AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Captive Breed Heckels???

Registered Member John_Nicholson's Avatar

Default Re: Captive Breed Heckels???

Dennis Hardenburger also bred them many, many years ago. I was at his place 10 years or so ago and saw the pictures. He used a 40 gallon breeder and had almost pure RO water in it. It was so soft that he would come home from work at lunch to do an extra water change. If he did not the Ph would crash. He only did it once. Said it was not worth the effort.

-john
    Please check out http://forum.discusnada.org/

SOS Crew Texas

Andre's documented accounts of breeding Heckels is the most credible of any I have come across in many years. Having seen most of his youtube videos I am completely convinced of his successful accomplishments.
    I have a feeling that F1 Heckels are probably going to be nearly as difficult to breed as wild fish but not quite as difficult. Still likely to prove that very few who manage to obtain any of Andre's F1's will be successful but only because I think F1 is too soon to gain any domesticated traits. They should be parasite free and I think that is one thing which will make it easier to get the F1 females into breeding condition.
    I think we are still many years away from establishing some purebred, tank raised aquarium strains of Heckels but at least we have seen some progress thanks to Andre's success and adequate documentation.
    It is not too difficult to maintain a pH of 4.0 in nearly pure RO water. It is hard to reach 4.0 without using Muriatic acid and I really do not think there is any need to try to keep the pH below 4.0.
    By most standards if the pH is as low as 4.0 that would be difficult to lower any further without using more Muriatic acid. Once the pH is at 4.0 it won't crash to a lower pH by any natural means I am aware of.

I have found the statements that Heckels are not bred commercially because there is no market for them an incredulous assertion.
    The comments in posts about Heckels I have seen on the Singapore based aquarium forum, www.aquaticquotient.com indicates a considerable interest in keeping and breeding Heckel Discus.
    They are always very excited about whenever some wild caught Heckels become available in the area and they seem to want to breed or buy tank raised Heckels as badly as North American wild type Discus lovers.
    I started a topic asking about the availability of Tan's TR Altum Angels and found that they were not being made available but there are many hobbyists already thrilled to be able to get any wild caught Altum Angelfish which manage to make it to Singapore. It parallels in many ways the Heckel's popularity in SE Asia.
    So to say there is no market for TR Heckels sounds like a hollow claim to me. It sounds more like a flimsy excuse to cover the lack of success the SE Asian breeders have had with Heckel breeding that those in the rest of the world experience.

Vlam breeding Heckels doesn't ring true to me. Vlam has been one of my Pleco customers and he knows how interested I am in breeding all species of wild Discus. We have traded e-mails having to do with breeding plecos but he has never once mentioned that he has bred or is breeding Heckel Discus to me in any of our conversations.
    In fact, that he is breeding any wild Discus has never come up in our e-mail conversations.
    Last edited by Apistomaster; 05-19-2011 at 05:03 PM.
    Larry Waybright

From these very pages of the forum we have a perfect example of the enthusiasm that SE Asian hobbyists have for Heckel Discus and Altum Angels.
    This is far from being an isolated case in support of the claims I have made in my above previous post.
    http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth....-.-.-Thailand
    Larry Waybright

Registered Member

Hi Sameen, you said that, the breeder had to wait for 1 year for the wild to eat and breed??? Is it possible to a discus to stay without eating for 1 year?

Real Name
    Fred

With all this I'm really thinking of starting my Heckel Project back.

I kept heckels for 6 months several years ago and sold them when I got out of the hobby. Now that I'm back I got the urge to do it again.

Whats really puzzling me and I've search a little the heckel project about this, is why do the females are reluctant to breed. I find it intriging that Males will breed, but not females.

Cheers,

Fred

Registered Member roundfishross's Avatar

it sorta mimics human life. they are very picky
    Leo ross , aka "roundfishross"
    "revolution occurs when the victims cease to cooperate"

Quote Originally Posted by jawfish View Post
    With all this I'm really thinking of starting my Heckel Project back.

I kept heckels for 6 months several years ago and sold them when I got out of the hobby. Now that I'm back I got the urge to do it again.

Whats really puzzling me and I've search a little the heckel project about this, is why do the females are reluctant to breed. I find it intriging that Males will breed, but not females.

Cheers,

Fred
    Just speculating, but maybe heckels only breed where they're hatched. This may not apply to the males as long as there are eggs to fertilize. The few breeding reports may be more the exception than the rule. So people are trying to recreate the wrong parameters. The fish may be looking at other ques other than pH, hardness, etc. There may be something that's harder to characterize such as certain scents trigger different memories for humans.
    Eric

I would say its more likely the cause of people getting heckles and meeting thier proper water parameters and then trying to recreate the proper spawning conditions its very time consuming and mostget frustrated and loose interest, Andrzej Nowicki has succesfully spawned Wild Heckles in poland look him up on facebook he has it all documented.Most people give up.And Suichi Wantanabe has some serious Heckle Crosses available in Japan which are killer.Not to mention Lucky Tropical Lawrence Soon has also a nice variety of Heckle crosses.It would be a neat contest of sorts to try and sucessfully breed wild Heckles or Even a Killer cross between a wild heckle and a Classic Turq.
    JMO I love Heckles as many of us do and right now I dont have the time but I would like to try if anyone is interested in it.Also I remember Al having a huge tank full of Heckles from Hans I wonder whats going on in that tank..........
    Dave Z!
    NADA MEMBER
    Visit my homesteader page http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumd...hiladelphia-PA

I don't think the crosses are the issue.

I also would suspect something other than -exacting- water parameters for pure heckels because nature is very dynamic and any organism that is too rigid is setting itself up for extinction. That's not to say it's not the case, but it really throws a wrench in the theory that adaptatation is a driving factor for evolution.
    Eric

Registered Member damian_ireland's Avatar

I would have to agree with Eric on this. I remember reading an article on someone trying to breed Retroculus xinguensis and was having major problem. he then added small little pebbles to the tank and away they spawned..
    My gut feeling on Heckle is that it is something to do with diet. I dont think it is water parameters as too many good people have failed.

Quote Originally Posted by ericatdallas View Post
    I don't think the crosses are the issue.

I also would suspect something other than -exacting- water parameters for pure heckels because nature is very dynamic and any organism that is too rigid is setting itself up for extinction. That's not to say it's not the case, but it really throws a wrench in the theory that adaptatation is a driving factor for evolution.

A change of diet might be wort considering. I recall reading in Heiko's book that wild discus do eat fruits and seeds.

Registered Member

try adding coffee brandy it seams to work around here. jeff.

Is it coffee with brandy or brandy flavoured coffee?

Registered Member

brandy flavored coffee

Registered Member roundfishross's Avatar

allens coffee brandy. the official trailor park drink of Maine....lol
    Leo ross , aka "roundfishross"
    "revolution occurs when the victims cease to cooperate"

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast