn't matter. It is based on the bubbles per second.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyAPBTx View Post
    I have a 20 lb cylinder hooked up to a co2 regulator solenoid valve. It runs into a 180 gallon aquarium that is currently moderately planted with the plants growing at a nice rate and close to becoming heavily planted.

I've had the cylinder hooked up for 4-5 weeks. I am fairly certain that there is no leaks. I think I run around 1-1.5 bubbles per second. Not totally sure but just casually counting and looking at it in the past I think that is close.

The cylinder is showing signs of being empty or getting really close to it. I have to open up my regulator valve more and more. Currently I have it wide open and nothing has came out yet. I did this same thing yesterday morning and then the co2 started coming about 5-10 minutes after I fully opened it.

How long should a 20 lb cylinder last running into a 180 gal? Am I pumping too much co2 in or do I maybe have a bigger issue?

Thank you in advance.
    Did you put a perma-seal on the tank when you attached the regulator? A 20lb should last you a very long time unless you were dumping co into the tank unregulated. I used to have a 5lb on my 90 gal and it lasted me about 3 months. I replaced it with a 20lbs and it's still pretty full after 6-7 months.

You either have a leak cause you don't have a permaseal on or you have a leaking regulator.

Van

Registered Member

What is a permaseal? I have an aquatic life co2 regular with solenoid valve is about all I know, lol. I am not at home to check my box right now.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyAPBTx View Post
    What is a permaseal? I have an aquatic life co2 regular with solenoid valve is about all I know, lol. I am not at home to check my box right now.
    Some people uses plastic washer but this is what I use.

http://www.aquariumplants.com/Perma_...al_p/perm1.htm

Registered Member

Okay, I placed an order for that piece. I didn't have that and had never even heard of it. Thank you very much.

What exactly advantage does this give me? Thanks again.

You are supposed to have a plastic washer between the regulator and co2 tank. When you tighten the regulator, the washer gets crushed you are supposed to replace that each time. With permaseal, you don't need to replace it each time but it cost a bit more. Your local refilling place sell the permaseal as well. Just cost a bit more.

Van