ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: going on vacation...concern about water changes!

Post going on vacation...concern about water changes!

Well, I've finally taken a leap and I'm going on vacation next month...but, only for 1 week! My wife has convinced me to go on a vacation with her, and I told her that I think I could manage to leave my precious discus on their own for just a week. I figured I could manage their feeding with an automatic feeder, but I'm concerned about the water changes...I'm in the habit of changing about 35-40% every 2-3 days.

Initially, I was thinking that I'd some thorough water changes in the days before I go, just to leave the discus with super-clean water when I go. But then, my wife suggested that I should probably do the opposite and sort of prepare the discus for the week of the trip by not doing the regular water changes, and get them ready for a whole week without the water changes. Thinking about it, it sort of makes sense...but then, looking around my own house, I have to wonder if it's not really an idea that she hasn't already put to practice!

I know that I could always arrange for someone to come by and manage to change out some water for me, but I'm afraid they might screw something up! Anyway, just wanted to get some expert opinions about what might work out best for the discus without 1 week of water changes, and how I should prepare them and mainly myself for it.

Thanks!

Registered Member

Default Re: going on vacation...concern about water changes!

i dont feed my fish when i go on vacation. keeps the water cleaner. i usually do a 80-90% water change on my tanks before i leave. they are fine and hungry when i get home. i consider it a vacation from doing water changes and dont worry about them one bit.

do wc often before you go and a night before you go do 100% wc that will work, feed them or not is only a week , have fun
    Henry
    Back to Discus grin:

Registered Member Keith Perkins's Avatar
    Real Name
    CozyKeith

It really depends on what age your discus are as to what you're going to want to. Young juveniles that are growing rapidly IMO should somehow be fed and WCs done, adults on the other hand are much easier to deal with and hopefully what you have. Adults should be fed up to about 24 before you go. A huge WC should be done as soon to the time before you're leaving as is practical. A lamp or something should be set up on a timer to simulate your normal tank lights on lights off routine. Do not feed the fish at all while you're gone and simply feed them and do another good WC when you return. Healthy adults can easily go a week or two without food, and do it often in the wild. Without food the fish produce minimal amounts of waste and there's no leftover food to pollute the tank.

Take your vacation and enjoy.
    President - North American Discus Association

I don't feed my fish, leave the lights off and go on my vacation. I have gone on 1 week vacation many many times and when I come back, no issues.

Yun-

- 265G Wild Discus Community
    - 90G African Cichlids
    - 56G Reef
    - 20G, 20G, 29G Community
    - 20G, 26G, 36G empty

Whatever you do, do not stop on the water changes to prepare for it... then you're just double exposing them to the nasty water. You're better off with leaving a super-clean tank the day before you leave and then clean it again on the same day you leave. They'll be fine that way.

Also, don't feed them the day before you leave. They're fish... they'll make it without food for a day.

BTW, I didn't clean my fish tank for 3.5 days and I ended up with Ammonia readings of 2ppm and nitrates of 10ppm. That was with the usual feedings, so it can build up fast. Just done feed. If you insist on doing it, try to set your feeder to feed maybe every couple of days instead...
    Eric

Registered Member Keith Perkins's Avatar
    Real Name
    CozyKeith

Quote Originally Posted by ericatdallas View Post
    Whatever you do, do not stop on the water changes to prepare for it... then you're just double exposing them to the nasty water. You're better off with leaving a super-clean tank the day before you leave and then clean it again on the same day you leave. They'll be fine that way.

Also, don't feed them the day before you leave. They're fish... they'll make it without food for a day.

BTW, I didn't clean my fish tank for 3.5 days and I ended up with Ammonia readings of 2ppm and nitrates of 10ppm. That was with the usual feedings, so it can build up fast. Just done feed. If you insist on doing it, try to set your feeder to feed maybe every couple of days instead...
    No, just don't don't do it! You're being too nice Eric.
    President - North American Discus Association

Make sure you kh is sufficient to buffer your ph. Ph crash while you're gone would suck.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Well, I have to say Thanks for all the encouraging words and advice! I'm already feeling guilty about NOT having done any water change this week...ammonia is now just a trace at 0.25 ppm and nitrate seems somewhat uncomfortable at 20-40 ppm. I'm gonna be doing a good thorough water change TOMORROW, and get back to the usual routine until I leave for the vacation trip next month. Then, I guess I'll just do some thorough cleaning and water changes before I go and leave them with minimal automated feeding for the week that I'm away. The discus are currently 6" adults, so that's also reassuring that they'll be fine...though when I first got them in Dec. 2009, they were only half-dollar size, so I still consider them my babies!

Registered Member

Just give them clean water the night before you leave and go. Don't worry about feeding them...even juveniles. They will catch up. The show-quality fish will still be show quality and the stunted fish will still be stunted. In the long scheme of things a good vacation and a happy family are much more important.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    Make sure you kh is sufficient to buffer your ph. Ph crash while you're gone would suck.

Hey Eddie...what an honor to hear from you, most especially with all that's going on over there in Japan! It was good to hear that you are fine...and truly sorry to hear the news about the disaster that occurred. Thanks for weighing in with your advice.

Anytime Joe! All is good for us here on Okinawa. Wish it was the same for mainland.

Visit Eddie's Place

Registered Member

i wouldnt be too worried about it, im more worried about me taking my vacation this summer... 5 weeks in europe. im leaving my discus with my parents and i need to teach my dad how to do water changes properly and how to feed them and what to feed them when lol. im the one whos gonna be worried.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishish View Post
    i wouldnt be too worried about it, im more worried about me taking my vacation this summer... 5 weeks in europe. im leaving my discus with my parents and i need to teach my dad how to do water changes properly and how to feed them and what to feed them when lol. im the one whos gonna be worried.
    They'll be fine unless dad messes something up. I've gone 4 weeks without food or water changes but it's not something I'd advise or ever do again. Lol

Visit Eddie's Place

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    They'll be fine unless dad messes something up. I've gone 4 weeks without food or water changes but it's not something I'd advise or ever do again. Lol

yea, lol, by the time i leave i want to see him do the water change by himself lol and i even bought 2 different pellets to see if the discus will eat them so it will be easier for him to feed them just in case. he can feed them blood worms its beef heart that he needs to grind a little because my discus are still fairly small and cant take in big chunks of food yet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast