AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Captive Breed Heckels???

Registered Member roundfishross's Avatar

Default Re: Captive Breed Heckels???

Quote Originally Posted by m3h3c3 View Post
    Here's the deal, if anyone has documented proof of true Heckel x Heckel breeding from eggs to raising young in the past 15 years please post the source link. Otherwise it's all hearsay and rumor, because the accomplishment is a HUGE deal and no one in their right mind would keep it a 'secret'. Why is Andrej of Poland world famous right now? He's the only one with documented proof of F1 Heckel young!!

I love hearing things like 'this place has them, he was selling them, etc' because when you call that source, somehow either the fish mysteriously vanished or they sold out yet they can't tell you who they sold their F1 Heckels to!

I've been trying to get Heckels to do something since 1991, I haven't even come close
    to getting a 'pair' to even act like one. Yet I have bred all strains of discus most recent being Cuipeaus. I know how difficult and frustrating heckels can be and I've tried all
    the tricks I know. I've spoken to Dale many times, and I can say that just getting a
    female Heckel to lay eggs is a miracle.

I wish someone would break this spell in the US so maybe others can try their hands at F1s and eventually produce tank bred Heckels on a routine basis.

Mark
    I have already posred the link earlier in this thread it is a true doccumented cased the only current one I know of. Tony has been selling crosses for about a year and a half these are not true h x h

Registered Member Discus Origins's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by roundfishross View Post
    I have already posred the link earlier in this thread it is a true doccumented cased the only current one I know of. Tony has been selling crosses for about a year and a half these are not true h x h
    I know Ross, that link is of Andrej in Poland the same person I mentioned. Heckel crosses way more common, and F2s lose the middle stripe. To me they are nothing to get too excited about.

Registered Member moon_knight1971's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TURQ64 View Post
    I don't know what he does, not being in the Bay Area since my retirement, but true captive bred Heckel Discus is kind of like the 'Holy Grail', so that Tony is the one would makes me skeptical.. As for crosses, they happen, as stated, but by and large it's always a male Heckel spawning with something....How'd the auction go last week,BTW?
    Had a hard time finding the building (took 40 mins!) so I missed the 1st half hour but I was overall slightly disappointed in what was being auctioned. Most of it was Red Crystal Shrimp, Bettas, several baby Angelfish and plants. There were several equiptment auctions so I scored a 36 light fixture for $15 and some lights for $2. I'll give it a couple more tries since it is for a good cause. I asked one of the organizers if they ever have discus and was told it's been a while...

As far as I know no one recent has done so, at least without proof. Heiko verifies Schmidt-focke did it 30 yrs ago but no one since. Anyone who does now can claim to be a rock star!
    I can't access it from work, but Sunrise Tropical is selling F1 or F2 Heckels on Aquabid... I e-mailed him asking which generation it was but he said he didn't know.

Here is his response, "These are tank raised as the auction states, bred by world champion breeder Tan Chee Lok. I did not ask the breeder if they are F1 or F2."

--------------------

Item number : 1302722480
    Item Title : 6 baby Heckel discus - FREE SHIP
    URL Here : http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...cus&1302722480

---------------------------------

What do you think of this sale? I was considering it, but decided against it only because the seller didn't know what I think should be a simple fact about his product.
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by ericatdallas View Post
    I can't access it from work, but Sunrise Tropical is selling F1 or F2 Heckels on Aquabid... I e-mailed him asking which generation it was but he said he didn't know.

Here is his response, "These are tank raised as the auction states, bred by world champion breeder Tan Chee Lok. I did not ask the breeder if they are F1 or F2."

--------------------

Item number : 1302722480
    Item Title : 6 baby Heckel discus - FREE SHIP
    URL Here : http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...cus&1302722480

---------------------------------

What do you think of this sale? I was considering it, but decided against it only because the seller didn't know what I think should be a simple fact about his product.
    the fish in this link do not appear to be hekels to me. I see no bold 5th bar and they appear to be spotting like a leopard.

the fish in this link do not appear to be hekels to me. I see no bold 5th bar and they appear to be spotting like a leopard.
    I guess even better that I didn't bite I didn't think they looked like it either because I stared at those pictures for a while and Google'd images. I'm not really experienced at identifying discus though so I figured my inability to distinguish them was due to my untrained eye.
    Eric

Leo, you've never heard of the RARE red spotted Heckel...............

I would agree with Leo. Maybe they are a heckel cross but not heckel x heckel. I emailed the seller on aquabid. I believe that is false advertising.
    Last edited by Larry Bugg; 04-12-2011 at 04:15 PM.
    Larry Bugg

NADA - Vice President
    Atlanta Area Aquarium Association

Quote Originally Posted by Bugman View Post
    Leo, you've never heard of the RARE red spotted Heckel...............

I would agree with Leo. Maybe they are a heckel cross but not heckel x heckel.
    Larry I dont even think cross unless f2 and have lost center bar

Larry I dont even think cross unless f2 and have lost center bar
    All heckel crosses will not necessarily have the center bar. Roger had a heckel x wild blue and the juvies had no center bar. I now have that pair. They had one very small spawn for me and I lost all the fry before they got very big but again no center bar was evident. I am hoping they will spawn again.
    Larry Bugg

NADA - Vice President
    Atlanta Area Aquarium Association

Quote Originally Posted by ericatdallas View Post

Like previously stated, most likely a Heckel cross. If it was true heckelxheckel do you think the world champion breeder wouldn't have had a press conference??

Mark

Registered Member

Here's the deal, if anyone has documented proof of true Heckel x Heckel breeding from eggs to raising young in the past 15 years please post the source link. Otherwise it's all hearsay and rumor, because the accomplishment is a HUGE deal and no one in their right mind would keep it a 'secret'. Why is Andrej of Poland world famous right now? He's the only one with documented proof of F1 Heckel young!!

I love hearing things like 'this place has them, he was selling them, etc' because when you call that source, somehow either the fish mysteriously vanished or they sold out yet they can't tell you who they sold their F1 Heckels to!

I've been trying to get Heckels to do something since 1991, I haven't even come close
    to getting a 'pair' to even act like one. Yet I have bred all strains of discus most recent being Cuipeaus. I know how difficult and frustrating heckels can be and I've tried all
    the tricks I know. I've spoken to Dale many times, and I can say that just getting a
    female Heckel to lay eggs is a miracle.

I wish someone would break this spell in the US so maybe others can try their hands at F1s and eventually produce tank bred Heckels on a routine basis.

Mark
    I have read long time ago in some discus book, that asians bred wild heckel x heckel in hundreds, but they couldn't find buyers for them, so they stoped.
    Jeffrey Tan and Andrew Soh told me the same.
    Barbara
    member of the Polish Club of Discus Lovers (PKMD)

Registered Member damian_ireland's Avatar

I am currently of the opinion that ANdrej in Poland(http://www.superdiscus.pl/heckel.html) has breed them. Just wondering if anyone else has kept Heckels at this low pH ?

You are correct to assume so, that has been confirmed by earlier posts in this thread. I keep my Heckels at 4.0-4.2, I havent found a way to get the ph any lower without adding chemicals. Anyone kept ph below 4 naturally?
    Mark

Back in the 80's I had a pair of Heckels that spawned. I am not quite sure if they were a pair or two females. They eggs did not hatch and in a couple of days were eaten. The ph of the water was 4.0. I was experimenting with the water by adding acid. The spawing was a pure fluke. I neglected the tank for a couple of weeks and the water was quite dirty.
    It was a one time thing. I gave the pair to a buudy of mine. Bob is a well known discus keeper locally and i thought he might be able to get them to spawn. They never did.

Moon, that's awesome you got heckels to lay eggs...it's was a nice surprise! This guy in Poland is actually raising F 1 heckels and it's documented. I don't think anyone else currently can claim the same feat.
    Mark

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast