ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: canister filters vs sponge filters

Registered Member

Default canister filters vs sponge filters

I was told and i learned Canister filters and Discus keeping really do not go hand in hand . Sponge filters and Aquaclears do just fine.

I have a 140 gal---Is this true?

Default Re: canister filters vs sponge filters

I use sponge filters and AC but others have success using canisters.
    Pete
    MAGA

Quote Originally Posted by PAR23 View Post
    I use sponge filters and AC but others have success using canisters.
    I would run ACs with sponges also, just that I have tons of Penguin filters. I like the combo of HOB with sponges.
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Registered Member

I use cascade canisters and sponge filters together, with fairly fine sponge prefilters on the canisters. I like redundancy. Part of what I like about canisters in BB tanks is that the return flow can be oriented to herd the poop into discreet areas, making siphoning easier... I just point the return straight down in the corner opposite the filter pickup, keeping turbulence low & creating a laminar flow across the bottom...

Registered Member

So what is the reasoning for not wanting to go canister? I am setting up my new tank for my first discus soon and I was planning to use a filstar xp2 canister along with a sponge filter.

Registered Member

Owning a canister with discus, I can tell you that it's hard to clean the filter, especially when you are feeding foods like beefheart and frozen bloodworms daily. You either have to shut off the flow, or use a prefilter to prevent food rotting in the canister.

Quote Originally Posted by shawnhu View Post
    Owning a canister with discus, I can tell you that it's hard to clean the filter, especially when you are feeding foods like beefheart and frozen bloodworms daily. You either have to shut off the flow, or use a prefilter to prevent food rotting in the canister.
    Yup, those who switch to HOBs from canisters are always happy that they did.
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

What Eddie said! HOB Ac's and sponges. easy easy easy
    Jennie,

Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten

Registered Member

Well I am going to start out with my canister because I have it and all my HOB were garbage so I tossed them. I did not know about prefilter sponges until a few days ago and already have one ready to throw on when I get my tank setup. I would have used these long long ago on my oscar tank if I had known about them.

Registered Member Discus Origins's Avatar

for a tank that size I would go with a sump wet/dry filter and low flow pump. Not only does the media harbor more aerobic bacteria the process also oxygenates the water and the pre-filter (I use DLS pads) catch all the waste/food and I just toss it out and put a new one in every few days. HOBs and canisters usually put too much flow into the tank and if you turn down the flow doesn't clean like its suppose to. I've tried every combination and nothing runs as efficient and clean as wet/dry sump.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by m3h3c3 View Post
    for a tank that size I would go with a sump wet/dry filter and low flow pump. Not only does the media harbor more aerobic bacteria the process also oxygenates the water and the pre-filter (I use DLS pads) catch all the waste/food and I just toss it out and put a new one in every few days. HOBs and canisters usually put too much flow into the tank and if you turn down the flow doesn't clean like its suppose to. I've tried every combination and nothing runs as efficient and clean as wet/dry sump.

Mark
    +1
    I use 'em all, but my wet/ dry's are my backbone...And the sump's my sponge filter farm..never worry about cycling a new one...
    The meek shall inherit the earth. The oceans are for the brave.

I have used a canister filter with prefilter for over a year with my discus no problem.....although cleaning the canister filter can seem harder than clean a hob filter at times.....the only reason I am using a canister filter instead of a hob filter is just because I already had it before I got into discus. And the canister filter does help keep all the poop in one corner for easy siphoning.
    Javier

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by JL15219 View Post
    I have used a canister filter with prefilter for over a year with my discus no problem.....although cleaning the canister filter can seem harder than clean a hob filter at times.....the only reason I am using a canister filter instead of a hob filter is just because I already had it before I got into discus. And the canister filter does help keep all the poop in one corner for easy siphoning.
    How often are you breaking down that canister for cleaning?

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by JL15219 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by broncofan27 View Post
    At least once a month more or less....depends how often I been feeding and what I have fed because I have some foods that fall apart really easy and get sucked up into the filter even with a prefilter.
    Last edited by JL15219; 03-17-2011 at 03:19 PM.
    Javier

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast