AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Poor me.

Registered Member Keith Perkins's Avatar
    Real Name
    CozyKeith

Unhappy Poor me.

Poor me, it's heart making day tomorrow. Ain't made the stuff exactly the same twice. Always one well trimmed heart, 1 14 oz bag of raw frozen shrimp, 1/2 serving COOKED oatmeal, 7 ground A to Zinc vitamins. Tomorrow a can of spinach, a banana (never done this before, but I see 2 ripe ones on the counter), a couple two three cloves of garlic, a cup or so of tetra flakes. Now I've got a bunch of frozen blood worms my fish aren't really into so that might go in there. And there's the CRAP beefheart I bought at the LFS to hold me over to this weekend, that's going in to. It'll add a little moisture back.
    Last edited by Keith Perkins; 03-13-2011 at 10:31 AM. Reason: Corrected oatmeal quantity
    President - North American Discus Association

Default Re: Poor me.

you sound very enthused!

hmm suck it up Keith, and while ur at it, make me a batch too!
    Jennie,

Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten

Real Name
    CozyKeith

Well I will be making a double batch. I never make less than two, and often three batches at a time. This time the quantity is based on the fact I was given about 2 1/2 hearts worth, I think. Either that or it's 1 2/3. I've got 5 packages of pieces of heart. If they're like they were last time, cut into 3 is all that's been done. The guy who gave them to me got them from his parents that have a small farm and raise a few head. No one up where they live wants them. So it's the Today Show and then HGTV while I make heart at the kitchen counter. Oh, did I mention my wife has a class tomorrow?

Registered Member

LOL...2 1/2 Hearts...try 8-10 hearts, about 40LBS on average. If it's not 40+ LBS for me it's not worth the time and mess. You got it easy Keith!...Bill

Real Name
    CozyKeith

Yup, easy, hand grinder and all. My main problem is I'm way too picky when I'm trimming heart and it takes forever. Always have to get my money's worth out of the heart. I've really got to try to slash tomorrow.

lol, heart is so cheap I actually throw some premium pieces away to save time. This new place I buy from actually does most of the trimming for me and I don't even have to ask -it comes that way! They do charge a little more than the place I used before, but well worth the extra price since I'm paying for more useable weight.

You could always try seafood, then you don't have to hassle with trimming. Mine didn't take to it, but I might try again if I can find a cheap supply of seafood...
    Eric

Real Name
    CozyKeith

I've actually got a country butcher who was really interested in the fact I was buying beefheart to feed fish, he wondered if I had piranha. He was really interested in what I did with it etc. I'm pretty sure he'd trim it any way I wanted if I just showed him what I was looking for. He might charge me double, but that would still be less than $2 a pound. Next time I need to buy heart, I'll have to do that. Can't pass up the free stuff though.

Oh, and for seafood the shrimp from Wal-Mart works pretty good. Does grind easy though.

Real Name
    Chris

Don't forget the air freshner.

Chris
    "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated."~ Mahatma Gandhi

I have my tiny little violin playing. I had to make it the other night. What a job! Why do you add garlic, oatmeal and flake? I feed flake separately so I don't add it to the mix. I also add calcium carbonate + D, ground up in the coffee grinder with the vitamins. I have to pay almost $2.00 a pound for beef heart, and then I have to clean it!

Real Name
    CozyKeith

The flake and oatmeal I add for binder and I usually eat oatmeal for breakfast on heart making day. I forget what I was told the garlic was good for, but I haven't had my second cup of coffee yet this morning either. Maybe it was suppose to help with internal parasites. The fish chow on it, that's all I know.

I run my vitamins through the coffee grinder too. Dang it's hard getting rid of the evidence on that one. That orange powder likes to get in every crack and crevice of the grinder.

Real Name
    CozyKeith

Slicing.

Real Name
    CozyKeith

1 package, 1/2 a heart done. 2 hearts to go. Oatmeal is cooked. Last nights leftover merlot has been found and a glass poured. HGTV on in the background.

Real Name
    CozyKeith

3:00, I'm done.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennie View Post
    hmm suck it up Keith, and while ur at it, make me a batch too!
    +1 LOL, make it two
    Natalia

We're here for a good time...not a long time..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast