ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: help with planted tank ..

Default help with planted tank ..

My wife has a planted 75 gallon tank and has had good luck growing her plants and keeping them healthy . Two weeks ago she did her water change as usual and added Prime , then as always addd excell, potasium and all the Flourish additives that she uses (she has always done the same mix) . She called me next day and told me most of the fish were dying gasping for air in the surface and most of them died . I figure she forgot to add the Prime (which I am guilty of having done once in a breeding tank) .
    well yesterday she was making a water change and she said as soon as she added all the plant conditioners the fish started swirling, darting to te surface , she called me and I told her to make a big inmidiate water change . She saved most of the remaining fish .
    Any ideas on this ?

thanks,
    Roberto.

Registered Member

Default Re: help with planted tank ..

Is she running CO2?

From my own experience when having fish and plants in the same tank is tricky I would go with the optimal conditions of the fish and not the plants, on my planted tank I never do more than a 20% water change had bad experiences when doing more than that, also is she vacuming the gravel?

What exactly did she add prior to the fish showing signs of distress?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Chad Hughes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Lenver, No CO2 and she has always done a 70 % water change and her plants have always done well . Chad , Seachem products , Flourish Excel, Flourish Potassium, Flourish Phosphorus and flourish Supplememnt .

Thanks,
    Roberto.

Registered Member

The only thing I can think of is that one of products became toxic.

One thing also that I found out on my side is that the hose that I was using at first seems to be also leaking something toxic into my tanks, always had my fish stressed out when i used it, are you using a hose or a buckets.

I change mine to a python and I'm doing my water changes very easy now.

I think the same thing about one of the products becoming toxic but wow ..not a good thing . The hoses she uses are the same used at the end to change water to save the fish so they are good . I believe it is a 25 feet Python .

Roberto.

Registered Member

If you are using a Python is your water coming directly from your local water supply or from an aged water reservoir? Sometimes there is a lot of pressurized O2 in the water depending on the season and your local water company's routine. During rainy (or snowy here in sunny sub freezing Ontario) weather, the water company may change their water treatment regimen. They may be injecting ozone into the water at high concentrations. Excessive amounts can kill fish very quickly.

Real Name
    Julian

If She save most of the fish after the immediate WC is not the water. If you want to be sure you can test the supplements they more likely are bad. Sometimes these products are store in ware houses for months or years getting high temperature in the summer and cold in winter before to go to your retailer. Also where you normally store them in your house? no near to heat source I assumed.

Real Name
    Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by alpine View Post
    My wife has a planted 75 gallon tank and has had good luck growing her plants and keeping them healthy . Two weeks ago she did her water change as usual and added Prime , then as always addd excell, potasium and all the Flourish additives that she uses (she has always done the same mix) . She called me next day and told me most of the fish were dying gasping for air in the surface and most of them died . I figure she forgot to add the Prime (which I am guilty of having done once in a breeding tank) .
    well yesterday she was making a water change and she said as soon as she added all the plant conditioners the fish started swirling, darting to te surface , she called me and I told her to make a big inmidiate water change . She saved most of the remaining fish .
    Any ideas on this ?

thanks,
    Roberto.
    I killed a good number of community fish by using those terrible liquid plant food products and never again - those things are pure posion for fish. I add my own liquid iron (and have a test kit), KI (as no salt from the food store) and Mg-sulfate (drug store.) I gave up on all solid ferts when my phosphate levels soared and that was one of their ingredients. My discus tank plants grow so large and often that they are driving me crazy (passive CO2 system and average light - sand bottom.)
    Knowledge is Fun(damental)

She has been using those Seachem products for a year and a half . By the way her five pandas died last night . I thought she had everything under control after the big water change . She has a bristlenose male and a Rummy nose left .

Roberto.

check the additives i think they have due dates on them, they don,t last too long if they are in a warm place, they will go out before the due date.
    simple ideas are the ones that works best
    "The only thing that breeds true in humanity, is Stupidity"

Registered Member

Sorry to hear about that

Quote Originally Posted by alpine View Post
    She has been using those Seachem products for a year and a half . By the way her five pandas died last night . I thought she had everything under control after the big water change . She has a bristlenose male and a Rummy nose left .

Roberto.

Real Name
    David

why don't you go dry ferts it's alot safer and costs about a 1/10 of the price of the liquad stuff and stay's fresh if you keep moisture out of the bag, and nothing goes toxic. But are you using any fert method like PMDD or EI method's they encourage the Dry ferts or are you just using the instuction on the back of the bottle? But sorry to hear about the loss maybe your excell has somthing to do with it was the chemical completely dissolved in the bottle you might of picked up some undissolved crystals of the chemical and dosed higher without knowing just a thought and does Excell turn into a more toxic form if left too long this could be another question too to ask but good luck and hope the rest of the fish do well from now on.

Thanks to all that replied . I wil be asking you all some questions later on. At the present she has settled the tank and the Lone survivor ( the rummy nose ) is having a ball having the tank for himself .

Roberto.