Default My Mixed Reef

OK so here goes:

75gal non-drilled AGA tank
    2 vortech MP10 for circulation
    ATI 6 bulb t5 fixture
    AQ home made fuge with cheato and live rock rubble
    80 lbs of fiji live rock
    very thin layer of sand jus for visual effect

no sump, no skimmer, no filter other than a small aqua clear with carbon and the live rock itself.

Extremely over stocked tank with assorted soft corals, LPS and SPS. A hyppo tang, a desjardini tang, a coperband butterfly, 3 pajama cardinals, 1 goldstriped marrom clown, 3 false percs, 1 red scooter blenny, 1 algae blenny, 1 spotted blenny.

As with everything in my fish/aquarium history, this set-up is very unusual and by all standars and common knowledge should not work but it does, and very well! Everything grows and multiplies. I don't dose, and I feed daily...the only reason it all works is water changes, every week, 20gal a week.

Enjoy!

Rodrigo

Default Re: My Mixed Reef

Very nice Rodrigo!

You might have to give me some classes on keeping a reef tank with such ease pretty soon. Lol

Thanks for sharing

Very nice, I especially like the copperband butterflyfish, it's one of my favorite of the butterflyfish family. You must enjoy your time at home, you got discus fish (FW) and your got a reef tank, how amazing.
    【DiscusKev (Kevin) says:】
    Check out my Youtube videos
    Like my videos? 'SUBSCRIBE' ➜ www.YouTube.com/DiscusKev

Thanks guys! Coperband is a challenge in the begining, now it's even eating flakes!

The only secret for the reef is the same as with discus...water changes! Or you can spend a lot of money on filters and additives! Your choice!

Rodrigo

Makes me miss my reef tanks. What's the blue encrusting soft coral called? I don't remember ever seeing anything like that offered back when I was reefing. It looks nice.
    Do you feed any live foods to the corals? bbs, rotifers etc?
    Kacey

Hey Rod,

Watcha think of the Mandarin Dragonet Fish? It's relatively affordable and striking in appearance, though many says that it takes awhile to adjust...

May I know your water parameter?

cheers,
    【DiscusKev (Kevin) says:】
    Check out my Youtube videos
    Like my videos? 'SUBSCRIBE' ➜ www.YouTube.com/DiscusKev

Thanks guys!

The blue coral is a species of Xenia, it is very easy to keep, grows like a weed but is non-agressive, meaning it will not kill other corals, they look like miniature polyps, great for open pieces of live rock.

I feed no live foods to my tank, I do feed a lot of frozen foods. The only live food I feed my corals is blackworms when I get them. SInce they are freshwater animals, there is no risk of disease passing to the fish or corals.

The mandarim dragonet is now being bred in captivity by ORA, much easier to keep and feed since they com ealready used to frozen foods and will take readely to life in the tank. A established tank with a thriving population of copepods is a must for wild madarins. Given time, they will get used to frozen foods as well. My mandarim died of old age...it survived a move from one state to another, and a trip up a aquaclear intake tube!!!

Rodrigo

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and MVP Nov.2015 Disgirl's Avatar

That's a very beautiful reef tank Rod! Looks as good as the reef tank at the aquarium where I work, and that is saying something since that tank is my favorite in the whole building.
    Barb

Delightful Designs Discus Cones by Barb -- Check out my Sponsor section --HERE--!

Real Name
    chandan sarkar

how do you keep the two tangs from fighting?

really impressive tank.

Quote Originally Posted by roclement View Post
    The blue coral is a species of Xenia, it is very easy to keep
    Blue Xenia, or other Xenia for that matter, don't always work for everyone. Clearly a weed in your tank!

Word on the street is the "TANG police" is watching you Rod!
    When science and magic collide, the story begins.

Bring on the Tang police! I was the president of my reef club and hosted meetings in my house and you would be amazed how many people get mad that...I have to many fish, I don't have a filter, I have no skimmer, and I use only MP10's for circulation...certainly won't work and everything will die!!! Well everything is still alive and well! Just like Discus, it's all about what works for you and water changes!

Tangs were both introduced very young and at the same time, the color pattern and shape is veery different so they behave. I also provide them with a full open water tank for swimming so it's plenty of area for them to grow and be happy! Now in another year they will have to be moved.

Xenia of any kind seem to like water with a lot of dissolved orgaincs and thrive in water that is less than perfect. People that run any of the bacteria driven tanks like "neo-zeo", dose vodka, etc seem to have problems with xenia. Since I don't do that and have no skimmer, they do very well for me and pay me back by "filtering" the tank of dissolved organics. Some people run whole sumps with xenia as a filtration method! I'll try that someday!

Barb, thanks! That's high praise for my simple little tank!!!

Rodrigo

I ran my tanks with no filtration also, though I did have a large skimmer. Doesn't that butterfly pick at the coral frags and other corals in your tank? I never tried butterfly's for that reason.
    Kacey

Quote Originally Posted by roclement View Post
    Bring on the Tang police! I was the president of my reef club and hosted meetings in my house and you would be amazed how many people get mad that...I have to many fish, I don't have a filter, I have no skimmer, and I use only MP10's for circulation...certainly won't work and everything will die!!! Well everything is still alive and well! Just like Discus, it's all about what works for you and water changes!

Tangs were both introduced very young and at the same time, the color pattern and shape is veery different so they behave. I also provide them with a full open water tank for swimming so it's plenty of area for them to grow and be happy! Now in another year they will have to be moved.

Xenia of any kind seem to like water with a lot of dissolved orgaincs and thrive in water that is less than perfect. People that run any of the bacteria driven tanks like "neo-zeo", dose vodka, etc seem to have problems with xenia. Since I don't do that and have no skimmer, they do very well for me and pay me back by "filtering" the tank of dissolved organics. Some people run whole sumps with xenia as a filtration method! I'll try that someday!

Barb, thanks! That's high praise for my simple little tank!!!

Rodrigo
    LOL, I was just kidding about the tang police Rod. I know what you mean with to people getting mad regarding stocking. If it's healthy and thriving stressful environment for the entire lifetime of the fish then it's OK.

I know these methods work, no need to defend them. In my eyes nothing can replace water changes.
    When science and magic collide, the story begins.

Rod did you ever think about getting a BTA for the clowns? I know they dont naturaly go in them with there instinct but my percs love my rose BTA.

Had one and they loved it but it died in a unfortunate impeller accident and almost took my tank with it!!! I since vowed off anemones untill last night when I got this beautiful green carpet that is now in my tank!! Now let's see who wins the battle over the anemone!

Rodrigo

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast