ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Captive Breed Heckels???

Default Re: Captive Breed Heckels???

Please hook me up with whoever is breeding captive Heckel's.....I've my doubts.
    The meek shall inherit the earth. The oceans are for the brave.

Quote Originally Posted by Sameen View Post
    PLease dont get me wrong, i am pretty sure my Heckel is domestic. I would be proud if it was wild. It cost me 95 canadian dollars. And all the other heckels in that tank were same size and color. And i am 100% sure its domestic. Here in the forum a lot of people breed heckels at home too
    I saw the video the first day it was posted. That's not what I'm referring to...the above post is. I don't know anyone on this forum or in the U.S.

Registered Member

Captive bred Heckels are selling currently at Sunrise Tropical or MrDiscus, not sure if they are crosses or pure Heckels.

Cliff

well, I'll be damn'd..there's plenty of people crossing them, or so it seems, but I'll be interested in seeing any true Heckel's....I've got crosses, and I've got Heckel's, but...I'll bet a five spot Tony's are a cross; don't know 'mrDiscus'...currently waiting on a friend's PEXHeckel's to get big enough to travel...

Quote Originally Posted by Sameen View Post
    PLease dont get me wrong, i am pretty sure my Heckel is domestic. I would be proud if it was wild. It cost me 95 canadian dollars. And all the other heckels in that tank were same size and color. And i am 100% sure its domestic. Here in the forum a lot of people breed heckels at home too
    I don't mean to dispute but saying a lot of people breed heckels at home is incorrect unless you are talking about a male heckle to either a wild blue or green or a male heckel to a domestic discus. It is very well known that breeding heckel x heckel has been next to impossible. Besides Schmidt-focke and the new guy in Poland the only other confirmed case that I am aware of is Dale Jordan. His was documented back in the 80's or 90's I believe. I have a male heckel that I have breed with a female wild blue and a lot of people have done that. The issue has always been getting a wild female heckel to breed.
    Larry Bugg

NADA - Vice President
    Atlanta Area Aquarium Association

Vlam breeds wild Heckles he has tanks full of them LOL J/K Van
    Dave Z!
    NADA MEMBER
    Visit my homesteader page http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumd...hiladelphia-PA

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bugman View Post
    . Besides Schmidt-focke and the new guy in Poland the only other confirmed case that I am aware of is Dale Jordan. documentedback in the 80's or 90's I believe. I have a male heckel that I have breed with a female wild blue and a lot of people have done that. The issue has always been getting a wild female heckel to breed.
    I think Eddy Schmidt's Heckel's were also crosses which were sold by Aquarium Rio under the name Schmidth Focke's number 4 crosses this was back in the 80's. Dollman has spawn the wild Heckel(probably artifically) in the U.S. another Herman Chan back in the 60's spawn the Wild Heckel too, the rest of his Heckels
    were crosses with the green and royal blue (know at that time RedBlue). Later Bing Seto's named his Discus Bing's Colbalt, this was the same
    Discus that Herman Chan(Fairly Lake Discus) had in the early 70 before being wiped out with the Discus Plague the 80's.

Cliff
    Last edited by CliffsDiscus; 04-07-2011 at 04:41 PM.

Registered Member moon_knight1971's Avatar

Tony from Sunrise Tropicals/Mrdiscus has some captive bred babies if anyone is interested.

Well Moon, Tony wouldn't have to sell on a street corner if those were true Heckel's....I'll get back to the Bay Area one of these days (I was there this week last year, but it was for a funeral)....and I'll get face to face with Tony again..soggy memory on his part, memory like a steel jawed trap on my part...I still remember vividly when he was yet to own a Discus fish....

I think what I'm going to do is this and I've been pondering this for awhile. Once I start seeing pairing behavior between my Red Tefe's I got from Han's or even my Tefe Greens I got from John, I'm going to try it. I'll buy the best Heckel Male I can find and see if I can't get some of my own, now Al there's a discus challenge to maybe consider down the road. Get some people from here to commit on trying to breed some domestic Heckel's for a Simply Auction? Jim in Ohio

Registered Member

The late Don Handley from New Zealand successfully bred wild caught Heckels and Cardinal Tetras back in the 80's. Jack Wattley visited him and bought his Heckels back to Florida but was unable to breed them. Jack wrote about him in one of his books.
    I was lucky enough to buy all his stock of Jack's Turquoise before he retired and moved to Australia in the 90's.

Aequifasciatus
    There are fish...there are beautiful fish... then there are discusfish

Registered Member moon_knight1971's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TURQ64 View Post
    Well Moon, Tony wouldn't have to sell on a street corner if those were true Heckel's....I'll get back to the Bay Area one of these days (I was there this week last year, but it was for a funeral)....and I'll get face to face with Tony again..soggy memory on his part, memory like a steel jawed trap on my part...I still remember vividly when he was yet to own a Discus fish....
    Think Tony gets a very limited supply? I bought 1 Snow Leopard from him on Sunday and by Monday his website said he was sold out. I called him up and he said he had 2 left but the buyer never came so I bought another 1. I don't think he's actual got more than a dozen of any fish at any time nowadays as he tries to get new stock every 4 - 6 weeks.

I don't know what he does, not being in the Bay Area since my retirement, but true captive bred Heckel Discus is kind of like the 'Holy Grail', so that Tony is the one would makes me skeptical.. As for crosses, they happen, as stated, but by and large it's always a male Heckel spawning with something....How'd the auction go last week,BTW?

Registered Member Discus Origins's Avatar

Here's the deal, if anyone has documented proof of true Heckel x Heckel breeding from eggs to raising young in the past 15 years please post the source link. Otherwise it's all hearsay and rumor, because the accomplishment is a HUGE deal and no one in their right mind would keep it a 'secret'. Why is Andrej of Poland world famous right now? He's the only one with documented proof of F1 Heckel young!!

I love hearing things like 'this place has them, he was selling them, etc' because when you call that source, somehow either the fish mysteriously vanished or they sold out yet they can't tell you who they sold their F1 Heckels to!

I've been trying to get Heckels to do something since 1991, I haven't even come close
    to getting a 'pair' to even act like one. Yet I have bred all strains of discus most recent being Cuipeaus. I know how difficult and frustrating heckels can be and I've tried all
    the tricks I know. I've spoken to Dale many times, and I can say that just getting a
    female Heckel to lay eggs is a miracle.

I wish someone would break this spell in the US so maybe others can try their hands at F1s and eventually produce tank bred Heckels on a routine basis.

Mark
    Last edited by Discus Origins; 04-07-2011 at 10:42 PM. Reason: Spelling

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast