AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Is my cycling going well?

Real Name
    Mauro

Default Re: Is my cycling going well?

Thank you for the clarification, Paul. I have an Eheim automatic feeder and therefore I can dispense the appropriate ammount of food.

Hey folks, what varieties of fish are more resistant to relatively bad water conditions (with some nitrate, nitrite and/or ammonia) and which could be used in the final stages of my cycling process?

Thanks in advance.

Mauro

Mauro,
    It appears your cycle may very well be fully completed before you go away on April 10, and since you have an automatic feeder, my view is that the risk to any new fish you introduce before leaving will be very low, and most of them, if not all, should survive until you get back.
    I have no idea what the cost or availability of fish is in Brazil, but my suggestion would be to get a half dozen tetras, assuming they are relatively inexpensive in Rio, any of several strains which are compatible with discus - e.g. cardinals, lemon tetras, glo-lights, head & tail lights, serpaes, whatever appeals to you, and that you would like to keep as tankmates for your discus upon your return. Another option would be to get 3 or 4 of hardier Corydoras, such as Bronze, Pepper, Sterbai - again, whatever appeals to you, and dependant on price & availabilty.
    They are all compatible with discus, but any of them would of course not be immune to the potentially harmful effects of even modest levels of ammonia or nitrites, but I believe that's a calculated risk you may take in your circumstances. There's really no other choice, unless you're prepared to re-start your cycle when you get back, pending your acquisition of discus. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by lizziotti View Post
    I feel your pain I just went through a similar thing with my 80g. I believe the api test kit does not accurately measure ammonia when it gets high. I to feel as though I put in too much and stalled my cycle. I did a 75% water change added tetra safestart monday and some shrimp from the grocery store(gave up on the bottled ammonia). Today my tank seems to be cycled so I'd give it a shot, worked for me! Good luck keep us posted.
    safe start=amazing

I had thought to mention Seachem Stability to Mauro, and someone else had already suggested he use SafeStart, but Mauro said he could not get those type of products in Brazil. I was surprised at that.

Real Name
    Mauro

Actually, I just found out that I can find Seachem Stability and Tetra SafeStart at online providers in Brazil (LFS did not carry them). I am currently on day 24 of my cycling process and only 4 days ago I got my first nitrate reading (it is currently 0.5 ppm). Is it still worth using one of these products? If so, which one should I try?

Are your ammonia levels dropping at all?

Safe start has been a miracle for me my tank was cycled within 4 days since I had already started my cycle. I was about as far along as you same size tank and filters also so I imagine you will have the same results. I personally felt it was worth it since I was getting very impatient.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by DiscusBR View Post
    Actually, I just found out that I can find Seachem Stability and Tetra SafeStart at online providers in Brazil (LFS did not carry them). I am currently on day 24 of my cycling process and only 4 days ago I got my first nitrate reading (it is currently 0.5 ppm). Is it still worth using one of these products? If so, which one should I try?
    According to SeaChem's website, Stability will help your cycle move along a little faster as it supposed to contain nitrifying and denitrifying bacteria. I'm currently using Stability to help speed up the fishless cycling of my new tank. No Nitrites yet (on day 8) but the Ammonia did just drop significantly.

Haven't used safestart, Mauro, but if you decide to use stability, dose the full 7 days exactly as directed.
    On the other hand, looks like you shouldn't need it. Your cycle is now showing nitrates, and you still have 12 days to complete it before you leave. That should do it. Up to you.

Oh you have nitrates now? I agree I would just wait it out.

Real Name
    Mauro

Sorry, everyone, my mistake. I have 0.5ppm of nitrites, not nitrates (that is why I did not major in chemistry or biology).

lizziotti: My ammonia levels are not dropping (stuck at 4/5 ppm).

I think I will try Stability. Thank you all for your feedback!

I think that's a good idea since your ammonia levels haven't dropped at all. Good luck and keep us posted.

Real Name
    Mauro

Today I got home to find a white fuzzy substance, with tine bubbles, in one of the pieces of Manzanita driftowood. Does anyone know what that is? Should I worry or is it something normal during fishless cycling?

No changes in the water parameters: ammonia 4-5 ppm, nitrites 0.5 ppm, nitrates 0 ppm. Ph is 7.2.

I have this also and had it when I first started my planted tank. I was told then it was harmless fungus and would go away on its own. It did so I'm just ignoring it in this tank but if it bugs you you can probably scrub it off.

Real Name
    Mauro

Thank you, lizziotti, for letting me know that you also had this phenomenon in your tank. Let's all hope that it is harmless.

So yesterday I added Seachem Stability to my cycling tank. Today, 24 hours later, I checked my water parameters. And the the big change is:

None The conditions remain the same:

Day 27 - Ammonia 4/5 ppm; nitrite 0.5 ppm; nitrate 0.

I know, I know, I am supposed to be patient, but it is not easy.

Today I also added a small filter with activated carbon. I just want to make sure there are no harmfull chemicals in the tank when I introduce fish (may be some corydoras and tetras) next week.

The good news is that the wild discus exporter has kindly agreed to hold the 6 discus of the Alenquer region that I had personally selected in his hatchery. I am so thankful to him. When (or if?) this cycling finishes and I get the fish I will tell more about him.

So I'm curious what kind of cories and tetras are you going to get? I am Just wondering because so far our setups amd experiences have been so similar that i feel like I'm reading my own threads. Its been so weird. I'm also getting wilds after the 16th since I have to go on an unexpected trip also. I just picked up some swartz cories and lemon tetras after seeing 3dees tank. Look him up if you haven't already beautiful tank. Yours is looking great so far as well I'm impressed!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast