ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: why are FBW so bad?

Registered Member

Default why are FBW so bad?

I see everyone here talking about how fish get addicted to bloodworms and asking how to get them off off the picky diet. I was just wondering what is wrong with them? Not enough nutes? Low protien? Why is it bad to feed them daily?

Default Re: why are FBW so bad?

I don't feed them except as roughage when I think they may need it. not enough nutrients,protein as you say. but who really knows what they need, some feed exclusively fbw and swear by them.
    I also do not trust the Chinese /(Japanese whatever!) sterilization they claim.. if they use lead paint in baby products do you think they care what in your fish food?!
    Last edited by jimg; 03-24-2011 at 11:24 AM.

Real Name
    Rick

Chinese blood worms? You mean Japanese?

These are just my opinions, so take them with a grain of salt.... I think the largest concerns with blood worms are that they
    1) can cause serious allergic reactions in hobbyists
    2)nutritionally questionable.. not all protein is created equal as far as digestibility and usage. Exoskeletons are not well digested, IMO.
    3) collected in the wild or possibly "farmed" outdoors which means higher potential for for picking pathogens and higher potential for absorbing pollutants.
    4) Sterilized???????Not sure how much faith to put into that but since we don't know the processes used I can't really comment there in any meaningful way
    5) Theres many better foods nutritionally and cost wise.... IMO.

Hth,
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Quote Originally Posted by jimg View Post
    I don't feed them except as roughage when I think they may need it. not enough nutrients,protein as you say. but who really knows what they need, some feed exclusively fbw and swear by them.
    I also do not trust the Chinese sterilization they claim.. if they use lead paint in baby products do you think they care what in your fish food?!

I am assuming you are talking about Hikari CBW. If that is the case, they are probably made in California, not China.

Why do most consider it bad? It does have a low protein (6%) content and there is A LOT of water in the food (89% moisture)! You also have to consider the allergy factor. I don't use it anymore for that reason.

Registered Member

In my opinion they do carry pathogens and I have stopped feeding them.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Rick S View Post
    In my opinion they do carry pathogens and I have stopped feeding them.

Rick
    It always seemed that whenever I fed them too I would always get some problem shortly after. It may be coincidence, but I will go months without giving them then I'll think what the hell many do with no problems so I get them and every time I swear never again!

Registered Member

I have gone through the same cycle many times and have always had pathogens as a result. I'm sure some will disagree but I speak only from my experience.

Rick

Registered Member

[QUOTE=brewmaster15;744520]These are just my opinions, so take them with a grain of salt.... I think the largest concerns with blood worms are that they

Could you give me more info on the allergies. I have had the worst allergies in my life the last few months. Super itchy eyes , sinus probs etc. I was wondering if it was algae or other fish related probs , never thought about the worms. Thanks sj

I was getting ready to write the exact words about the super itchy eyes, etc. I am having some of the worst allergies of my life. Never once considered my fish food. Please tell me more.
    Tracy

[QUOTE=gsteve;744552]
    Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    These are just my opinions, so take them with a grain of salt.... I think the largest concerns with blood worms are that they

Could you give me more info on the allergies. I have had the worst allergies in my life the last few months. Super itchy eyes , sinus probs etc. I was wondering if it was algae or other fish related probs , never thought about the worms. Thanks sj
    http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...light=allergic

I had no problem using FBW in the beginning. I thought that it was cool hand feeding my discus with FBW. The excess exposure made me allergic to it. What's worse was that I became allergic to the Freeze Dried Bloodworm by Hikari as well. I ended up with allergic reaction a few times a week for weeks until I did a major wipe down of everything around my house.

Van

Registered Member

If i don't wash my hands throughly right after feeding FRW my eye's swell like crazy, always have....

Registered Member

Ok, I was just wondering. I currently use hikari bloodworms. I ordered some of Al's FDBW… Figure ill give them a try and try to ween my discus off the hikari BW. Are the FDBW ok to use a as a growth promoter in replacment of BH? I don't want to deal with the mess of BH.
    Last edited by Vicfortier; 03-24-2011 at 01:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vicfortier View Post
    I see everyone here talking about how fish get addicted to bloodworms and asking how to get them off off the picky diet. I was just wondering what is wrong with them? Not enough nutes? Low protien? Why is it bad to feed them daily?
    I have asked this question before about why do people claim FBW are so bad besides allergies. But then pictures you see of fish our sponsors on here are selling they are pictures of them feeding the fish you are about to buy FBW. The breeder I bought my first fish from he is not a sponsor on here that is all he told me to feed my fish was FBW and FBS. Here is the thread I started didn't get much response I guess since it was related to our sponsor. Which by no means am I talking bad about our sponsors I have bought almost all my fish from them and will continue.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...ish&highlight=

Quote Originally Posted by dawrtw View Post
    I was getting ready to write the exact words about the super itchy eyes, etc. I am having some of the worst allergies of my life. Never once considered my fish food. Please tell me more.
    I never have had problems allergies in my life until this past week or so. I am hoping it is the weather and not FBW which I have been feeding for over a year and have not had any problems before.
    My wife names my fish

Registered Member

Well holy ... smokes... I would have never thought it was the BW either. I like to feed my guys by hand and never did much about washing my hands after. I have had night where my eyes were swollen almost shut and they were so gunked up in the morning i could barely open them. Throwing out BW as we speak. All BH and salmon from here on.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast